Smoked swine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    More swine, my brother?!?!?

Smoked 2 Boston butts, gifted one to a family in need at the church and we tore up the other one.. you know it’s good after 14 hours the bone slides right out!!!

pulled pork sliders on Hawaii sweet rolls and lays potatoe chips lol

IMG_5986.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5988.jpeg
    IMG_5989.jpeg
    IMG_5990.jpeg

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Wowza my man! That looks amazing. What wrap is around the meat ? What’s your method for cooking it, or more simply, how did you cook that masterpiece. Kudos to you also for helping out that family. So many good people in this world.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I cut checked patten on the fat side, mustard for base and then my own bbq season with a good bit of brown sugar… smoke for around 1.75-2 hours per pound.. at like 225 temp… you can smoke faster at 275f at around .75 hours per pound but u like it slow and had time….i like a milder wood like oak ,cherry, or pecan, mesquite is a little to much for a long smoke for me…. Smoke it till internal temp is around 180ish… pull it and wrap it with peach/buchers paper ( smoking paper) works better than foil, allows it to breath and still keep moisture in I find foil almost boils the meat in the foil and makes it to tinder, go till internal temp is around 203-205, pull and let it rest for about 30-1hour… easy peasy!!!!

Don’t get frustrated with “the stall” somtimes the internal temp won’t move for 1-2 hours and all you waiting on is the last 5 deg to pull it.. don’t raise temp, just leave it alone, it will catch up on its on…

Last edited:

Richard Michael

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Walker, La.
    Well smoked meat is an art form!! Lately I have been experimenting with cherry and apple for smoke. I have spent years trying to get it "right" and I dont think I will ever be 100% satisfied! I always say, "next time I may try...."! That really does look good!

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Well smoked meat is an art form!! Lately I have been experimenting with cherry and apple for smoke. I have spent years trying to get it "right" and I dont think I will ever be 100% satisfied! I always say, "next time I may try...."! That really does look good!
    That’s the beauty of it, we are our hardest critics and makes us wanna do it again to try to top it!! lol it’s a win win!!!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    That looks amazing!!!!! Last week I went freezer diving and thought I had a couple of butts but didn't. That's on a short list of cooks to do soon!!!!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Beautiful cross hatch bark! Are you partial to and particular rub ?
    I'm a big fan of seasoning made by Meat Church - if you haven't tried them, I highly recommend!

My favorite is their "Holy Voodoo", which is somewhat akin to carribean jerk.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That’s awesome Chillin’. My methods are way nastier but the results are good. More smoke, soot, and grease for me. I do use charcoal but mostly local cut hickory to fuel my water smoker. My buddy Brian at Boathouse Smokers turned this one out his first year of business (13 years ago) and I wanted to support his endeavor. I’ve never been sorry. See those injected 6 pound hens. Best gumbo chicken in the world. I use this thing all the time. I even cure my sweet potatoes in it with a 100 watt light bulb. She’s fat and heavy but she cleans up good. Just season her back up with oil before the cool down, just like a skillet.
    If you haven’t tried one yet, the cheapo remote sensor electric thermometers at Walmart are a big plus. Keep that box closed and wait for the core temp to reach magic.

Attachments

• IMG_3127.png
      IMG_3127.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 14
    • IMG_3128.png
      IMG_3128.png
      2 MB · Views: 14
    • IMG_3129.png
      IMG_3129.png
      1.3 MB · Views: 15
    • IMG_3130.png
      IMG_3130.png