Shooting enough to qualify once a year, really?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The reason why I started this was to have an actual discussion regarding shooting ones daily carry weapon more than once a year. I did not question how many guns you own, nor could I give a rats ass... If you would prefer, I have no issue going over the for sale ad and asking all of that and more and **** on your for sale ad (which has been the norm lately)...

I chose to ask it here...

Wouldn't it have been better to make a general statement, as opposed to singling out one member? I think your reaction would be much the same as his, if someone posted:

So, after reading this thread:

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...Shooting-enough-to-qualify-once-a-year-really

I just want to hang my head and shake it in shame? I really wanted to ask him in that thread is he was for real....

Really? You are a moderator, your job is to stop conflicts, and you made this.

Just saying, you might be better off looking at it from the other side.

Last edited:

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i think if an officer wants to utilize their time,we should provide the ammo and facility to let them practice.. cuts can be taken from other parish entitlement programs to pay for this

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    To be fair, I thought it was in poor taste too. My first thought after looking at the thread in question was that you took a leap of faith in assuming that was the only gun he had, or even the only Sig of that type he shot. I know people who have 2-3 guns identical to eachother, leaving their carry gun in pristine condition with no wear, while they practice and beat on their back up guns / spares.

I guess we all get bored sometimes.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    ..... leaving their carry gun in pristine condition with no wear, while they practice and beat on their back up guns / spares.

I guess we all get bored sometimes.

I do that, but I'm not an LEO... so I don't do that "professionally", if that makes sense.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I don't shoot as much as I used to. I get either 2 or 3 weekdays off a week, and at least 1 of them is taken up by extra duty, the other is usually taken up by court, training, or personal errands (groceries, banking, car maintenance, yard work, etc). And sometimes I just wanna relax and ride my bike or sleep. Also thanks to night shifts, some of those days are half lost due to sleep. It's also an hour each way through the hellhole that is baton rouge traffic, guaranteed to roll up on at least 1 wreck that will require me to stop at due to being in a marked unit, and last I heard we could only get 2 boxes of pistol ammo.

Still somehow I'm usually the only one in my range group or my shift to shoot 120's every time.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    So nickatnite is a moderator??? I thought the job of a moderator was to help keep the peace, not put down and ridicule posters.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    So nickatnite is a moderator??? I thought the job of a moderator was to help keep the peace, not put down and ridicule posters.

Not to excuse anyone's behavior, Barry, but don't take anything here personally. Thin skin around here will get you pissed off pretty quickly.

A good portion of the people here (myself included), mean well, but sometimes we're so worried about getting our point across we forget how people might take it. (And some of us are assholes and don't care about what anyone thinks.)

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    It's hard not to take it personally when someone who has never met me and knows nothing about me asks if I am for real. Then he posts a link to my gun for sale and probably turned away some interest. Guess next time I have a gun for sale, I will ask him for guidance on how to post it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Not to excuse anyone's behavior, Barry, but don't take anything here personally. Thin skin around here will get you pissed off pretty quickly.

A good portion of the people here (myself included), mean well, but sometimes we're so worried about getting our point across we forget how people might take it. (And some of us are assholes and don't care about what anyone thinks.)

Damn Skippy! :kiss:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

The "job" of a moderator varies from forum to forum. I've been a moderator of quite a few forums in the past and sometimes it was just to lock threads that got out of hand and other times it was to ban spammers. It depends on what Spanky wants since it is his forum. One thing I can tell you though is that it is a thankless "job" with no benefits or pay. And to be quite frank you know about as much about his moderator "job" as he knows about your firearm training.

Do I agree with his thread that singles out a new user and criticizes him? No. Do I believe that the right to free speech carries over to the internet? Yes. Do I think that being a moderator means you have to be a mindless robot with no opinions? Do I really need to answer that question?

This is a message forum for people to discuss topics. He had a topic he wanted to discuss. He made a thread. I don't agree with about half of the stuff I read on this forum but I still come back daily. :dunno:

It's hard not to take it personally when someone who has never met me and knows nothing about me asks if I am for real. Then he posts a link to my gun for sale and probably turned away some interest. Guess next time I have a gun for sale, I will ask him for guidance on how to post it.

It's the internet bro it's not serious business. Your responses to this thread and the way you are acting is hurting your gun sale more than nickatnight's topic. Be the bigger man, or not, it's your choice. My grandpa used to always tell me "You can't control other people, all you can control is how you react to them and that's what matters in life"

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I totally agree this is out of line. I don't care moderator or not. If you single a persons post then it is not a general discussion about LEO's shooting as much as they should. There are a handful of people on this forum that amaze me. All they want to do is ridicule others and talk smack. It is very easy to talk smack behind a computer screen!! If I see something I don't agree with or don't have anything positive to say then I just hit the back button. Some of these people don't know what that is. That is the only thing I do not like about this forum. I wish all that BS would get cut out!!!!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That is the only thing I do not like about this forum. I wish all that BS would get cut out!!!!

I think it takes a little time to get used to how it works around here. ;)

However, I have a better system you could employ. When I see a thread topic that I know I will absolutely not give a rat's ass about, I don't even open it. :cool:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I got my 1st CHP in Louisiana back BEFORE "Shall Issue" when you had to post a 10k bond, have the LEO sign off and they were all but impossible to get. I got mine because you could get one if your job required it. I was an FFL and required myself to have one! The LEO required that I shoot the same course of fire as his officers and qualify just as they do. Understand I am self taught, not counting what my dad, a Marine Pistol Master, taught me and had never practiced Off hand or Close Quarters Combat at this time. I only had one gun with 2 mags, which was required as a reload was required on many stations and that was my $99 Chinese Norinco Tok so I used it!

I scored a 95 out of 100 out shooting MOST of his men according to him and he was the range officer for the Sheriff's department and responsible for ALL of their gun quals! He was NOT happy that an untrained civilian, with "cheap Chinese crap" out shot most of his officers... HIS words! LOL!

LACHP.jpg

Note the Lisc number and date. THAT is how hard those were to come by!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I got my 1st CHP in Louisiana back BEFORE "Shall Issue" when you had to post a 10k bond, have the LEO sign off and they were all but impossible to get. I got mine because you could get one if your job required it. I was an FFL and required myself to have one! The LEO required that I shoot the same course of fire as his officers and qualify just as they do. Understand I am self taught, not counting what my dad, a Marine Pistol Master, taught me and had never practiced Off hand or Close Quarters Combat at this time. I only had one gun with 2 mags, which was required as a reload was required on many stations and that was my $99 Chinese Norinco Tok so I used it!

I scored a 95 out of 100 out shooting MOST of his men according to him and he was the range officer for the Sheriff's department and responsible for ALL of their gun quals! He was NOT happy that an untrained civilian, with "cheap Chinese crap" out shot most of his officers... HIS words! LOL!

LACHP.jpg

Note the Lisc number and date. THAT is how hard those were to come by!

I got one in Early 80's from Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office(using the job reason), it required NO SHOOTING AT ALL!

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I got one in Early 80's from Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office(using the job reason), it required NO SHOOTING AT ALL!
    It's up to the LEO. He said "if you are going to be on the streets with MY officers, you are going to have to pass the same thing THEY do!" I seriously believe he was slightly peeved I did as well as I did. This is one reason why so few were issued. He could simply say "NO" or make the qualification impossible. We were lucky.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    In this state the hardest thing for most officers(who want to shoot) is to get instanter access to the range. The facility must be available to the officer when he/she has the time--not when it is convenient for the department. Cost of ammo is another issue. A FBI Academy trainee expends around 5000 rounds during the firearms portion of their training but even this is only enough to "qualify" and no more. My personal experience indicates that a new officer should expend about 1000 rounds a week for his/her first year and then daily dry firing and 1000 rounds a month to maintain proficiency. This will bring most of them up to the skill level of a national B (open) class IPSC competitor in a year--also believing they have access to competent instruction/training. Having to buy this amount of ammo themselves will cost them $200-$250 per week and then after a year the same amount a month. So for the first year--$10,000 for ammo alone!!!! Reloading or buying reloaded ammunition will cut that figure in half--or possibly more. It will be necessary to have two guns--one for duty--and one for training. 1000 rounds a week sounds like its of ammo but it would only be 200 rounds a day, five days a week. Various shooting drills can and will expend this 200 rounds in only 30-40 minutes. Certainly less than an hour. So even though 50,000 rounds sounds like lots of shooting--and in some respects it is--this is not unrealistic. How many line officers can afford this much shooting out of their own pockets--almost none. Few--if any--departments--can and will supply this much range time and ammunition for their officers. Here we see that if the department has 50 officers--then 600,000 rounds a year will be required for the troops to maintain a high level of skill. The qualifying course of fire in Louisiana is designed to allow an unskilled person to shoot a numerical score "good enough" for legal purposes--period. Given the expense and time involved, it is little wonder that many officers do not shoot very well. They simply cannot afford it. The departments I was associated with certainly did not go out of their way to help an officer upgrade his/her skills--but both constantly griped about all the additional training/re-training when large numbers of officers could not qualify.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Can I suggest that ANY/ALL ammunition that is confiscated in all criminal cases be used for this additional training as opposed to it being destroyed or tied up in evidence rooms.

Unless these departments are wise enough to do it already. I really don't know.

Top Bottom