Sherburne Condition After Storm??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jughead

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Was thinking of going to Sherburne range. However, was wondering how access into area and condition of ranges are after hurricanes?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Haha, I was just about to ask the same thing. I am thinking of heading out there tomorrow.

Really quick, can anyone give me directions how to get there from Lafayette area. I have been there once but was coming from Baton Rouge and I don't remember. Not only that, but the address doesn't register on google or mapquest. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Directions: If you dont care about a few pot holes and a gravel road you can take the Wiskey Bay exit on I-10 in the basin and go north following the levee. The road goes from pavement to gravel right at the overpass where you exit. But it is a bit of a ride it is EXACTLY 14.6 miles from the start of the gravel to the time you take the right at the LDWF building. There is a info station just a little ways down after you get on the gravel. Stop there and fill out the paper and keep one with you.

Jughead

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Was at Sherburne the other day. Rifle range open. Pistol range is not. This past spring they hired a guy to do some extensive concrete pad work on both ranges. He walked off job when it was partially done and left both ranges sort of messed up. On the rifle range about half the roof structure is gone so if your not first ones there you are liable to be shooting in the sun. On the pistol range a good part of the roof was gone. I didn't think the pistol range was any worse that rifle so I'm not sure why it was closed and rifle range was open. The gravel road into the range from US 190 was in good shape.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Went to Sherburne this morning EARLY . Like Jughead said , some of the roof is missing from the rifle range . Grass is mowed . A fair number of target holders available , including some with " feet " that can be placed anywhere . By 10 am the place started to get busy . By 11 am was over half full . Too busy for me to hang around . You had the guys that wanted to fire two shots then go check their target versus the large groups of bullshitters that took forever to fire enough rounds before going to go check downrange . Time to go home . ( Pistol range closed . I moved my backstop up and shot pistols at the rifle range . )

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    Also went up to Sherburne on Saturday morning. Lots of hunters with their charts, graphs and slick bench rests...very scientific. Knew it was time to leave after walking back to the line after changing targets and seeing a guy a few benches down looking through his scope/rifle at the targets/his buddies downrange. Its been a while since my hunters safety course, but doesn't "range is cold" imply that its safe to go off the line? I was taught that on a range, you were not to handle/load/point a weapon until the line was "hot", let alone point it in the direction of people. Any clarification on this? or am I just being too cautious...

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Also went up to Sherburne on Saturday morning. Lots of hunters with their charts, graphs and slick bench rests...very scientific. Knew it was time to leave after walking back to the line after changing targets and seeing a guy a few benches down looking through his scope/rifle at the targets/his buddies downrange. Its been a while since my hunters safety course, but doesn't "range is cold" imply that its safe to go off the line? I was taught that on a range, you were not to handle/load/point a weapon until the line was "hot", let alone point it in the direction of people. Any clarification on this? or am I just being too cautious...

You should have jumped his ass .

Top Bottom