Shipping to a Gunsmith question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Thibodaux
    Do you need to send your firearm through a FFL if you are sending it to a FFL gunsmith for repair/customization work? Can that gunsmith ship the firearm back to you or would it have to go throught a FFL for the return?

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    not for repair work. you can send it to the gunsmith directly and he can send it directly back to you. pay attention to how you send it. the ATF doesn't have a specific statement saying it has to be there next day air. if sending through an FFL, the FFL can send it through USPS in a flat rate box and it would be cheap. but if you're sending it yourself, UPS and FedEx has rules that say you have to let them know that a firearm is inside and it has to be sent 2nd Day Air or something like that. I typically let my FFL ship my firearms out. but they can send it directly back to you.

Joe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Thibodaux
    Ok so it has to be Direct both ways via 2nd Day air. Is there any kind of form you need to fill out?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Long gun you can ship USPS, handguns have to go Fedex or UPS. FedEx and UPS, not federal or state law, require you to ship Next Day Air, over 21 Signature Required.
    Cost about $50 one way. And you have to be home to receive the return package.
    I'm at home now waiting for FedEx to deliver a pistol I sent back to the manufacture for repair.

Probably would have been cheaper for me to use a FFL. I'm out $50 for shipping, manufacture paid return shipping, and half a day work waiting on package.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom