Shipping handguns to yourself from state to state

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    If you are a legal resident of two states (yes, that's legal) and own handguns which are located in both states, and you want to ship some to yourself from one state to another, how do you do it?

There shouldn't be a need to go through the FFL process since you already own the guns. In this specific case, the guns are registered in the State they are being shipped from, proving legitimate ownership.

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    ATF Website:
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

So short version: You can ship long guns via registered US mail but handguns must be shipped by a common carrier (i.e. UPS, DHL) and you can ship them interstate if you are shipping them to yourself for a lawful activity.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The part he quoted in bold is not the important part. Look at the line before it. You have to send to an FFL (licensee). IIRC long guns can go ground shipping, handguns have to go overnight Fedex or UPS.

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    SP the 1st one covers that. You may ship firearms to yourself for lawful reasons...I highlighted the handgun portion to ensure that the distinction between handgun and long gun shipping was clear. Also if you read the part you're referring to closely it refers to sending a gun NOT to yourself. Each of the three section posted answers a differnt part of the question...RIF. :)

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Last edited:

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Just A Number is correct. I had researched the ATF web sie when I hadn't gotten a detailled answer to my original post and found the same information.

I'm also covered under another section which allows Residents of multiple States to ship to themselves. BTW, Resident is specifically defined.

I can ship the handguns to myself in care of someone else to hold for my arrival as long as they don't open the package.

I can use ANY common or contract carrier, not just FedEX or UPS. I cannot use the Post Office. As an aside, the overnight requirement is FedEx aor UPS's, AFT does not have an overnight requirement.

I'm going to verifty the details with ATF before I ship.

Top Bottom