Shooting issue. What can I do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Is this a blink as in some kind of flinch when you're breaking the shot? Or just a normal blink, that's ill-timed?

What I discovered is that pretty much any issue that involves lack of control is a form of anticipation. For example, I am still working on being able to alter my shooting cadence and/or hold at trigger reset. For some reason, with live rounds in the gun, I have a hard time slowing myself down. It's like I have to get the thing empty ASAP-- although I still keep pace with the sights, and maintain accuracy.

Anything exercise that is intended to address anticipation will help, and you'll be able to tailor several of them to your own specific problem. For instance...

Cap-and-Ball drill. Your standard, where you load up mags with live rounds and snap caps in random order. The goal is to not know when the gun will go "click" instead of "bang". You know right away if you're flinching with this drill, and it's a darn fine exercise to help you get over it.

Modify it for your "blink". Load up a mag in which you KNOW the order-- bang, bang, click. Bang, bang, click. See if you can keep yourself from blinking when the snap cap is in the chamber. Knowing when the gun won't have a live round in it may also ease your nerves enough to get you to stop blinking on the last "bang". After a few repetitions, mix up the balls and caps and see if you've improved.

As others have said, Dry Fire in general is going to be your best tool. 100 dry pulls for every 1 live, and provided you're practicing well, you'll solve the problem in no time. This is of course assuming you don't blink on an empty chamber. :eek3:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Pick up a cheap airsoft or bb gun and spend some time practicing in the back yard. No recoil with those.
    If you're anticipating or flinching then have someone load mags for you either with dummy rounds or snap caps.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've always been a little gun shy when others are shooting big bore rifles or I'm at an indoor range. Not so much when I'm shooting though.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I'm pretty sure the problem is anticipation of the recoil. It's not so bad that I pull my shots way off target, but its enough to not allow me to be as accurate as I could be.

Pablo, didn't you mention something about training with a camera? Maybe I should set up my video camera so I can see my face and my reaction during live fire to see
    exactly what is happening and it may give me some better insight on the problem and how to correct it.

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    i read about a way to learn to control 'flinch' that i wonder if it might help - go shoot with someone, and have them hand you the gun without knowing if it is loaded or not.
    When you pull the trigger, they say you can pretty quickly see if you are flinching or not.
    may help with the blinking?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom