Smith & Wesson CSX

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Considering a CSX purchase. The 1911 ish controls and styling, all metal, compact, 12 round capacity, single action trigger with exposed hammer. It has some positives for sure, and the one I was able to handle for a minute had a not horrible trigger.

Who has one or has shot one? Thoughts?

csx.JPG

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Me too at first. Wish it was DA/SA but SAO and the trigger is not that great. They can be had for cheap now and they are lighter than a shield. Big S&W fan but I was waiting for 2.0 on this one

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Like S&W and was excited about the weight. Really wanted DA/SA was probably the biggest thing. I’m holding out for an updated model. They have been putting out what I want lately.

If you like SAO and the trigger it’s probably a great gun that you’ll love. Confident in their reliability unlike some other ones

Last edited:

jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    I don't know if they updated the trigger but the ones I shot had the stupid false reset trigger that was mildly annoying and would definitely take time and effort to get used to if you are used to shorter reset triggers.

Sentinel_Go

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2023
    Baton Rouge
    Bought one for my sister. Continuous jams. Sent back to Smith. "Replaced" the internals. Got it back. Jammed. Used different ammo and troubleshooting. Never got thru a whole mag. Sits in shame at the bottom of the safe.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Made it to the range today and ran 105 rounds through my new S&W CSX. Not a complete review here, but so far I am happy with the gun. All rounds fired at 21 feet standing two hand hold. 1st 50 rounds factory 115 grain fmj, 2nd 50 my own cast flat nose 142 grain hand loads. Then 5 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense.

The firing pin safety plunger is white plastic with the tapered/ angled leading edge. I experienced none of the "false trigger re-sets" that others have reported.

The only failure was the last round of the session. I had loaded 5 rounds of the Hornday CD in the mag, and the last one failed to feed. Pics will tell the story, but the slide basically got stock as the round began to enter the chamber. I could see no reason for this happening, and a very gentle nudge sent the slide home. I was able to replicate the jam at home by easing the slide foward instead of the typical 'slingshot' motion most of us use to chamber a live round. I will chalk it up as possibly a break in issue/dirty gun/limp wristing? Time will tell.

csx  groupA (1).jpg

csx  1st 50 22 nov.jpg

CSX 2nd 50 my hand loads 22 nov.jpg
    csx hornady critical def 22 nov.jpg

CSX Fail to Feed 22 Nov Hornady Critical Defense (1).jpg

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I've been pocket or IWB carrying one for close to a couple of years. I put a tad over 500 rds thru it without a hick up.
    My concern is I'm an auto tech and while pocket carrying it in an Uncle Mike's soft holster and laying on the ground I have manipulated the safety lock. Never happened in an IWB holster.
    It is an accurate shooter even with the false reset. I ignore reset on mine as it does have the false reset even after dry firing it hundreds of times.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Mine has two "stages" of reset. The first is subtle and the second is what one would expect.
    There seems to varying degrees of this with the CSX. Some win the jackpot and do not have the false reset. Mine isn't terrible but can befuddle shooters who live and die for "the" perfect reset. My old azz determined for me to just forget it when shooting it. The CSX was not intended to be a target pistol and I do not shoot it like one. I thrust it out looking for the front blade then squeeze the trigger then fully release it.
    I shoot it better in a faster rhythm than taking my time. Must have irritated the two gentlemen recertifying with me recently.
    I'm moving away from the CSX and relearning proper reset with a G48. Hopefully I make it to Honey Island this weekend.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Today put the CSX passed the 500 round mark. The more I shoot it, the more I think it will make an acceptable carry gun. For me, a die hard must have 45 acp in a 1911 guy, it's a big leap. Will do a detail take down and do some polishing, make myself an IWB for her, then see where it goes after that.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Don't judge me, but another DIY ugly holster. Still some tweaking and trimming on the belt stays and over all width, but I will wear it around the house a few days before I do that.

And the detail take down? I took it all down EXCEPT the fire control unit. I did not see much to be gained by going there, so just a little polishing on the trigger bar and a good cleaning before I put it back together. A few more trips to the range for function checks and live fire draws from leather before I make the final call.

20231229_062832.jpg
    20231229_172329.jpg

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I've considered buying one to satisfy my curiosity and maybe use it as a edc. I carry a shield plus and love it. Great shooter for the size and I just don't see a reason to change it up.

Last edited:

sphill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Leesville, LA
    The CSX, even in its current iteration, is easily the most underrated carry gun IMO.

The size to capacity is amazing. The shoot ability is amazing. The controllability is amazing.

The “false reset” goes away after you shoot it enough.

9/10 for me. I would buy again. It has essentially removed the Sig P365XL out of carry rotation

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    The CSX, even in its current iteration, is easily the most underrated carry gun IMO.

The size to capacity is amazing. The shoot ability is amazing. The controllability is amazing.

The “false reset” goes away after you shoot it enough.

9/10 for me. I would buy again. It has essentially removed the Sig P365XL out of carry rotation
    For some reason I thought the csx was smaller then the shield plus but it is the same size, holds one more round and you can buy oem magazines that hold 15 if you aren't worried about the length of the grip. I carry a 4inch shield plus and it shoots bigger then what it is. I thought about giving the csx a try but at this point don't see a need to.

Top Bottom