Sight press tool, gunsmith or punch and hammer? I need opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    I've never changed sights but I'm considering doing so on a gun I own and one I'm about to own. Which is the best option? I am only considering changing sights on M&Ps. Should I buy the sight press tool, learn to use a punch and not scratch the finish or pay a smith to change them without marring the finish? The press/tool is about $100. If you'd like to throw in your opinion about brand/manufacturer of tritium sights, front only vs. front and rear etc., I would welcome those opinions as well.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Get someone to install the M&P sights. If you have never done it and do not do it correct you will have parts flying when you remove the rear sight. I prefer the Ameriglo Operator night sights with green front and yellow rear.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The M&P Front sight is a ..... to take off and its usually VERY thight, as mentioned by JBP55 on the M&P the back sight actually retains the firing pin block and spring.

Vigilante Sniper can do this for you if you dont want to spend the money on the tool.

I also recommend the Ameriglo, great warranty, awesome products and very affordable, you can get a 10% discount on those, wish you would have told me, I just ordered 2 sets about 3 days ago shipping was like $8 for both sets though

Last edited:

PrairieCajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    The M&P Front sight is a ..... to take off and its usually VERY thight, as mentioned by JBP55 on the M&P the back sight actually retains the firing pin block and spring.

Vigilante Sniper can do this for you if you dont want to spend the money on the tool.

I also recommend the Ameriglo, great warranty, awesome products and very affordable, you can get a 10% discount on those, wish you would have told me, I just ordered 2 sets about 3 days ago shipping was like $8 for both sets though

Thanks GS. I appreciate the offer to save some shipping. I really haven't decided what I'm going to finally do. I'm glad that the opinions expressed here are so similar. That builds HUGE confidence for me to decide what to do with each of those pistols. I'm still considering putting an all black rear and a red fiber on the front of the 9c. I will likely go with the green yellow on the full size. Appreciate all the opinions. :cheers:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    IF somehow I manage to make it all work and replace the sights on my 19 before you and I meet I will bring her so you can check them out.

I do however have a Red FO front and black back sight on my 17, I can bring her as well

Ohhhhhh and my M&P Pro has the green FO Front and black back just remember that :)

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Another vote for Ameriglos. I use the Bowie Tactical Ameriglos, yellow rear green front on both of my M&Ps. If you don't want to scratch the finish on your gun, have someone install them for you because it WILL happen using a hammer and punch.

PrairieCajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Thanks for the tip KT! I'll look into it. They're only blocks away! As always, appreciate you GS. Would love to check those sight pics. I was already liking the FO front idea with black out or 2 dot back on my compact. It shoots high for me so I'm willing to get those changed for that reason alone. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom