Shooting From Inside the Car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ustabee

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2024
    SE Louisiana
    If you have to shoot from inside your vehicle, is that going to damage your hearing?
    I realize that saving your life is a priority over your hearing but I'm just curious.
    Do you keep ear plugs in the vehicle?

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Seriously, what is an IFAK?
    Individual First Aid Kit. In this context that would mostly contain things oriented towards treating combat trauma such as a tourniquet or 2, quick clot, chest seals, gauze, shears, etc, designed to fit in small package on your person. Pretty different from your standard boo boo kit. Very common on people who carry a gun for a living, but should be more common for regular armed citizens.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    If you have to shoot from inside your vehicle, is that going to damage your hearing?
    I realize that saving your life is a priority over your hearing but I'm just curious.
    If you're in a vehicle in a defensive shooting, I can't imagine having the time to put in ear pro. But yes, you'll almost certainly suffer from hearing damage to some degree.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Shooting anywhere without ear protection will damage your ears. Even outside.

That is why plenty of hunters have damaged ears - rifles or shotguns outside with no ear pro.

If you need your pistol in a defensive shooting in your vehicle, it's unlikely you'll have time to get ear pro on.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Individual First Aid Kit. In this context that would mostly contain things oriented towards treating combat trauma such as a tourniquet or 2, quick clot, chest seals, gauze, shears, etc, designed to fit in small package on your person. Pretty different from your standard boo boo kit. Very common on people who carry a gun for a living, but should be more common for regular armed citizens.
    This ^^

I keep this one in my car, all of my travel bags, my work bag, and in my bathroom.

I also keep earplugs in my center console (and all of my bags...I travel a lot lol)...but not for shooting, more for sleeping places that are loud.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Using subsonic ammo can help with that. For example, most .38 special ammo is subsonic, but the box isn't labeled as such. Most .45 loads are subsonic and even many .40 loads are. The 9mm 147gr load is subsonic.
    I once used a MK23 .45 with 200gr HP to kill a big nutra rat. It sounded similar to a balloon popping since it was traveling at under 900fps.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I live in Livingston parish, I have shot out of a truck window quite a few times in my younger days in the early morning hours down a country road… shooting both out the driver side or across and out the passengers window…… I wouldn’t worry about putting in plugs before needing a gun, that’s like carrying a gun without one in the chamber lol….

But any way is it loud, yup!! But life or death, prob like shooting a deer, you never hear the shot lol

lonewolf 76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Louisiana
    Call me weird but are you going to ask the car jacker to wait while you put shooting glasses on and hearing protection (like a timeout) I'm about being safe and responds able but if need be I'll shoot through my door to protect my family and myself hell I might even send a RPG out the window I'll worry about my hearing later jmo

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Yes I do carry earplugs in my truck(hanging from my rear view mirror), no I do not have delusions that I would put them in before I would shoot in a defensive situation.
    Also first aid kit and fire extinguisher just inside the drivers side rear door.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Yes, most discharges of a firearm inside of a vehicle will likely damage your hearing. The importance of carrying a first aid kit with you, specifically one that will deal with trauma that would be caused by a firearm, is invaluable. Go prepared. Just my two cents.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Most vehicles have sunroofs…open it, pop out and shoot. Or you can hold the pistol out the roof like Nessie, this way you don’t mess up your ears, eyes, lungs, windows, and most importantly your hair.
    Sunroofs are in a very small percentage of passenger vehicles in my neck of the woods.

lonewolf 76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Louisiana
    Idk I practice real life scenarios and everyone is different wasn't saying there's anything wrong with first aid kits or hearing protection ECT. I know I probably can't hear a cricket fart from 50 yards anymore but I keep the earplugs next to the tampons at my house lol

Top Bottom