????Smith model 57 .41Mag Questions???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    I think I'm posting in the right section. I found one at a local gun store and I'm not sure I've googled a little bit and can't seem to find the info I want. Where Smith & Wesson is stamped on the barrel its not the normal "&" symbol its slanted and swoops around a lot more, fancier looking. It only has mod 57 stamped no dash. Not sure of s/n. It is nickel and the question was brought up by another customer if it had been re-plated. He said it is supposed to have an N stamped in the cylinder. After looking at it it does but not on the back side. It is stamped on the hinged portion where you look for end shake. All the tooling marks from manufacture are there it doesn't look as though the nickel has been replaced to me, I'm guessing that the tool marks would be less pronounced or filled in if it had been re-plated. It is a four inch model and has the wood presentation box no blue box. The finish looks blotchy almost like a blued gun looks when it has minor pits but you can't catch your fingernail on any of it its all still smooth as glass. Can that be polished out? What do you guys think on value? I really want this thing. Oh you can't push the hammer. It is a target hammer and trigger. End shake is great. No torching/cutting. No marks from the cases around the firing pin. But it has been shot.
    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Sometimes they have stamps if they've been refinished, sometimes not.

If there's an N or a diamond stamped on the crane, that's what was refinished. If the entire frame was refinished, it would be on the butt of the gun under the grip.

If the nickel is not scratched, merely discolored, it's possible it could be polished, but I would only try it by HAND with something such as Flitz.

You didn't say what the barrel length was. If it's a 4", it's a desirable gun from a collectors standpoint.

Without knowing the serial #, but knowing it came in a wooden presentation case, I would put the date of manufacture around the mid to late 70's.

How much are they asking for the gun?

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    They received a collection of firearms at different times the last couple of weeks

Last edited:

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    eby8yra5.jpg

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks leadfoot. Also has 2 model 60's that look unfired and the heavier barrel version I think a 64.

BRASSEAUX2

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The "slanted" & symbol denotes an earlier model as Smith & Wesson change to the standard "&" found on the modern guns some time after WWII. The model 57 was introduced in February of 1964 with serial number S236941 supposedly being the first gun although some references report S227750 as the first. In 1969 the serial numbers changed to an "N" series with S333454 being the last "S" serial number. Nickel models, 4" models and "S" serial number models usually draw higher values. 1986 Nickel finish was discontinued.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I looked at all those guns last weekend, are you sure that the one with the presentation box is $475? My buddy almost bought the one without the box (far left on the middle shelf), and it was priced at $475, and had a ding in the Nickle at the muzzle, like it may have hit concrete. Iirc, the one in the presentation box (one on the right, next to the woodsmans) was much more, like in the $675-$750 range.

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes I am sure. Not sure anything in the collection beside the engraved stuff was over 600.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I asked my buddy who was contemplating purchasing those 57's, he said the one without the box, and the scuff in the barrel was $575 (not $475 as I had thought) and the one with the wooden box was $750. From your picture, looks like they have moved a LOT of em in a week.

Last edited:

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    I was there yesterday. They received another lot this week. Thanks for the info though.

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    The pic is exactly two weeks old from when I purchased a diff pistol. That is from the first lot.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    No, that's not the origin point of your topic, but seeing as I had handled 2 Nickel model 57's, just as you described, in the same store, I was trying to figure out if they were in fact the same 2 guns. The one with the presentation box did not have any discoloration to the finish, and both appeared to be factory Nickle. I saw the N's marked on the cylinder/ejector rod shroud, but didn't notice anything on the crane.

If it appears to be imperfections coming from under the Nickle, it probably won't be able to polish out. If it were some milky spots on the surface, that you could feel, flitz or simichrome would probably remove it, just go with light pressure.

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks for the input on the finish I was wondering. Now you have me wondering if they were swapped on accident. I'll have to ask.

Top Bottom