Shore fishing for reds/trout on Lake Pontchartrain

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Opened a can of worms trying to google and YouTube myself into an understanding of the "proper" method for fishing from the lake shore.

Everyone has their own opinions and I'm sure they're all right to a degree. I'd like a more local idea of how it's done.

No boat for me unless I go out with a buddy, so all shore/wading.

What I have: Penn Spinfisher V 4500LL with a M-XF 7.5 ft Penn Legion Inshore rod. Honestly, I've heard better things about St. Croix and others but Penn is giving out a $90 bag with $200 purchase of Penn Products. I like that the Spinfisher is sealed for fishing on the shore and wading.

Id like to use all braid or mono-backed braid. Not totally sure on what test. Thinking 150ish yards of 15-20 braid backed with (40#? 12#? No idea) mono to fill the spool.

Big subject of contention here is "Shock Leader." How long? What test? Knot or swivel? I do want a monofilament shock leader, but I can't find any sort of consensus on how to use it. They say to match the thickness of the braid with the mono, but then we're talking weaker shock leader than the braid I'm using. Is that how it's done? I really like the improved Albright for knots to join mono and braid together.

After the shock leader do I use another leader to my hook/lure? Simple swivel and more mono? What point test should this mono be? How long? I've seen anything from 18" down to 3". 3" seems like it would be too likely to spook the fish as it went by, but let me know if that's not true.

Finally, I'm in Slidell so will be fishing around here. Any recommendations on spots to try out would be appreciated.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Have you tried the old bridge they turned into a fishing pier yet?

Not yet, no. First outing will be this coming weekend. I'll be taking my son as well and probably my daughter so not sure how much real fishing I'll get in, but have to start somewhere.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Id like to use all braid or mono-backed braid. Not totally sure on what test. Thinking 150ish yards of 15-20 braid backed with (40#? 12#? No idea) mono to fill the spool.

If your using braid go with 40 lb power pro filled to the brim by a local tackle shop. The Super slick stuff casts nicely. You will not save money buying a spool and filling it yourself. More is wasted that way and you need the line put on the spool tight otherwise it'll dig in when your fishing. I find 40 # power pro to be a nice diameter for all around use on a spinning reel that size.

Big subject of contention here is "Shock Leader." How long? What test? Knot or swivel? I do want a monofilament shock leader, but I can't find any sort of consensus on how to use it. They say to match the thickness of the braid with the mono, but then we're talking weaker shock leader than the braid I'm using. Is that how it's done? I really like the improved Albright for knots to join mono and braid together.

With that length rod don't bother with a shock leader. Your not gonna generate enough umph to really call for it. 40lb power pro works well and won't cut your finger casting a 1 oz or 2 oz bank sinker which is standard weights for bank fishing the lake front. 30 lb and below WILL CUT YOU slinging lead sooner or later.

After the shock leader do I use another leader to my hook/lure? Simple swivel and more mono? What point test should this mono be? How long? I've seen anything from 18" down to 3". 3" seems like it would be too likely to spook the fish as it went by, but let me know if that's not true.

I use 20 lb berkley big game mono for bottom rigs. 1 oz or 2 oz bank sinkers if the wind is really bad for standard bottom rigs. 3/0 J hooks for dead shrimp threaded on or 2/0 Khale hooks for live shrimp hooked through the horn will catch most normal stuff worth catching. If you start getting a lot of machine gun hits (tap tap tap tap tap) its pinfish stealing your bait.

When you get snagged point the rod at the snag, reel down, clamp your hand on the spoon to prevent the drag from moving, and then use short but powerful pulls IN-LINE WITH THE DIRECTION OF THE ROD butt, to break the weak point (the mono). Don't use the rod to pull free of the snag. Bending the rod too much will break it no matter what the rod is made from or who makes it. Carry a piece of wood just incase you get really really really stuck and have to wrap braid around it to break free.

Finally, I'm in Slidell so will be fishing around here. Any recommendations on spots to try out would be appreciated.

Fish should be cruising the shores of the lake right after day break. Sun comes up everything goes deep (i.e. away from the bank) except for the occasional drum and sheepshead. You'll see more action before the sun gets up there.

Top Bottom