Shooting From Inside the Car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf 76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Louisiana
    My worries LMFAO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317_161744_DuckDuckGo.jpg
      Screenshot_20240317_161744_DuckDuckGo.jpg
      201.1 KB · Views: 24

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you have to shoot from inside your vehicle, is that going to damage your hearing?
    I realize that saving your life is a priority over your hearing but I'm just curious.
    Do you keep ear plugs in the vehicle?
    Absolutely. I once fired a 9mm handgun from the window of my truck on the behest of the property owner and it was bad. Even with the gun completely out of the truck. If you ever have a loud noise like that actually hurt your ears, you’ve done damage and it’s irreversible. Not to mention tinnitus. I hear crickets 24 hours a day. But that’s another story. My wife is an Audiology professor and broke it down for me. I do carry ear plugs in my car but seriously doubt I’d even consider taking the time to put them in if I had to defend. They’re there for backup and have come in handy more than once.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have fired into and out of a vehicle in training using ear protection. I think much of my hearing loss came when several of us were on the firing line and I forgot to move my hearing protection from my neck to my ears until it was too late.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Yes, as others have said, it will be loud inside a vehicle, especially since it is confined. It could/will have a long lasting negative effect on your hearing. BUT an incoming round in the noggin from a bad guy's gun won't help your hearing either, but that's just my opinion. Others may disagree.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Idk I practice real life scenarios and everyone is different wasn't saying there's anything wrong with first aid kits or hearing protection ECT. I know I probably can't hear a cricket fart from 50 yards anymore but I keep the earplugs next to the tampons at my house lol
    Hearing damage is no joke. I hope you're wearing ear and eye protection each and every time you're firing firearms...

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Anything that is supersonic or hypersonic is going to hurt your ears in an enclosed space. In that situation, subsonic ammo will be much easier on your ears.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Muzzle location means a lot. If you're inside the vehicle with the windows closed and you're shooting out, that's probably worst-case scenario for your hearing. With a large enough caliber it could possibly cause concussive damage/TBI as well. Windows down but muzzle inside of the vehicle, this is still incredibly loud and damaging but much reduced from the windows up. If the muzzle is outside of the window the sound will be greatly reduced inside the car, still plenty enough to cause hearing damage but the chances are lower.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Absolutely. I once fired a 9mm handgun from the window of my truck on the behest of the property owner and it was bad. Even with the gun completely out of the truck. If you ever have a loud noise like that actually hurt your ears, you’ve done damage and it’s irreversible. Not to mention tinnitus. I hear crickets 24 hours a day. But that’s another story. My wife is an Audiology professor and broke it down for me. I do carry ear plugs in my car but seriously doubt I’d even consider taking the time to put them in if I had to defend. They’re there for backup and have come in handy more than once.
    I have tinnitus I hear cicadas and a tones all the time. And I have VA hearing aids for bilateral hearing loss.

Jf837

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    As someone who has done a lot of shooting through vehicle windshields (in training) I always have clear eye pro attached to my driver's side visor. Glass "dust" getting into my eyes while trying to shoot is more of an issue than hearing loss at that point (IMO). Like ear pro, I don't know that I will have time to don them in a defensive manner, but at least they are there if time permits.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Hearing damage is no joke. I hope you're wearing ear and eye protection each and every time you're firing firearms...
    I sat front roll in front of a wall of speakers at a Alice Copper concert in 1979. It was so loud i couldnt stand still. Took years for my ears to fully regain hearing.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I shot a 30-06 inside of a inclosed deer stand and the barrel was below the hand rail because of how big the stand was. So the barrel was inches below and from the side of the stand....

1710895064555.png

Top Bottom