Smell-Tech Pee .32

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    The recoil spring is working better now that I replaced the plastic guide rod with a black stainless one. I have a complete selection of recoil and firing pin springs from Wolff for my LCP which will work if I decide to replace the spring in the P32. I read Fluff & Buff on one of the KT forums and many the older KT's needed polishing of the feed ramp, chamber and the face of the breech. Evidently, tolerances on the Gen-1 pistols was inconsistent.

I ran another 50 rounds through it today and had 4 misfeeds in the first 25 and none in the last 25. I bought another 100 rounds of different brands and will test again over the weekend. If it misfeeds at all this weekend, I plan on polishing the face of the breech a bit more.

The gen2 came out in 2005/06 ish so that spring is at least 10 years old at this point, no way it's still at factory strength.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    The gen2 came out in 2005/06 ish so that spring is at least 10 years old at this point, no way it's still at factory strength.

I installed new 9# Wolff springs from my LCP - feels the same to me. I can see where the cartridge hangs up - the rim is wedged at an angle under the extractor if the slide isn't sling-shotted closed. Smoothing the face of the breech may help the cartridge slide into place easier. What do you think?

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I installed new 9# Wolff springs from my LCP - feels the same to me. I can see where the cartridge hangs up - the rim is wedged at an angle under the extractor if the slide isn't sling-shotted closed. Smoothing the face of the breech may help the cartridge slide into place easier. What do you think?

Post results after you shoot it. If it's cycling when sling shotted it may be fine, you can't baby them. A few boxes of ammo ran through it will probably help smooth everything out too. I just know I have those issues with my gen 1 when the springs start to weaken, hard to tell by hand cycling but shows up at the range.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Post results after you shoot it. If it's cycling when sling shotted it may be fine, you can't baby them. A few boxes of ammo ran through it will probably help smooth everything out too. I just know I have those issues with my gen 1 when the springs start to weaken, hard to tell by hand cycling but shows up at the range.

Shot 40 rounds through it today with zero malfunctions. I'll clean it and change the recoil springs, shoot again before feeling good about carrying it in my pocket.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Here's my 100% reliable KT .32

P32%20G1_zps0iwp44hj.jpg
    p32%20g2_zpsdzhpt0tk.jpg

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    That's a clean gen 1! I have two, one I bought off a good bro here. It is in pristine condition, so I gave it to my mom. I figured that I had a more likelihood of losing one in one way or another so I wanted her to have the nicer one.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    That's a clean gen 1! I have two, one I bought off a good bro here. It is in pristine condition, so I gave it to my mom. I figured that I had a more likelihood of losing one in one way or another so I wanted her to have the nicer one.

Mine looked good when I bought it but had FTE problems at the range. Make sure mom's pistol operates flawlessly.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Mine looked good when I bought it but had FTE problems at the range. Make sure mom's pistol operates flawlessly.

Of course. I tested it and kept it for a while. I've never had a substantial issue with either one. The older one failed to lock the slide back when I first got it but a little cleaning and perhaps a +10 Wolff magazine spring took care of that.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    No offense, but 40 rounds with no problems does not equal a 100% reliable self defense handgun, IMO. Just something to think about.....

I had replaced the extractor & spring, ejector, recoil springs, stainless guide rod, polished the feed ramp and chamber, deep-cleaned everything. I did fire off a magazine 8+1 after replacing the recoil springs and it performed perfectly. I'm confident that it will go BANG! when/if needed but will take it to the range from time to time.

At the moment, I'm dealing with a new to me .25 Beretta 21A which has a bad firing pin. Parts are on the way in.

When you buy a used gun be prepared to clean, diagnose problems and repair. I usually have one in the refurbish mode at any given time.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    When you buy a used gun be prepared to clean, diagnose problems and repair. I usually have one in the refurbish mode at any given time.

I'm with ya here ^! I bought my wife a used P2000 LEM 9mm for carry/house gun. First trip to the range it had a few FTF/Return to Battery. It was not mag dependent. It was a previous rental gun, so I replaced the recoil spring, and extractor assy. The next trip it ran like a Hk should through the 200 rounds we brought. However, I continued to shoot it myself the next two trips until I ran another 5-600 rounds with no failures before I gave it back to her. Look, any gun can fail at any time regardless of Mfgr. My point in the other post is 40ish rounds is just too small of a test sample to declare a gun 100% good to go. Especially if that gun has failed recently and the plan is for it to function and save a life when needed. But hey, that's just my opinion, and I'm far from an expert. (however I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express recently) ;)

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I'm with ya here ^! I bought my wife a used P2000 LEM 9mm for carry/house gun. First trip to the range it had a few FTF/Return to Battery. It was not mag dependent. It was a previous rental gun, so I replaced the recoil spring, and extractor assy. The next trip it ran like a Hk should through the 200 rounds we brought. However, I continued to shoot it myself the next two trips until I ran another 5-600 rounds with no failures before I gave it back to her. Look, any gun can fail at any time regardless of Mfgr. My point in the other post is 40ish rounds is just too small of a test sample to declare a gun 100% good to go. Especially if that gun has failed recently and the plan is for it to function and save a life when needed. But hey, that's just my opinion, and I'm far from an expert. (however I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express recently) ;)

40-50 rounds (one box) is 5-6 mags full. I think 800 range rounds (cost about $300.00) might be excessive testing for your weapon. If you take your malfunctioning pistol to a gunsmith, he might shoot 8-10 rounds and charge you $60+/hour plus ammunition and parts.

I'm feeling safe that my little .32 will go BANG! when I pull the trigger. :)

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    It's not just keltecs. I've have a glock that was problematic with certain hollow points, until I polished the feed ramp and breech face. I tend to polish the breech face on any 1911, intend to run semi wad cutters in.

Most manufacturers are focusing volume, you will see malfunctions from time to time

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    I've only owned one and only one Kel-Tec and it is a P32. I've had it since the autumn of 2006 and never had so much as a hiccup with it. I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through it, but it is plenty enough to know it works. No, it is not my first pick of carry piece, and I carry snub revolver (regularly) or mini-Glock (rarely) when possible. However, with the short 7-round magazine, it works for pocket carry and with the 10-rounder and the belt clip, it positively disappears into a sport coat, suit jacket, or the like.

So (shrug) I don't know. I see a lot of complaints about Kel-Tec online, so there has got to be something to it. I just know the one I have runs like a top. Though it has the aesthetic quality of a rubber door stop. :dogkeke:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom