Smith 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Just went a picked up my Smith 1911 from the Smith. I had a Wilson ultra Match grade trigger and the match grade drop in barrel put in. They quoted my $75.00 labor for the barrel which the gunsmith said should have cost me $300 for the amount of time it took. He said the had to custom fit the drop in. I know one thing it's tight as hell. Has anyone had any custom work done on a Smith 1911?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Just went a picked up my Smith 1911 from the Smith. I had a Wilson ultra Match grade trigger and the match grade drop in barrel put in. They quoted my $75.00 labor for the barrel which the gunsmith said should have cost me $300 for the amount of time it took. He said the had to custom fit the drop in. I know one thing it's tight as hell. Has anyone had any custom work done on a Smith 1911?

I have yet to see a Wilson "Drop in" be that. They all ways need some fitting.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    well I can tell you the gunsmith told me he hated putting Wilson barrels in because they take so much time to fit. I waited 8 weeks for the work to be done. I hope the wait was worth it. The thing that sucks is I can't shoot it till this weekend. I picked it up on my way out of town. I had the trigger cut from 6.5 lbs to 4. Nice and crisp now. Can't wait to take it to the range.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I have always wanted a custom 1911. I wanted to have one built for me the way I wanted but time and money always get in the way. I thought about buying a Wilson or Les Bauer but if your gonna spend 2500.00 might as well spend the 4K for a Larry Vickers or John Harrison. I have heard that Vickers has a 2 year waiting list ( I get very impatient). I picked the S&W and decided to build on it a little and see how far I want to take it. Anyone know of a 1911 holster that will take a rail mounted light?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have always wanted a custom 1911. I wanted to have one built for me the way I wanted but time and money always get in the way. I thought about buying a Wilson or Les Bauer but if your gonna spend 2500.00 might as well spend the 4K for a Larry Vickers or John Harrison. I have heard that Vickers has a 2 year waiting list ( I get very impatient). I picked the S&W and decided to build on it a little and see how far I want to take it. Anyone know of a 1911 holster that will take a rail mounted light?

What kind of rail and what kind of light? Do you want a duty type holster or a carry style? There are alot of excellent smiths out there without the 2 year wait. I have a Vickers gun from a few years ago it is excellent, I also have a gun that Ed Vandenberg in Houston built. The Vandenberg gun is no less accurate or reliable one is not better than the other just different. The Vickers gun took a year and $2400 the Vandenberg gun 4 months and $2000. Check out the American Pistolsmiths Guild Website.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom