Sight in distance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Sight it based on use and engagements. You will still have to know your holds but I usually get it as close as possible at 7-10 yards and then bring it to bench rest at 25 yards for final adjustments

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    shooters preference, whatever YOU will most likely be shooting at.

anything past 25yds with a 9mm seems a bit ridiculous for a carry dot. If this is a handgun were talking about, but hey its your gun.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    shooters preference, whatever YOU will most likely be shooting at.

anything past 25yds with a 9mm seems a bit ridiculous for a carry dot. If this is a handgun were talking about, but hey its your gun.

Louisiana LEO have to qualify out to 25 yards. To become a Louisiana LEO Firearms Instructor you have to qualify out to 50 yards.

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    Louisiana LEO have to qualify out to 25 yards. To become a Louisiana LEO Firearms Instructor you have to qualify out to 50 yards.
    I understand there is a fundamental gain to marksmanship past the 25yd line, but practically speaking refer to this photo.

Attachments

• FBI-LEOKA-chart.jpg
      FBI-LEOKA-chart.jpg
      142 KB · Views: 79

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I understand there is a fundamental gain to marksmanship past the 25yd line, but practically speaking refer to this photo.

The FBI Pistol Course used to be out to a maximum of 50 yards but has been reduced to a maximum of 25 yards in recent years.
    Many LEA handgun courses are a maximum of 15 yards.

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    Makes sense, practice how you fight. If gun fights are happening closer and closer train for that. Sure making beyond 75' hits is good and a true test of marksmanship with the handgun but what's the practical application to that? I don't find one. Most guys cant even get out of their holsters in a reasonable amount of time let alone making a beyond 75' hit off the rip.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I just set mine up at 15 yards. I have not shot it yet at 5, 20, & 25 just to see what the variation is, but that’s my plan next time out.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Makes sense, practice how you fight. If gun fights are happening closer and closer train for that. Sure making beyond 75' hits is good and a true test of marksmanship with the handgun but what's the practical application to that? I don't find one. Most guys cant even get out of their holsters in a reasonable amount of time let alone making a beyond 75' hit off the rip.

Welcome new guy.
    I have shot with JBP55 on occasion carry permit renewal that started MANY years ago.
    Matter of fact, he made me draw from a holster and bang a target a foot from me. Among other things including shoot weak hand and charging one hand in addition to the standard requirements for a cert. This old dude has a lot of lead down barrels.
    Im going predict from your first few posts that you will not be well received here.
    Anyway, welcome.

Last edited:

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    Welcome new guy.
    I have shot with JBP55 on occasion carry permit renewal that started MANY years ago.
    Matter of fact, he made me draw from a holster and bang a target a foot from me. Among other things including shoot weak hand and charging one hand in addition to the standard requirements for a cert. This old dude has a lot of lead down barrels.
    Im going predict from your first few posts that you will not be well received here.
    Anyway, welcome.

What an odd welcome lol, but thanks. Everyone I’ve met with and done business with has been nothing but pleasant. Cheers!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Barry, if it’s a gamer gun, 15 yards should get you on target from 5-25 yards without having to think about hold over/under.
    Should work equally as well for a defensive weapon too.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I practice at Honey Island with the steel plates on the right side. Front sight placement then bang, I just watched body cam from the shooting in Fargo and I can see the need for LEO to also practice at further distances. Ya'll stay safe out there.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Paddle007, that officer did a great job under unimaginable pressure. No optic but it also showed how many rounds it took to neutralize a dedicated terrorist because that's what the shooter was. I'm sure the media will now use the type of gun and RPM being fired to push more control.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I practice at Honey Island with the steel plates on the right side. Front sight placement then bang, I just watched body cam from the shooting in Fargo and I can see the need for LEO to also practice at further distances. Ya'll stay safe out there.
    He engaged a threat, who had already shot three people and was actively firing, with a semi automatic rifle at 82 yards away.

He had iron sights on his Glock, and made 21 hits on the aggressor out of 31 fired at that distance, under fire.

I'd say he did fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom