Shooting Snakes in Neighborhood

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Gents,

I live outside of Walker, Denham Address outside of city limits but inside a neighborhood. I have kids and lots of snakes. I know you can't fire a rifle or handgun within X amount of ft/miles/yards/meters whatever from a house. My question is doe that go for snake/rat shot as well? I wanna keep my 22 revolver w me and just blast the suckers but I don't wanna spend the night in jail. Im 99% sure the answer is Jail, but I figured Id at least ask and weather the attacks on here. :D

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I know that, I have seen 3 in the past week around the kids and they tend to get away before I can get to a shovel. The point is to have it on me and kill them when I see them...22 fits in a holster better than a shovel anyway.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I don't think we are on the same page here, Why would you be worried about LPSO if your neighbor's don't care ? I suggest you talk to all of em'. If some object then just catch the snake's and throw em' over the neighbor's fence that voiced objection ?
    I'm sure they will come around to your way of thinking ?

My immediate neighbors don't care. Im more worried about LPSO.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I know that, I have seen 3 in the past week around the kids and they tend to get away before I can get to a shovel. The point is to have it on me and kill them when I see them...22 fits in a holster better than a shovel anyway.

Shooting a moving snake with a .22 pistol is easier said than done.

I usually just catch the non-poisonous ones and relocate them. The poisonous ones get shooed away with a long stick.

If you really want to shoot them, a pellet gun works.

JR1572

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Shooting a moving snake with a .22 pistol is easier said than done.

I usually just catch the non-poisonous ones and relocate them. The poisonous ones get shooed away with a long stick.

If you really want to shoot them, a pellet gun works.

JR1572

The question is for Rat shot, not a regular 22 round. That is the only reason Im asking, I wouldnt shoot a normal 22 round in the neighborhood.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I've never heard of anyone using that stuff.

I'm curious to know how well it works.

JR1572

Ive killed them with it before. Its not always a one shot murder fest, but usually after a 2nd shot they are dead. Rat shot in a 38 or larger usually blasts them pretty good first shot.

shooter7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    southeast LA
    I think the answer is shoot them, preferably with a shotgun, ask for forgiveness later. You are protecting your family, which is #1 and a Sheriff's deputy will probably not put you in jail for that. He/she would shoot the same snake in a different scenario. Shoot em, talk later.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Rat shot sucks or at least the CCI shot shells do. Tried shifting snake a few inches under water from 2 ft away, stung snake for awhile then he got pissed. I use hollow points, stingers preferred but too noisy in a neighborhood. BTW several of my neighbors are LEO's and don't mind me shooting snakes and I live in same area as OP.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I think the answer is shoot them, preferably with a shotgun, ask for forgiveness later. You are protecting your family, which is #1 and a Sheriff's deputy will probably not put you in jail for that. He/she would shoot the same snake in a different scenario. Shoot em, talk later.

You really are trolling hard today. Ask anyone for money to shoot competition today?

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Rat shot works fine up to approximately 7'. I dispatch them with 10/22. Won't cycle the action, but takes care of the snakes and field mice.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Must be 100' from a road and 500' from a residence in Livingston Parish if you are not in a City/Town. Not allowed in a City/Town.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    My dad used one of these.

So do I.

Never needed anything else, so far......

2316600_L_01.JPG

Top Bottom