Single Stage Presses

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Currently I load my pistol rounds on a Dillon 650. I want to start loading for my LR243 and want to pick up a single stage press. I have heard lots about RCBS and Lee's new stuff but have not heard much about the Hornady Lock-N-Load. Does anyone on here have any experience with this machine?

What are you loading with in terms of Single Stage presses? What do you like about it? What do you not like?

Im just looking for some hands on info with the different presses out there before I buy me one.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.......if you do:D

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have a LEE. It works just fine, is pretty darn stout, and I like how the handle is adjustable to where you want it, whereas the RockChucker is not. It is also a whole lot cheaper than the RCBS. I got the large and small primer feeds for mine in the bargain cave at cabelas for cheap.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I'd get the Lee over a LNL single stage. I had a pin in my linkage bend and seize the LNL press. They do have good customers service; they fixed it, but the linkage has a lot of play in it. Too much for my liking.

However, I'd go with RCBS, Redding or Lyman at this point. The Lee works well for a lot of people and it's more sturdy that the LNL, but I had a very odd problem of not being able to bump the shoulder back enough on .223 no matter the dies used or how far I screwed them in. I haven't figured that one out yet.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Shoulda bought the 550 :D:D:rofl::rofl:

Ha.....I may still end up doing that. I love my 650. I load the heck out of .45 Colt on it.

With my LR243 I want to take my time and try to see what kind of load I can work up. I have never loaded for a rifle and that is why I am thinking of getting a single stage press. The 550 has crossed my mind for this though.

I just thought the Lock-N-Load seemed nice due to the ease of changing dies out.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I just thought the Lock-N-Load seemed nice due to the ease of changing dies out.

As Rich said, they will fit in other presses. That's why I got the LNL single stage. I had the LNL progressive and lots of bushings already. I just don't find them necessary with rifle calibers. The locking rings supplied with most dies work well enough on dies to be used in a single stage (if they are the locking kind). You can also buy better engineered locking rings from Sinclair or other die manufactures to keep your settings constant.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    honestly the lee breechlock is not a bad press. it has an adjustable handle, quick change bushings, is plenty stout for any normal carts, and the spent primer catch system works great much better than the rock chucker i have now. the rock chucker is smoother and requires less forch on larger carts but the lee is more than capable and for around $60 iirc. i really should have kept mine but im kinda anal about all my stuff matching and the lee scale and powder measure weren't cutting it so i replaced them with rcbs and then just had to have the press to match.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    However, I'd go with RCBS, Redding or Lyman at this point. The Lee works well for a lot of people and it's more sturdy that the LNL, but I had a very odd problem of not being able to bump the shoulder back enough on .223 no matter the dies used or how far I screwed them in. I haven't figured that one out yet.[/QUOTE]

That is more than Likely a shellholder or Die Issue. Try using the same brand shellholder as your dies. You can also remove some from the bottom of the die or the top of the shellholder.

buck3050

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have 2 lyman spar t turret presses that i really like. easy setup and even that they are old tha work great. got 1 from my uncle and just bought the other off of ebay.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I went with the RCBS rockchucker and added the Hornady Lock-n-Load kit. It works great and is very quick and easy to change dies. As for the press, it is very smooth and takes very little effort to operate. The only downside is the spent primer catcher. It doesn't catch all the primers if it is not perfectly positioned, and is a pain to take off and empty. A buddy of mine uses it to re-size his military .308 brass because his old lee doesn't have enough leverage to do it.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I used a single stage LEE for a long time with .223, many, many rounds, no problems, slow, but quality control is always there with a single stage, and LEE is right on the price. Cabelas and LA Reloading in Baton Rouge both have Lee parts, dies, in stock all the time

Last edited:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have the RCBS Rock Chucker supreme, and I do all my reloading on it (though when I get some money I will get me a Dillon now that I am shooting USPSA and I need to churn out vast quantities of the same caliber).

I got the RCBS because I went ahead and got the whole reloading kit when I started reloading. It is a really good press, and I don't think I could break it if I wanted to. However, not having used but one other press (my friend's Lyman Crusher), I really can't compare it to much. The primer catcher on it is garbage. Half the primers fly out the opposite end. Primers end up all over my floor, but I just vacuum them up. It can be a pain with hardwood floors, though, because they will roll clean across the house and no matter how well you clean you will still find some primers occasionally.

As far as I know the Rock Chucker Supreme has the largest opening of any single stage press, which is good if you want to load rifle cartridges with long OALs.

I would say that as long as you get a good quality single stage press it should last you a long time. Some of the Lee presses I have seen look a bit... flimsy. I think that my rockchucker will probably last my entire life and then some. It is an extremely solid machine.

One other thing: RCBS has excellent customer service. I have had a few things break in my dies and they always replace it for free and quickly, usually giving me more extra parts than I actually needed. I continue to buy RCBS products for this reason alone. I hear Dillon has an excellent "No BS" warranty, also, so I'm looking forward to getting one of those.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks to everyone so far for your valuable opinions. Everyone is making some good points of interest. I love my Dillon and you are right Leadslugga, they have great CS and the no BS warranty is very true.

I would love to get a 550 also but right now I just dont want to spend the extra money on it. That is why im going to go with a single stage press for now. Something I can take my time and learn on.

GentleBen

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don't mess with anything else, get a Redding T-7 turret press, it is like having a seven-hole single stage press that could knock out a tank. Solid cast iron but works like a fine watch, err, back when there were fine watches. The turret is tight enough that it takes a little force to go from one stage to another ... stable, solid and will out-live you and your great-grandchildren. Can be found for just a few bucks over $200. Spare turrets can also be bought for different calibers.

willk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    I use a Redding Boss for case forming and small lots of ammo. (read .243 and .308) Good, solid machine that has no faults. Not terribly expensive either. While I have two 550's (one set up for small primers and another set up for large primers) I would not want to be without the Redding.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Don't mess with anything else, get a Redding T-7 turret press, it is like having a seven-hole single stage press that could knock out a tank. Solid cast iron but works like a fine watch, err, back when there were fine watches. The turret is tight enough that it takes a little force to go from one stage to another ... stable, solid and will out-live you and your great-grandchildren. Can be found for just a few bucks over $200. Spare turrets can also be bought for different calibers.

Man, I just watched a few videos on Youtube with the T-7 and I think I may have found my front runner. I like that press. ;) Thanks for the input. I had never seen that press before.

GentleBen

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Can't promote this press enough.

It is so solid, smooth and strong that you hardly notice any back pressure when sizing ammo. When you mount it, try to place a good vertical 2x4 or 4x4 post below or near the press and then you will be able to load everything from hornet to howitzer.

With seven holes to use -- I have a Dillon .223 die for AR cases, a Redding full length bushing die for new bolt gun .223 brass, a Redding neck sizer bushing die for fired bolt gun .223 brass, a Redding Competition seater die, an optional Lee factory crimp die for .223 AR, an RCBS powder measure/dispenser hooked up via a die, and a Hornady collet-type bullet puller die all on the same turret.

I may get another turret (about $60) for pistol options. Those seven holes could hold a full set of 9mm and a full set of 45ACP, plus a powder measure/dispenser.

And I think I am going to etch my name and date on it so that when archeologist unearth it from the rubble in a few hundred thousand years I will get credit for having invented it.:D

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Get a Lee cast iron single stage. They are very strong. I used one for awhile but then went to a Lee turret press (cast iron). I can't imagine a better press than the Lee turret.

Top Bottom