Shooting Glasses versus Multi Focus Contact Lenses

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Just got back from my annual eye exam; I am 51. I still like to shoot open sights but have a hard time picking up a dark front blade...as do most people over 40. Optics eliminate the problem and high visibility open sights, either fiber or tritium, reduce the problem.

Before I went for the exam I printed all the material I could find about changing the focal point to 30 inches to make it easier for the eye to pick up the front sight. The doctor read the material and said it wasn't necessarily true but suggested I try Multi Focus Contact lenses.

When I got home I pulled out a single action revolver with a black front blade and my ability to pick up the black front blade was much improved. I'm won't remove the fiber and tritium sights from other guns but I'll take the additional clarity provided by the Multi Focus Contact lenses.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have the same issue you have and I'm half your age. Picking up the front sight is slightly hazy, but with big bright front dots, I can see them just fine, albeit still hazy.

Thanks to Tyler, at Interstate Guns for the suggestion and install :thumbsup:
    16318891202_8cecd150f6_z.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As a near sighted older person, and corrective contact lens wearer, I struggled with the same issue the OP is explaining. My dilemma came when I first started practicing indoors with the USPSA setups. It really threw me off. Over time, I trained my focus to find the target first, then focused on the front sight to shoot. Now I don't even notice the transition. It's instantaneous and automatic. On top of that, I too went with a high visibility front sight dot. Getting that affixed to your gun is a no-brainer. Sight impaired or not.

Now, I will admit I am not winning any matches; but I am at least in the game and shoot fairly well. Multi-focus lenses would just screw me up.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed. I wear bifocals. I brought my handgun to the eye doctor. He made me shooting glasses. The left lens focuses on the front sight and the right lens has my far distance prescription. Takes about 30 minutes to get accustomed to it, but works great.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom