So.... I want a flashlight

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    as for batteries, I always carry a spare set or two with me. Before I switched to NiMh rechargeables I was using Energizer Lithium in my AA devices, they last longer and are lighter, I've been using them ever since I had a pager years ago. They also have a very good shelf life, if not equal to a 123 battery. Those are reasons why I want to stick with a AA platform.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Manimal, Say I wanted the low mode but the last time I used it was in low mode. I wouldn't have to cycle thru the high mode to get to the low mode?

Nope, in 'Stage' mode it starts at Low.

Stage = Low-Med-High-Turbo-Turbo SOS

Turbo = Turbo-Turbo Strobe

Can cycle between turbo and stage mode while the flashlight is on or off by simply turning the head of the light.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Nope, in 'Stage' mode it starts at Low.

Stage = Low-Med-High-Turbo-Turbo SOS

Turbo = Turbo-Turbo Strobe

Can cycle between turbo and stage mode while the flashlight is on or off by simply turning the head of the light.

But in stage mode, to go from, say, low to high, you'd have to cycle past med.?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Yeah, it goes in the order I described. I think Med-High-Turbo-Turbo SOS on Stage mode are pretty much special purpose. I haven't ever used anything other than Turbo or Low in a time of need.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I am not a big flashlight guy, but I wanted a nice, bright, CHEAP one that would blind someone long enough for me to put a bunch of 9mm vents in em.
    So I went to wally world.There I found this flash light.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10196618

It is the best, brightest,cheapest sort of tactical flash light I could find. It completely illuminates a 10' circle on my back fence from 80' away. I used it all thru Gustave and haven't changed the batteries yet. It is one of the best "value" buy's I have ever made.
    I personally think it may be some kinda copy of the Surefire. At 115 lumens it is really brite.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I've made people nauseous with my strobe before. And this drunk guy asked me to strobe him b/c he said it wouldn't make him sick...it didnt, but after a 5 second strobe he asked me..."You said I'll be able to see again in a few minutes right?" haha

I'm tempted to buy a 700 lumen light from DealeXtreme.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    I've got the P60L in a G2L. Definately not worth $50. Check out Malkoff if you want a dropin. They make a lower output one specifically for use in the G2...the high output isn't recommended for more than 10 minute periods in the G2 to avoid damaging the light and the LED. The "low" output is 140 lumens, so it's still brighter than the P60L. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=8&zenid=re4rc6o3or8dgouq55s9ivhprbn01sad

FWIW, I got my replacement bezel from SureFire yesterday. I asked for one of the newer, powdercoated aluminum ones so I could use the light for longer without the LED dimming due to heat. They shipped me another plastic one instead.

Check out the Rayovac line of AA and C LEDs as well. I'm pretty sure they're rebranded Nuwais.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Precisely. The g2 is nuce but its a burdon in my pocket.

Ill check out the one you suggested, the other; if you say "if I want it bad enough," that means I can't afford it :rofl:

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    I have a G2L in yellow, bought it when they first came out. Back then the G2L was just a stock G2 with a P60L inside. After a few months SF must've gotten enough complaints about them dimming as they heated up, because the black ones started to ship with the aluminum hexhead bezel/Pyrex lens like they used on the 6P. The yellow aluminum bezel took a few more months because they're powdercoated rather than anodized.

Customers reported different experiences with customer service. Owners of black G2s were typically just sent a new bezel in the mail, while owners of yellow lights were told they'd have to mail their old plastic bezel in as an exchange. I wrote to them back in August to ask about getting an aluminum one.

My buddy has the Malkoff M60 (235 lumen model) in a 6Z. It seemed every bit as bright as my SL-20X. Still suffers somewhat from being washed out by ambient light, but I've yet to try an LED that hasn't done that.

I really don't know how long the P6OL will run at highpower before dimming. I do know that when it first came out the G2L had a longer listed runtime than the 6PL precisely because the G2L would drop to a lower output from the heat so the batteries had less current draw. I bought it purely as a stashlight for the car's center console. I wanted something that'd have a long enough runtime to get through any car trouble and also not need to worry about a bulb breaking. I still use incans for 99% of my other uses.

Here's a runtime graph I found. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176621

The Malkoff and P60L will both run off up to 9V...no increased brightness, just extra runtime. The same module would work in a 6P or 9P series. It might even fit the Cabela's knockoffs.

Last edited:

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    I've seen the Alephs on CPF before. I lose interest in most threads once the modders you mentioned start in. I want something I can put batteries in and it'll work, not something I have to gather special parts made out of unobtanium from sources scattered across the globe, send them to other folks for milling and soldering, then finally cobble together a charger that looks like Fred Sanford and Rube Goldberg stayed up all night drinking Ripple.

I'm trying to remember how much my G2L cost originally. $54, maybe? No way I'd go $70 now. Even after I got the G2L I started to wonder if I would've been better off with two standard G2s and a spares carrier.

I'm thinking about ordering the high output Malkoff. Or I may wait til I'm stateside again and reclaim my other A2. It has red LEDs like the one here...may look into one of the B/S/T forums to see if anyone wants to swap it for a white one. I also need to get my busted Stinger fixed and get a "smart" charger for it. This habit is just as addictive/expensive as my holster collecting.

It's a damn shame that SureFire stopped R&D work on regulated incandescents after the A2 was released.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    I knew the McLeish was turning out complete lights...IIRC there's also a large amount of compatible aftermarket stuff.

I was referring to your previous comments about how any CPF thread seems to turn into a tweakfest.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    During lunch, I wander in to the local cop emporium, as they have moved to new location across from Cortana Mall. I walked out with a StreamLight Scorpion C4. Good hotspot, excellent corona, 2.5 hours regulated run time before drop-off, goof-proof tail switch. Fifty-five bucks OTD.

I thought the BR Police Supply had been there for ages? The one upstairs in that office/shopping complex?

Top Bottom