Shooting issue. What can I do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I have an issue that I cannot seem to overcome no matter what I try
    and I'm looking for some new suggestions on how to train myself to overcome this issue.

I always BLINK when I take a shot. I have tried everything I know of
    to keep this from happening but it always does. I focus on the front sight,
    squeeze and I always BLINK.

I'm not a terrible shot but any means, but I'm sure I could improve my skill
    if I could manage to keep my eye on the sight and SEE where the bullet strikes the target because Im not blinking.

How do I rectify this problem? What training aids/tools will help me overcome this?

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Shoot an entire mag at a time, repeat until all mags are empty. You should see a major improvement in a short time.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Have you tried tweaking your stance more specifically upper body, driving straight out with your arms & also breaking your shot on your natural respiratory pause ??

even if your eyes are closed with a proper combination between stance, grip, trigger control, breathig control, (sight alingment, sight picture) your shots should be almost where you are "pointing" at

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I may be way off base here but run a few mags while not looking at anything. Just look forward. Concentrate on keeping your eyes open and feeling the gun fire/recoil etc.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    When I 1st started shooting, I was given this helpful advice for the blinking problem, and it worked for me. As stated above, shoot an entire magazine, but shoot it as fast as you can while concentrating on keeping your eyes open (BOTH of them). After a couple of training sessions my problem was solved.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I like Spanky's idea.

I would also suggest practicing in the prone with a .22.

However it would be best to be outdoors in a pasture or something by yourself.

In the prone, with something to shoot at not too far away. Look through the sites, then down at the grass, then back through the sites. Control your breathing, I mean your going back to GI joes as a youngster dreaming about being a sniper. Take your time and imagine you and the rifle are one. Slow and easy and then squeeeeeeze the trigger. Take another 30 seconds before the next round.

I know it sounds all spiritual that's b/c it is. In the Marine Corps shooting the 500m is no easy task. 10 rounds in 20 minutes. Sounds like a lot of time but most everyone took the full 2 minutes and some didn't get off all 10 rounds. Seriously though that's where I learned the most about shooting. At 500m where the front sight post covers the whole damn target. Breathing, relaxation and a slow and smooth trigger pull are absolutely essential. That's where all the techniques come into play.

I say that to say this. IMO that's what helped me. When I could shoot focused and in control the shot surprised me sometimes.

I took those methods to the Pistol Range. However you can’t take as long b/c your shooting a handgun extended out in front of your body. I rarely go to the Pistol Range and just take my time shooting. I try and practice double taps, failure to stop drills and acquiring and firing at multiple targets drawing before each set.

When shooting at multiple targets with a hand gun things were just natural for me. I was more focused on the targets and next target than being concerned about recoil and flinching. I knew what the gun was going to do but knew I was in control of it.

Oh and you might want to try BOTH eyes Open shooting, that could solve all this with practice.

I practiced BOTH eyes open with my Walther p22 (CHEAP) before I started with my Carry Piece.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I'm not sure if it is the sound thing or what. I do full mag dumps quite frequently when I'm at the range, its one of the things I practice. Trying to put a full mag in the black of the target as fast I can.

If it is the sound, when I sit at the computer, I usually have headphones on listening to music, etc. Wonder if I had an audio track with random noise like a shot at unpredictable times would help?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Either way when you hear the sound, the bullet is most likely at the target so it's not affecting your accuracy.

I see it only affecting your ability to quickly acquire and fire rapidly.

Opening and Closing your eyes is smoking your pupils with light to dark - light to dark :mamoru:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You can't hear a gun when double plugged?

Not enough sound to make any diference to me, I mean I'm guilty of sometimes shooting without hearing protection and if im really concentrated it takes a couple of shots before I realize I'm naked specially when doin backyard shooting to the steel plate

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I still blink when I'm shooting a big caliber in either rifle or pistol if I just grab it and shoot, but it's usually no big deal as I'm usually back on target after the recoil and can usually keep myself from doing it with a little bit of dry firing.

I'd suggest a LOT of dry firing. Blinking after the blast is normal, but if you're blinking before the bullet impact then it's most likely associated with a flinch (an anticipation of the coming blast). Make sure your gun is unloaded.......then make sure it's unloaded again.......then pick a spot on an empty wall or a safe direction and dry fire till you can't concentrate anymore. With each shot think about the basics, your natural point of aim, and really focus on your follow through. Do the same thing for a few minutes at the range before shooting live ammo and you'll see a considerable improvement.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    As a side note, trying to see where the bullt hit is just as much of a problem as the blinking. Unless you are doing slow bullseye shooting you should be 100% focused on the front sight. Looking for holes will do terrible things to your accuracy and speed.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    A great trick that I would add to the dry firing to an empty wall is putting a penny on top of your front sight, IF you arent doing any of the steps correctly you will see the penny drop, specially if you are anticipating the shot.

I do this on frequent basis and it has helped me A LOT, dry fire dry fire dry fire, until you can hear the click but the penny doesnt drop thats when you know you got it

Top Bottom