Sig is in BIG trouble now.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Rewind, Glock STILL has never publicly addressed the "upgrade" (Recall) they did in the 90's with their changeover from the black coated internal parts to the silver.

To make a long story short, the NYPD adopted them, they burst fired or ND's when the gun was loaded, Glock said it wasn't possible, NYPD hinted they were trading them all for Ruger's, Glock sent out 18 wheelers with machine shops in them to modify the internal parts while new ones were being produced, they produced the "upgrade parts" fixed it all and changed over to the new parts. To this day they have never told the public, and if you find a Gen 1,2 gun with black internal parts they will swap them all no questions asked.

Obviously their guns are reliable and safe now, but even Glock went thru this, but they kept it out of the public. Theirs is a case study on how a major manufacturer can move past a problematic product.
    Both my 17 and 17L gen 1 have these parts. This is interesting info. Thanks!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The NOPD marked department issued Gen 3 G22 did have the "New York" trigger, but reserve officers had to purchase their own and were able to get away with the factory trigger. Some of the regular officers secretly replaced the issued trigger with the 5.5lbs or even the 3.5lbs. The only downside was having this discovered after a shooting.

Yes, but it wasn't worth it, in my opinion, to sneak in a lighter trigger. If something happened and I had to use my weapon, there's a couple of additional issues a lighter trigger would have carried with it, even if I were justified. Hearing "So you like to break the rules...what other procedures did you not follow?" and/or "Did you modify your issue weapon to make it easier to fire because you wanted to shoot someone?" from the opposing attorney. And whatever administrative discipline for violating policy. They didn't check it every time I went to the range but they did look at my G23 and made sure it was the heavier trigger before I was allowed to qualify with it the first time.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Yes, but it wasn't worth it, in my opinion, to sneak in a lighter trigger. If something happened and I had to use my weapon, there's a couple of additional issues a lighter trigger would have carried with it, even if I were justified. Hearing "So you like to break the rules...what other procedures did you not follow?" and/or "Did you modify your issue weapon to make it easier to fire because you wanted to shoot someone?" from the opposing attorney. And whatever administrative discipline for violating policy. They didn't check it every time I went to the range but they did look at my G23 and made sure it was the heavier trigger before I was allowed to qualify with it the first time.

Man come on. Think about what you wrote. A 12 pound trigger is a 12 pound trigger no matter double action revolver or striker fired semi auto. 12 pounds is 12 pounds no matter what goes on behind the scenes.

This is analogous to 12 tons of feathers or 12 tons of lead. Its still 12 tons.
    A 12lbs trigger is not the same as a 5.5lbs trigger. I am personally just as safe with a the lighter trigger, it's likely that you are as well, but you can't just assume everyone else is on your level.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A 12lbs trigger is not the same as a 5.5lbs trigger. I am personally just as safe with a the lighter trigger, it's likely that you are as well, but you can't just assume everyone else is on your level.

The only time I've had the NY trigger is on the issued glock 22 and the backup 23. The factory trigger on all the other glocks I've owned or been issued has been just as safe for me.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Ok, I think I am tracking now.
    You are saying a 12 pound double action trigger (Think S&W 686) is safer for the user than a 5.5# trigger of a striker fired Glock. I agree, but this is now apples to oranges.

I initially thought you meant the 12 pound 686 weight was safer than a NY2 in a Glock. Where I stated they are the exact same.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Yes, but it wasn't worth it, in my opinion, to sneak in a lighter trigger. If something happened and I had to use my weapon, there's a couple of additional issues a lighter trigger would have carried with it, even if I were justified. Hearing "So you like to break the rules...what other procedures did you not follow?" and/or "Did you modify your issue weapon to make it easier to fire because you wanted to shoot someone?" from the opposing attorney. And whatever administrative discipline for violating policy. They didn't check it every time I went to the range but they did look at my G23 and made sure it was the heavier trigger before I was allowed to qualify with it the first time
    Yes, but it wasn't worth it, in my opinion, to sneak in a lighter trigger. If something happened and I had to use my weapon, there's a couple of additional issues a lighter trigger would have carried with it, even if I were justified. Hearing "So you like to break the rules...what other procedures did you not follow?" and/or "Did you modify your issue weapon to make it easier to fire because you wanted to shoot someone?" from the opposing attorney. And whatever administrative discipline for violating policy. They didn't check it every time I went to the range but they did look at my G23 and made sure it was the heavier trigger before I was allowed to qualify with it the first ti

You are saying a 12 pound double action trigger (Think S&W 686) is safer for the user than a 5.5# trigger of a striker fired Glock. I agree, but this is now apples to oranges.

I initially thought you meant the 12 pound 686 weight was safer than a NY2 in a Glock. Where I stated they are the exact same.
    Ok, I understand the point you were making now. I didn't realize that you were referring to 12lbs striker-fired versus 12lbs hammer-fired. I will admit that the difference is a matter of perception and personal preference.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Agreed

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

It's been a while, but I went ahead and tried the NY trigger on my Gen 3 G22 again. You get that stiff wall before the break and quite a bit more resistance. It really is about the same as a hammer-fired 12lbs trigger. It just has a different feel to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240627_154235381.jpg
      IMG_20240627_154235381.jpg
      437.1 KB · Views: 14

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It's been a while, but I went ahead and tried the NY trigger on my Gen 3 G22 again. You get that stiff wall before the break and quite a bit more resistance. It really is about the same as a hammer-fired 12lbs trigger. It just has a different feel to it.

Did you put the LCI extractor on that gun or did it come with it?

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    That's not good for the industry and by that I mean they should have had a mandatory recall early on since they knew there was a problem. This will help set the stage for more frivolous lawsuits, not that this one was frivolous.
    Right this one doesn't seem frivolous to me, given the info I've read but the next 2 or 3 dozen??

Yeah gonna be a crap fest of Ben (it's a TRAVESTY) Crump appearances . . . . . .

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    How did it "go off" with no round in the chamber ?

EDIT:

To be clear... He was demo'ing the gun to you and inserted live rounds in the gun behind the counter ? Is that what you are saying happened

And what store was it ?
    I'd like to know too - sounds like you might want to put that one on the "avoid at all costs/in fear of my life" places.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom