sig p250 or springfield xD?? help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    meh... to answer your question:

I don't care for either really, but between the two, my gut feel would be for the Sig.

If it were me, I would save a hundred more bucks and shop around a little before trying to choose between two mediocre-at-best firearms.

Aaron

Please excuse my ignorance, but what issues do the xd pistols have that make the "mediocre at best"?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Meh.

Of the 2, I'd take the XD. The trigger, ergos and universal reliability should be best in that pistol. The fact that it's 9mm over .40, a Service sized model and comes with more mags and such helps to sway me.

The idea behind the interchangeability of the 250 is novel, but in my limited experience, all you end up with is a bunch of mediocre guns of different sizes and calibers. They feel extremely hokey, even when compared to the XD-- and that's saying a lot. Personally, I find the grip angle, circumfrence and shape to be pretty rotten on the 250, but I've heard others rave about how wonderful it feels. YMMV in this regard.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Since it's a done deal...good luck with your XD.

I'll say what lots of others were hinting at though. Depending on what the "reasonable" price for the two were, you probably could have had a Glock for just a tad more, or an M&P for that matter. It's ALL about dogged determination to find the gun you want at the price you want on the internet. If you invest enough time in your search, you WILL find what you want at what you want to pay. Have done that time, and time, and time again.

Good luck with your XD. Not my cup of tea ( I find, even in the XDM, that the slide sits too high and it just feels odd to me, TOTALLY subjective on my part). I'll defer to LSP and others with more information perhaps on reliability and who is passing what trials.

Oh...and...Merry Christmas !!!

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what issues do the xd pistols have that make the "mediocre at best"?

I owned one (XD not the new XDm) and sold it... my gripes (only my opinions/experience)

1.) grip safety. I just don't think it's needed on this weapon platform... just another thing that could go wrong when you need it.
    2.) Mine rusted... I once left it in my truck over night, next day it was literally covered in rust.
    3.) it's made in croatia
    4.) mine had problems out of the box, rounds would get stuck on the feed ramp... had to sit there and polish the hell out of it to get it to feed. I don't believe in having to "break in guns"... it should work out-of-the-box!
    5.) it just felt cheap to me.

Plus the fact(s)
    1.) They really aren't cheap anymore...that was the only good thing about them! Now you can get a Glock for what they are asking
    2.) If you are going to buy a first pistol, and maybe only own one, buy one that you can get tons of parts for and there are glock armors on every corner... and that has been proven over years of use.
    3.) Glock magazine(s) and parts were cheaper... at least at the time.

I agree with what others are saying about the P250... it does feel pretty hokey, and it just looks like the slide is going to fall off or something at any time. That said, I'd generally take a SIG over something made in Croatia... just my .02.

Aaron

Aaron

stashooter

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    saint amant
    Thanks to all you guys! You did help in aiding my decision. I shot a glock the other day and I know you all will disagree lol but I did not like the feel of the gun. Just wasn't natural. Now the m&p was a choice and I will own it one day. But. Buying an xD service with all gear under 400 rounds with a ALS safari holster I could not pass up.
    Once again thanks to all of your help. :).

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    One more thing to think about is that you listed yourself as new to handguns. Many shooters have trouble with recoil control on multiple shot strings when firing a .40 caliber handgun, while most shooters can control 9mm. I would suggest at least starting off with a 9mm and get your fundamentals down, then reevaluate the larger caliber if desired.

stashooter

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    saint amant
    Ok I should clarify this up lol. I'm new to handguns; in knowing what is good and what isn't within the limits of. Mechanics. I shoot a verity of weapons all the time. Over 1000 rounds in my Taurus itself. Plus a few glocks and 1911s.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would probably go with the XD just because of caliber, I cant stand the P250 the trigger on it is a step above the Sigma IMO.

The xd has its limitations as well but if you can look past it she will serve you very well, the triggers are very smooth & consistant from factory, very accurate out the box.

My vote would be Glock or M&P but those were out the question .............

Taurus and 1911 belong in the safe :)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The one thing I really grant the XD (m anyway) is the best out-of-the box trigger within the category. The M&P can be the best after some work, the Glock takes the lead (if you are willing to train on it) the easiest and cheapest (shoot it a bit and drop in a 3.5# connecter *thats in spec*). But fresh from the gun case, the XDm is in the lead.

Top Bottom