Shin Splints

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I recently started running. About a week ago I pushed myself hard on a run and developed a nasty case of shin splints. (Inner calf/shin bone pain). I decided to take a week off and ice them everyday because I freaked myself out and didn't want to cause permanant damage.

I went out today and got about a half mile into my run and they came back. Hurt so bad I had to stop running and walk back.

What do you guys recommend I do?

I found out I had mild pronation. (My feet point outwards a little) so I got running shoes with pronation correction.

Anything else?

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    You just have to wait till the heal, or push through it. I got shin splints so bad one time I wanted to have people carry me, only think was I was backbacking and had a two day hike back to base camp. Every step made me want to cry. Anyway, only time can heal.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    quit running is a great way to start stopping the pain....

Try biking or a stairmaster instead. Speaking from experience, your bones will thank you for it.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    You need more potassium. Eat some bananas, it will help. Rest them up for a few weeks. Make sure you have properly fitted shoes on. Try to run on tracks only, not on concrete. Wrap them in ace bandages, then ice them down after you cool down.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    You say you just started running, why? Was somebody chasing you? A stranger with some candy trying to get into your "bad touch" area? I'm confused.:confused:

:rofl:

Jeepers304

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Lafayette
    warm them up with some type of exercise , one that worked for me was writing the abc's with my big toe(suggested from a friend who does tri's), sounds dumb but worked and it was something i had to just push through i also did it as an after run stretch shoes can only help so much

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    Ice, Rest, Anti-Inflammatory.

in the mean time go to a running shoe store and have them check out your gait, stride, foot fall and recommend shoes.

then once the pain is 100% gone on palpation and toe raises.

strength and stretch.

when you return return slow...no more than a 10% increase in distance or intensity in a week..and STRETCH your calves before and after. May even ice after every run no matter what, ice is cheap and effective.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I recently started running. About a week ago I pushed myself hard on a run and developed a nasty case of shin splints. (Inner calf/shin bone pain). I decided to take a week off and ice them everyday because I freaked myself out and didn't want to cause permanant damage.

I went out today and got about a half mile into my run and they came back. Hurt so bad I had to stop running and walk back.

What do you guys recommend I do?

I found out I had mild pronation. (My feet point outwards a little) so I got running shoes with pronation correction.

Anything else?

I poked a few Physical therapist in the last week b/c Shin Splints are widely known to occur but how to rid yourself of them isn't.

The latest seems to show that working on the calf muscles will help alleviate Shin Splints.

Calf Raises Excersies w/ Dumbbells;
    15 toes out
    15 toes straight
    15 toes inward
    (Do the last 5 fast like a burnout)

Anyway here is one of the responses I got about your condition;
    Toe raises!
    From what my physio friends have said, shin splints are most likely the caused by an imbalance in strength between calf muscles and your tibialis muscle (the one that runs down the front of your shin). They say that building that tibialis up with help. One of them described the toe raise exercise as: While you are sitting at your desk, start with your feet flat on the floor, then lift your toes as far up to your shin as you can whit your heel still on the floor and hold for a few seconds. Repeat that 10 times. He recommended it because it was easy for most of his clients to do at work.

Also, I'd imagine that if your buddy knows he pronates, then he probably heel strikes when he runs. If he corrects his running form, he will probably start to avoid getting them all together.

Keep in mind this is to prevent, not to currently HEAL what you already have.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom