Snake infestation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    This is what the realtor told me he’d do with it. Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to afford building a house after I purchased the property.
    If I’m trying to buy a house and the realtor recommends burning it down I think that would be a sign to start looking elsewhere. Just my take though maybe he/she was just trying to be funny.

Smiml7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2023
    Oh
    If I’m trying to buy a house and the realtor recommends burning it down I think that would be a sign to start looking elsewhere. Just my take though maybe he/she was just trying to be funny.
    It
    It’s really not in terrible shape besides the snakes. It’s priced right for the land. The house is pretty much free.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Yeah I would have to call in an air strike of napalm from a few F-4's!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112_220420_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20231112_220420_Chrome.jpg
      313.2 KB · Views: 29

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I stand corrected !!! DON'T USE MOTHBALLS !!! Thanks sawgrass. Maybe call a professional pest control company??
    Actually, I think La26 is on to the best answer. Have a reputable pest control company individual look at the house and give you his opinion and a quote to remove them. It is the same as if you knew the AC or roof had problems. You probably should also have a home inspection too unless you are very knowledgeable in that area.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Snakes, especially young snakes, will shed 6-12 times a year per snake. It's likely a snake that has lived there for a while and the sheds have just never been disturbed or removed, or maybe a few generations, rather than hundreds of snakes. Some snakes, like racers and garders/ribbons, will "nest"/overwinter/lay eggs in large groups/colonies of mixed species (like racers with garders). If it's not a sealed house they may die in the winter or evacuate the premises during the summer's heat. If you do something like fix the roof & then fix the interior before you seal all of their exits they are likely to leave with all of the disturbance.

And while reptile enthusiasts often say that music doesn't negatively impact their snakes, I'd give loud (vibrations are important, actual sound level is not) resonating music a chance as well.

You're running out of warm days for the season. If you see a week of 80f+ sunny days, I'd start the music on day 1, while trying some of those items on the list above.

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    Get a cat that's used to being outside and let it have the run of the house. Likely they'll run the snake out but if not they are great at finding them. If you find it, just stick it in a box and move it way away from the house if you don't want to kill it. Otherwise, it'll try to come back and have babies, molt or hibernate. It's those triangle headed ..... ..... that you've got to worry about.

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    Do you have fire insurance on the property?
    Light a fire and leave…
    Blame it on the snakes. Get one of the skins, put a burned match in it's mouth. You might want to wait until the fire is out to strategically place the arson loving snake skin in an incriminating spot, like right next to a gas can.

Smiml7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2023
    Oh
    I talked to a local guy who does pest control. He said he’s done this before and more than likely the female has left enough pheromones that the house is probably a breeding ground and will continue to attract snakes from miles around unless it is completely gutted. I think I’m going to pass on this house.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I talked to a local guy who does pest control. He said he’s done this before and more than likely the female has left enough pheromones that the house is probably a breeding ground and will continue to attract snakes from miles around unless it is completely gutted. I think I’m going to pass on this house.
    I've spent years as a wildlife educator, animal rehabber, researcher, and animal person...and I think that is total BS.

It's a pretty comical proclamation that he made. Post some pictures.

I've worked with hundreds of snakes over the years and have breeding grounds for several species on the property, collecting between 10-20 sheds a year is not uncommon just on casual walks around the yard.

Use it as an out, if you want out, but if you want the property get it regardless of this.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    From what I have hear it is hard to get rid of trouser snakes. I had a friend who was into them in a big way. Had to stop talking to him, he was difficult, I just could not keep it up. He did tell me that a big trouser snake will usually run off the small ones, he called it stiff competition. He liked to go hands on, guess he was not worried about getting shot with some venom. I steer clear, for obvious reasons.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    the female has left enough pheromones that the house is probably a breeding ground and will continue to attract snakes from miles around unless it is completely gutted.

That doesn't pass the "smell test", pun intended. If that was true La would be loaded with houses that needed to be gutted. I have a farm house that has been vacant for years and environment be damned, a few bug bombs and couple of boxes of mothballs seems to have run all of the critters off. The attic does smell like an old ladies closet...

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    During the repair process most will leave unnoticed. If you are DIYing it you can be strategic and intentional about the way you do things, so that the animals can leave instead of dying in your walls. You'll be replacing all of the insulation and probably the roof anyway, maybe sheetrock, and you'll be sealing the house if you're doing it right so they won't get back in. It's not a turnkey property, from your description, and repairing it will likely solve this problem in the process. You could probably trap and remove some before you even get started with anything.

The pheromones...unless your house is on top of a fire tower or mountain the pheromones aren't attracting anything from miles away, and snakes are lazy. They might travel a few blocks at the most, unless they are chased or transported.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    They are used in demo explosives and sometimes movie sets for controlled explosion enhancement. They sublimate from solid to gas and their vapors are seriously flammable. Combine with an oxygenated environment and the fireball is awesome. And no, I am not telling you how to do it :eek3:

Once knew a circle track driver who would dissolve moth balls in gasoline. He got a little carried away and burned his valves out.

sparkymgc

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    I know this will sound weird - chili powder and fresh peeled garlic. Drives the snakes away. The pungent fumes ward them off. I have used it around my shed a few times and I’ve seen a couple scurry out after pushing a bag under the sheds foundation. Worth a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom