Skydiving

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Has anyone done it or have experience doing it? I have always wanted to do it at an earlier age many years ago. My birthday is next month so I would really like to do it, a tandemn jump most likely. Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Because I want to! So, does anyone know where I could get a tandemn jump done not very far from Lafayette? Thanks!

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    If you can find somewhere that does AFF, do that instead. I just googled and it looks like we suck for skydiving now after Gold Coast left Lumberton.
    But it looks like they still run tandems with smaller aircraft. I'm not sure, though. Call and ask if you can still do AFF... over a tandem. I jumped at Gold Coast when they were in Moss Point. They were top notch then. If not, tandem it is. It's an experience and being under canopy (and flying it) is fully half of it. Either way, go.

https://goldcoastskydivers.com/

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Just FYI

A tandem jump won't count as your first jump.

Do a static line jump instead. You'll get a log book for a souvenir.

I understand. At my age I will not be pursuing it past my first jump. I am thinking, and I may be wrong that a tandem jump will consist of less class time than a static line jump and I dont need a souvenir but thanks for the advice! I would rather freefall for longer than a static line jump provides.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Accelerated Free Fall is the way to go. I went to ascension skydiving no fear express in Gonzales back in the day. The class was longer and it was a little more money but I got about a minute of free fall on my first (and unfortunately only) jump.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Reading this and the lines from a Chris Stapleton song came to mind
    "Sun comes up and goes back down
    And falling feels like flying 'til you hit the ground".
    Here is to a slow easy landing. Best of luck flyboy!

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    We used to fly to Lumberton to watch the sky divers on Saturday's when they were there, seen them in Thibodaux, Gonzales, and Slidell. Right now I only hear them in the Pascagoula area. I witnesses the girl that the chute came off of in Gonzales and hit the trees years ago. Seems everytime there is an accident the site moves somewhere else. Same with when the instructor died at Lumberton and the guy with him tandem got hurt. Think he died of a heart attack though. My brother in law and his kids did tandem jump in Lumberton for his 40th birthday. Don't know of any place near here that does AFF or Static.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I did it with my son for his 18th birthday in Slidell with Gold Coast. The free fall was about 30 seconds out of a very small plane, was more worried about landing in that plane than jumping out of it. Haha. The same company used to do a larger plane out of Gulf Shores where you jump out the back rather than the side (would have preferred), then you land on the beach by Flora-Bama.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Many years ago about 1980 when there was a Green County Parachute center in Covington a buddy who was in the Army Special Forces talked me into jumping. I made one static line jump and have the logbook to prove it.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'm currently in the AFF/STP program at Spaceland in Houston. Let me know what questions you have about being trained. I'm about halfway through the program and to my A license.

djGSBEV.png

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I have my and my oldest son's jump scheduled for Sunday, July the 4th at goldcoastskydivers. We will be jumping at the same time. Yes, I am picking up the tab for both of us!

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    I told my niece that I would do it if she graduated highschool without getting pregnant. Never thought she could pull it off but we jumped at gold coast and it scared the **** out of me! Id rather die than look like a big ***** so it happened and I will never try that **** again. But we have a great story to remember.

Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore
    I did it on a first date about 10 hrs ago . Tandom jump . Paid I guy to jump with us and record it( it was about $100 more ) . It was awesome . the guy recording it looked like a cross between the riddler and green lantern . I haven’t done it again and I haven’t gone out with the woman again either . The experience was great !

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Jump out of a functional airplane to become a crash test dummy and pay for it? No thank you. But bless your heart….

To my mind that would be like going on a cruise and saying heck with it throw me overboard with a life jacket for fun.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Jump out of a functional airplane to become a crash test dummy and pay for it? No thank you. But bless your heart….

To my mind that would be like going on a cruise and saying heck with it throw me overboard with a life jacket for fun.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Substitute SCUBA gear for life jacket and I'm in.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    The countdown is on and if everything works out and the weather co-operates tomorrow, I and my son will make the dive tomorrow evening. Will provide pics if it takes place.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wrobi2016
    Top Bottom