Slidell homeowner shoots, kills man on front lawn

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Well, what'd they say?

http://www.fox8live.com/story/34277614/man-killed-in-fatal-slidell-confrontation-identified
    SLIDELL, LA (WVUE) -

Detectives with the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Department have not charged a homeowner who fatally shot a man who was acting erratically on his property. The incident occurred just after midnight Tuesday in the 2100 block of Robin Street in Slidell.

Police say that the homeowner, identified as 24-year-old Shane Hicks, told investigators that he was in his home when he heard a noise in his front yard and went to investigate. The homeowner saw a man, later identified as 22-year-old Seth Flores, shouting and hitting his car. Hicks, who was armed with a pistol, asked Flores what he was doing and Flores responded with irrational statements including that he was "invincible".

Flores began making his way towards Hicks who began to retreat. As Hicks backed up against his front door, Flores began lunging towards him. Hicks, who feared for his safety and for the safety of his family, shot Flores once, but Flores continued to lunge at Hicks and attempted to grab his weapon. Hicks then fired his gun multiple times, killing Flores on his front porch. According to police, Hicks, who has no criminal history, was cooperative with investigators.

Detectives learned that ten minutes prior to the shooting, Flores was involved in an incident with his girlfriend at her house, located two blocks away from the scene. The girlfriend told investigators that Flores consumed an excessive amount of "Triple C" cold medicine, which is known to cause hallucinogenic effects. She added that Flores became irate and began attacking her and her mother, prompting a call to 911. During the call, Flores ran from the girlfriend's house to Hicks's house. Detectives are unsure as to why Flores fled to that location as the two men did not know each other. Flores has a criminal history including: narcotics, resisting an officer, flight from an officer, simple battery, burglary and theft.

Investigators say that, at this point, no charges have been filed against Hicks. STPSO detectives will turn their findings over to the District Attorney's Office, once they wrap their investigation.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Looks like a justifiable homicide to me. And just a note, Flores was clearly not "invincible"

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    man, that's surprising for Slidell, right?

I think the fact that they have all happened in a cluster within a short time has everyone amped up and all like "It's going down the tubes!" and such, but we tend to get a couple or so each year.

Knew about the one involving SPD on Gause. Not a 2nd one in city limits. Details?

Timothy Dr. area behind Abney Elementary at night, rolling gunfight down the block with one GSW per side, 1/6/17, several arrests made.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I think the fact that they have all happened in a cluster within a short time has everyone amped up and all like "It's going down the tubes!" and such, but we tend to get a couple or so each year.

Timothy Dr. area behind Abney Elementary at night, rolling gunfight down the block with one GSW per side, 1/6/17, several arrests made.
    10-4. Hadn't heard anout that one. Thanks.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It looks like a "good" shooting. However, what the resident did was inadvisable. Confronting a possible 103M or 107 alone is dangerous. There is always the possibility of being overtaken even if you are armed. There have even been incidents where perps were still able to kill after being shot several times. We even see police officers killed in the same situation.
    The lesson to be learned here is to stay in your house and call 911. Wait inside your house with your most effective firearm ready in case the 107 enters your home. The resident is lucky to be alive, but must now live with the experience of taking a life. He is not exactly riding off into the sunset with the Cartwrights.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    It looks like a "good" shooting. However, what the resident did was inadvisable. Confronting a possible 103M or 107 alone is dangerous. There is always the possibility of being overtaken even if you are armed. There have even been incidents where perps were still able to kill after being shot several times. We even see police officers killed in the same situation.
    The lesson to be learned here is to stay in your house and call 911. Wait inside your house with your most effective firearm ready in case the 107 enters your home. The resident is lucky to be alive, but must now live with the experience of taking a life. He is not exactly riding off into the sunset with the Cartwrights.

This^^^^^^^^. If he makes into the house there would be a mag dump of 230 grain projectiles given to Mr. Invincible.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

One of hardest things I've ever done is sit in my house and watch 4 dudes steal stuff out my shed. Girlfriend at the time called 911 and I called a buddy up the street to sit in his truck and follow if they pulled out "cops caught them in the driveway".

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell

Not to mention the civil court lawsuits that will probably happen. If it were in Orleans, he might even have to go up against a "victim sympathetic" jury.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    One of hardest things I've ever done is sit in my house and watch 4 dudes steal stuff out my shed. Girlfriend at the time called 911 and I called a buddy up the street to sit in his truck and follow if they pulled out "cops caught them in the driveway".

Well you are a better man than me.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    It's just stuff. And they were not gonna get away.

Stuff is just that its stuff. If the last couple years walking in my soles have taught me a lot about what is important in life and things don't mean much to me anymore, but concepts do. I wouldn't kill someone over anything I own, but I could never stand by allow someone to victimize me in hopes that they never get away with it. I believe that is likely a flaw with me, and not the other way around.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Stuff is just that its stuff. If the last couple years walking in my soles have taught me a lot about what is important in life and things don't mean much to me anymore, but concepts do. I wouldn't kill someone over anything I own, but I could never stand by allow someone to victimize me in hopes that they never get away with it. I believe that is likely a flaw with me, and not the other way around.

I feel me walking out on those 4 dudes would have ended in me having to use deadly force and it wasn't worth it to me. Cops were on the way, one way out the street and a buddy sitting in his car waiting to pull out behind them and follow if need be "they were going to jail".

I also agree with you but remember decisions have consequences.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I feel me walking out on those 4 dudes would have ended in me having to use deadly force and it wasn't worth it to me. Cops were on the way, one way out the street and a buddy sitting in his car waiting to pull out behind them and follow if need be "they were going to jail".

Absolutely right that's why I admit it is a flaw. The fact that you knew it would result in deadly force makes it harder for me to be real honest, because that's your home somewhere you should feel safe. If you had stumbled out there drunk and accidentally ran across them robbing your shed they would have taken advantage and likely harmed you. The fact that you couldn't walkout there on your own property for fear of yours or someone else's life is the concept I can't get past.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

My friend , that took a lot of restraint . Thank God that story ended well .

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

You are right, and handled that well. I also would not have walked out on 4 people in my back yard at night. But I may have let the dogs out to pee..........

qrspkqpvqr9ucjbjyoez.jpg

Top Bottom