Shaving

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    For those of you that shave your facial hair, do you enjoy it or hate it? Myself, I hate to shave and usually let my facial hair get over grown and when I do decide to shave it is a pain to remove all of that overgrown hair. So, today, I shaved much early time wise than what I usually do and it was much easier and much faster with lesser growth to shave off than to whack off a bunch of overgrown whiskers. I may change my length of time of shaving since it was much less "traumatic" to shave this evening with the shorter time span between my last shave. What is your opinion or preference when it comes to shaving?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I despise shaving . Now that I'm retired I don't have to shave as often . I find that if I go three or four days the beard is softer and actually easier than a two day shave .

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I despise shaving . Now that I'm retired I don't have to shave as often . I find that if I go three or four days the beard is softer and actually easier than a two day shave .

I hate shaving as well since for 13yrs I had to make sure I was clean shaved every day before I reported for work. (Sheriff dept, ambulance company, and auto parts business). A mustach was allowed at all three but it had to be neatly trimmed. After those 3 jobs, I didnt have to worry about shaving every day and would go sometimes as long as 4 or 5 days or more before shaving. Now that I am retired and dont have to shave, I dont really give it much thought and will sometimes go as long as a week, two weeks or a month at times. But if I go a long time, it is really a hassel to cut off all that over growth.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I shave every two or three days. I had been using Dollar Shave Club for years. Tried Harry's. Harry's is much better.
    I use a Gillete Mach 3 razor and blades since that is what I have found to work best for me so far. The replacement blade cartridges are expensive but they do a good job for my shaving needs. I may have to check out Dollar Shave Club and Harry's just to see and compare. I know where to find Dollar Shave Club but where can I find Harry's? Thanks for mentioning them! :hi5:

Last edited:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    https://www.amazon.com/Grooming-hus...dchild=1&keywords=wahl&qid=1624044407&sr=8-16

That cuts everything on my head, face, and neck every three weeks or so. Sometimes the "or so" is 2 months... I use the #1 screen.

As needed, I use a razor to shave my neck area (when I need to be publicly presentable - not often since working from home for 15 months).

I hate shaving too. Only shaving the neck area is much better. But yes, when it gets long, it's a 3-4 pass situation with the razor.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Try a Gillette Oneblade - cuts anything without any razor burn.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    clean shaven for the last 10 years and for the rest of my career... chemical plant process operator, have to wear fresh air av3000 and scott air packs on a daily... I used $ shave club for a while but went back to Gillette Fusion... Thank goodness cause my facial hair grows in all white trash like :dogkeke:, so clean shaven is the best option for me for work and personal appearance....

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    If you are willing to consider wet shaving, you can get a pretty good safety razor at an affordable price and blades are cheap.

Rockwell Razors has a set with multiple
    Plates that let you adjust how close of a shave you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    If you are willing to consider wet shaving, you can get a pretty good safety razor at an affordable price and blades are cheap.

The first time I used a safety razor, I darn near took off a bunch of my skin from my right cheek. Went to school the next day and a classmate asked me about it. "You cut yourself shaving?" I said yes and he said, "You need more practice and experience!"

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington

I'll back you up with that suggestion. I purchased an adjustable Merkur. I picked the heaviest model available. I selected a mixed bag of blades from Ebay so I could have a 2 week window to try the popular blades. I settled on the Shark stainless steel blades and have not looked back. I spend about a penny per blade which can easily last a week.
    I used to shave daily but retirement has changed that. I try to shave every other day but sometimes I put it off. Saves a couple of pennies per month:cool:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I use a Gillete Mach 3 razor and blades since that is what I have found to work best for me so far. The replacement blade cartridges are expensive but they do a good job for my shaving needs. I may have to check out Dollar Shave Club and Harry's just to see and compare. I know where to find Dollar Shave Club but where can I find Harry's? Thanks for mentioning them! :hi5:

Walmart. I ordered a starter pack from Harry's but buy blades at Walmart. Same price as from Harry's.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    The first time I used a safety razor, I darn near took off a bunch of my skin from my right cheek. Went to school the next day and a classmate asked me about it. "You cut yourself shaving?" I said yes and he said, "You need more practice and experience!"

It definitely takes a while to get used to. I had a few mishaps that taught me to go a little slower.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I find the big difference is made by what cream/lotion you use. I use Neutragena Shave Cream, slicker-en-owl-****, followed up by their aftershave lotion that has a minor SPF rating. Gave up on foams and gels years ago. I use Mach 3 Turbo, and can get about ten shaves from one cartridge, five days a week for work, but usually let it go over the weekend. I don't have a horrifically tough beard, just average, I guess, but any more than two weeks and the blades start getting "grabby." I know some folks can't/won't use blades that many times, but it works for me without any irritation, one large pack from Sam's gets me at least half a year.

Top Bottom