Smith and Wesson Knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    anyone have any experiences with these knives? I found one that I'd like to get but would like to get some opinions about them. Good knives? or are they pieces of crap knives from china?

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have one, but at $9.99 (on sale from $29) from eknifeworks.com I sort of expected it to just be a heavy hunk of knife.

If you want a knife that you won't be ashamed to carry every day, I spent the extra on something US made.

To Born4spd's list, I'd add SOG and Cold Steel.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    If you are looking for a good knife for a good price.. Try a Sog...

Ignore everything that Pangris says.. He is an A***ole...

Unless you have seen 50,000 knives pulled from 50,000 pockets , Like i have you dont know anything about knives...
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry couldnt help myself...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you are looking for a good knife for a good price.. Try a Sog...QUOTE]

+1 on SOG.

I have a s&w boot knife that I picked up at a gun show for around $10. For a cheap knife its not bad. Its much better than the Chinese junk, but not as good as SOG.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    S&W made by Thomas knives, "crafted" in China. They have a life time warranty, but the shipping to get it repaired is more than it costs to buy a new one in many cases and the quality is really only marginal. I have one that I got at the gun show only because it was inexpensive and I liked the way the assisted open works, but I'm haveing trouble getting a good edge on it. It has pretty good build quality, but it's REALLY heavy. The only foreign made knives I really like would be from Germany, Switzerland and Japan. What impressed me the most were Kershaw and Benchmade, when trying to learn about different knives and types of steel I spoke to the head technical guys at both places and got a lot of highly technical and informative information. There are two big knife forums and the guy from Kershaw is a regular on both. I have three knives with highend, high performance steel blades and several with you general 440 or 420 stainless blades. I am currently looking for one more with a really good old style carbon steel blade. They require a lot of care, but can be made sharper than the sharpest razor you've ever used.
    5500-81.jpg

Last edited:

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Tuan you have your LEO commission with JP. Scan it, goto Benchmade.com and register, you get a step discount, and can get one hell of a knife.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    This knife is my daily carry at work: (S&W S.W.A.T. First millenium run) :mamoru:
    picture.php

Only diff is mine has half serrated blade. It's very good for what it is. A cheap knife you can use for pretty much anything, and won't curl up in the fetal position and cry yourself to sleep if you lose/break it.

These are my everyday, non-work, carries: (Boker Hk15)
    picture.php

and: (KaBar TDI)
    picture.php

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I was gonna buy that Boker, but the one I looked at had a blade made from the new Jap wonder-alloy that looks to be a bear to get a proper edge on.

Does yours say what the blade steel is?

I'll have to look when I go downstairs. Never had any problem putting/holding an edge. Of course, I don't hack through random **** like I use the S&W for! ;)

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I was gonna buy that Boker, but the one I looked at had a blade made from the new Jap wonder-alloy that looks to be a bear to get a proper edge on.

Does yours say what the blade steel is?

I have it here and there is no marking to indicate what the balde material is. Just :Hk X-15-T.N.
    Solingen-Germany

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    No doubt that is German code for "None of your steenkin' business!"

Arrogant bastards are probably using Jap steel and are ashamed to admit it.

LOL ATS-34 is supposed to be a really good copy of 154CM and it's made by Hitachi. I have a Kershaw with that super-duper Hitachi alloy ZDP-189. :D

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Uh, you sure 154CM didn't come along AFTER ATS-34???

From my reading, 154CM was an attempt to improve 440C; and 440C is a relatively new alloy.

LOL "X-15 T.N was developed by the French firm of Aubert & Duval for use in jet engine ball bearings. Aubert & Duval, a leading manufacturer of various alloys, designs and produces a vast range of special steels, including aluminum and titanium alloys, to meet the technical demands of many industries worldwide. The special properties of X-15 T.N are the result of its manufacturing methodology, resulting in superior corrosion-resistance in extremely harsh environments like saltwater."

Sounds great, but I couldn't bring myself to own a "badass knife" made from French steel :D

Yep, Crucible Metals had all but quit making it and Hitachi started making the ATS 34 in larger batches and in the shapes and sizes used for knives. Not sure what made Crucible start making the 154CM again, I assume the popularity of the ATS 34 even thought the S*V steels are probably better than the 154.
    Here's an interesting blurb I found...

154 CM was considered by many to be super-steel, if you can find some of the old production stock. The new batches are not manufactured to the standards that we've come to expect for knife steel. While excellent in use, 154 CM eats up the finest hacksaw blades in one across-the-bar cut of 1-1/2". It's machining and grinding qualities are similar to 440C and won't win it any awards for ease in working. In use though, this alloy has a definite advantage in both hardness and toughness over 440C. 154 CM is not an accepted standard grade designation, rather a manufacturers trade name.

ATS-34 Japanese made stainless considered the equal of 154 CM. Import restrictions have been eased somewhat, although they were forced to raise the price by 50%. Cleaner than the 154 CM. (154 CM is no longer used in government specified applications and is not the vacuum melt product that we once appreciated.) ATS-34 is virtually the exact same alloy as 154 CM, minus 0.04% of one of the less essential elements. ATS-34 is double vacuum melted and very clean. It also comes with a hard, black skin that will put a shine on your grinding belt before you know it. We recommend knocking the skin off with old belts before tapering the tang or Vee grinding. One fellow tried to take the skin off with an industrial motor driven wire brush wheel. All he did was polish it. We now stock a belt the is specifically designed to remove this scale. ATS-34 is a trade name. The three, 154 CM, ATS-34 and 440-C, all have a small, reddish spark that has a distinct, but hard to see carbon fork. ATS-34 is also a trade name. That super hard black skin on some of these steels, as well as forging scale, can be "pickled" to remove it. Buy a gallon of inexpensive white vinegar, and leave the steel in it overnight. Works like magic. If it doesn't work, or makes the shop smell like a salad, blame Doug Brack, who gave me this hint.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Dude... I don't know how to break this to you gently... but...

X-15-T.N. is indeed a blade steel. Its made by... you sitting down? You sure?

Its MADE IN FRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got a poser in your collection. An HK knife with a blade made of FRENCH steel??? Messrs. Heckler & Koch are spinning in their graves, no doubt...

It doesn't try to close itself (surrender) every time you open it, does it?

WAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That one almost made me spit drink on the keyboard!

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Dude... I don't know how to break this to you gently... but...

X-15-T.N. is indeed a blade steel. Its made by... you sitting down? You sure?

Its MADE IN FRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got a poser in your collection. An HK knife with a blade made of FRENCH steel??? Messrs. Heckler & Koch are spinning in their graves, no doubt...

It doesn't try to close itself (surrender) every time you open it, does it?

Sorry, I'll shut up...:mamoru:

Annnnnd up for sale it goes! ;):D
    It's a shame too, it was a really really nice knife!:(
    The knife model is Hk-15, so I assumed that nomenclature was part of the knife model. But we all know what happens when you assume, right?:D I really strive to not knowingly by any French ****! Even turned down an almost free 3 month old Fridgidaire for being from France. (Or as it was more commonly known during '40 -'44 as West Germany) :mamoru:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Annnnnd up for sale it goes! ;):D
    It's a shame too, it was a really really nice knife!:(
    The knife model is Hk-15, so I assumed that nomenclature was part of the knife model. But we all know what happens when you assume, right?:D I really strive to not knowingly by any French ****! Even turned down an almost free 3 month old Fridgidaire for being from France. (Or as it was more commonly known during '40 -'44 as West Germany) :mamoru:

Not that I live for intentionally pointing out your faux pas, but "Frigidaire is a major US appliance company owned by Electrolux. Frigidaire was founded as the Guardian Frigerator Company in Fort Wayne, Indiana and developed the first self-contained refrigerator (invented by Nathaniel B. Wales and Alfred Mellowes) in 1916."

"The Electrolux Group is a Swedish manufacturer of home and professional appliances."

Dude, you shouldda took that refrigerator! :rofl::rofl:

Top Bottom