Slidell Gunshow and Panic Buying

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The Derp Show.

So some friends and I decided to make the trip to the Slidell gun show. We did it more for laughs, but there were some good deals to be had, surprisingly. We arrived on time, 10 am, and waited in line to pay our $8 fee to the **** show. We were greeted by overenthusiastic workers and the roar of rednecks and their tin foil conspiracies. We walked in through the middle and were welcomed to some overpriced Glocks and Sigs. $483 + tax for a Glock 42? No says I. Next, we made our way to the corner and began working our way up and down the isles. A few doodads here and there, the usual $30 used Glock mags and $40 556 30 rounders. Then we made our way towards a booth that had a ton of retail stuff, which is fine, but luckily they had some Pearce extensions for a decent price, and the owner was nice enough to let me play with some Lone Wolf Glocks and one of the new 80% Glock frames that he milled with the kit. Moving along, we encountered some overpriced knives and random militaria. There were more than enough Chinese knockoffs of popular AR-15 accessories to fill every dumpster in Slidell. The knockoff Warsport LVOA rail was quite hilarious, but the panic buyers were the best.

Panic Buying... It has begun.

Like I said, the panic buyers were pretty fun to watch as they scurried around looking for anything they could get their hands on. S&W M&P15 for $1200... "I'll take it!" said one man as his ZZ Top-esque white beard flowed past his kneecaps. "You better get a few of those, before they're banned again." says another Brochacho as he rubs his sweet dragon tats proudly shown by his sleeveless shirt. The vendors took no shame in marking up anything and everything to take advantage of the poor souls who fear that the Taurus Judge will be put on the banned list soon (hopefully :rofl:).

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    The Kenner Gun show is next week and I expect the same. I was intending to go. I wanted to look at and buy a could of rifle slings. I'm now thinking I'd be better off mail order. Business should be good for the vendors there.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    $60?!?!

I'm going next time with a truckload of mags.

I ordered 15 stainless steel AR-15 mags last Fri at $11.00 each. I'm glad to have that order in. I'm gonna pass on the Kenner gun show this upcoming weekend.

If any of you are willing to pay $60 each, they are for sale. LOL

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I remember in '92-'93, an AR could be had in any configuration available at the time (carbine length, collapsible stock, A2 sights) for $495, and the tables were loaded with them. Granted there are a lot more manufacturers now, they're not all Colt or Bushmaster, but I still saw an AR there yesterday for $589, and the majority of the basics were in the $700 range. Overall, I think we're still going strong with our firearms freedom.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Wouldn't call them idiots.
    The real idiots would be the dolts buying the mags for $60 each.
    The sellers would be brilliant.
    ;)

This is true.

I remember in '92-'93, an AR could be had in any configuration available at the time (carbine length, collapsible stock, A2 sights) for $495, and the tables were loaded with them. Granted there are a lot more manufacturers now, they're not all Colt or Bushmaster, but I still saw an AR there yesterday for $589, and the majority of the basics were in the $700 range. Overall, I think we're still going strong with our firearms freedom.

I agree. There were some deals to be had, but you really had to dig. Gun shows are closer to a automobile swap meet than a show. Typically, when I'm at car shows or large car events, there is a "show" where all of the vendors are located, then there is the swap meet, with all of the random folks selling there own doodads. Gun shows typically have both, but it's always funny to see the same guys from every show, with the same stuff they are trying to sell.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I went Saturday and found nothing I couldnt live without. I saw more people looking than buying there were some deals as you said. And I'm sure some folks were overpaying but that doesn't tell me people as a whole are stupid (we already know that), it tells me there are still plenty of people who dont accept the lib-tard mantra that guns are the problem, and that is a good thing. I took my wife and daughter with me and while the place looked like a walmart on black Friday everyone we encountered was polite and friendly. I dont know it must be something about my wife and 3yo that makes me look less like an a-hole. Was it really worth the trip? Not really they rarely are, but it gets you out the house.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I went to the show and picked up a few well priced items. There has always been the overpriced things here and there at the gun shows but I seen plenty of AR-15 and even the .308 ARs for less than a grand. Seen several G43s priced under 450.00.

There have always been the over priced items there though. While I know people are starting to buy.....I did not really see a huge panic. Just people starting to stock up on some things that were still fairly priced.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    The only high point in the Obama administration is the record setting sales that have blessed the firearms industry. There will likely be another wave of shelf clearing for guns and ammo before the elections and depending on the outcome, a final tsunami of sales before 1/20/17 when Obama leaves office.

The longer the blm violence continues, the more panic buying will occur.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The only high point in the Obama administration is the record setting sales that have blessed the firearms industry. There will likely be another wave of shelf clearing for guns and ammo before the elections and depending on the outcome, a final tsunami of sales before 1/20/17 when Obama leaves office.

The longer the blm violence continues, the more panic buying will occur.

I'm going to make a (possibly wrong) assumption and say that while I think the shelves will be empty, they won't be for long. The first go around years back, when Obumber came into office, was something unexpected. I think manufacturers are a little more prepared this go around.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I had gone to a local gun store on Saturday before the Baton Rouge shooting and got a price on an AR rifle in 7.62 caliber. They had none in stock but had an existing back order. I went home and got on the phone to see if I could find one elsewhere. I was unsuccessful in locating the one I wanted. Then the Baton Rouge shooting happened. This morning I went back to the same gun store and put a deposit down on one of their already back ordered rifles. They still gave me the previously discussed reduction from the full retail price. I guess I am now part of the panic buying even though I initiated actions to purchase the rifle the day prior. I hope I'm at least ahead of this new round of panic buying.

I fell in love with a H & K AR rifle in 7.62. It was in stock. But the price is just more than I think it is worth and can afford. Now if that Power Ball ticket will just come thru . . .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom