SMPSA 1/13/13 -- Puttin' It Down in Poplarville

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Yeah, it's one of my Twin "Aussie" SP-01 Shadows, courtesy Matt Mink at Automatic Accuracy.

Pas Tout La-- the best way to get into it is to come out to a match and shoot! It's really that easy.

Check out this link: http://www.uspsa.org/about-uspsa.php

Specifically, check out the "FAQ" and "Getting Started" subsections; there's a good bit of basic information there.

If you're willing to make the drive, you can shoot at least one match every weekend-- often, two. At the top of this page, check out the "Calendar" hotlink just above the sponsor ads. It's still stuck on 2012 (ahem, spanky) but you'll be able to see what days (1st Saturday, 2nd Sunday, etc.) that the matches fall-- and that's constant from month-to-month.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Yeah, it's one of my Twin "Aussie" SP-01 Shadows, courtesy Matt Mink at Automatic Accuracy.

Pas Tout La-- the best way to get into it is to come out to a match and shoot! It's really that easy.

Check out this link: http://www.uspsa.org/about-uspsa.php

Specifically, check out the "FAQ" and "Getting Started" subsections; there's a good bit of basic information there.

If you're willing to make the drive, you can shoot at least one match every weekend-- often, two. At the top of this page, check out the "Calendar" hotlink just above the sponsor ads. It's still stuck on 2012 (ahem, spanky) but you'll be able to see what days (1st Saturday, 2nd Sunday, etc.) that the matches fall-- and that's constant from month-to-month.

Cool...... I'm going to have to free up some time to make a trip that way and give it a shot. Do you NEED any modified systems or can you run an off the shelf weapon? I have a S&W MP9 VTAC.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    For your first match, it is highly suggested that you a gun you already have. Absolutely no need for a highly modified pistol at all-- there's a Division for just about everything.

I shot an M&P 9 Pro all of last year-- the VTAC will be more than adequate.

With that pistol, all you need is enough mags to bring ~50 rounds to the line and pouches for all of the spares. More is better in this regard, especially for your first time out, but 50 will be adequate for any stage you'll face, and you can stick mags in your pockets if absolutely necessary.

I'd double check with someone to make sure your holster and pouches are legit-- there are some restrictions here and there, mostly for safety concerns. That said-- people are often more than willing to loan out gear if you need it. I've got 9mm M&P mags and even a full rig you could borrow, so long as I'm going to be at the same match and you're not too much bigger in the midsection than I am.

On top of that, eye and ear pro are obviously mandatory. Add in a focus on being safe for your first few matches, a willingness to learn about the sport from some of the more experienced guys, and the desire to have a BLAST-- you're good to go!

Top Bottom