So this is the new Glock?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I don't get the hype about the Gen 4 either, maybe I'm missing something but as I see it the differences are the swappable mag release and this backstrap thingy that looks like an inconvenience?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I don't get the hype about the Gen 4 either, maybe I'm missing something but as I see it the differences are the swappable mag release and this backstrap thingy that looks like an inconvenience?

I admit I haven't handled the Glock adjustable straps (all mine are Gen 3 or sooner), but I don't care for them in Smith's M&Ps. I hope the Glock is a better design....

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    "Glock released the G37, after receiving a special request from the Florida Highway Patrol."

I wonder if Glock is supplying the FHP with FREE .45 GAP ammo just for carrying this morphodite caliber?

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Glock Perfection... Revision 4 and counting...

If one wants to be politically correct, it's almost like Gen 6...

Gen 1 was the original pebble frame
    Gen 2 was a modified frame (no longer the pebble grip)
    Gen 2.5 (which should be Gen 3) was the 3 pin system
    Gen 3 (which should be Gen 4) was the introduction of the finger groves and light rail
    Gen 3 (as I see it, Gen 5) was the RTF feature
    Gen 4 (which should be Gen 6) is what the new product is...

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I understand the point of NOT having a manual safety on a Glock, but IMO if they would OFFER one, they would generate a ton of more sales than these silly gimmicks they try and call them improvements.

I know plenty of people who would own a Glock, but because they do not come with a manual thumb safety, they won't, and I think the US military is one of them.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I understand the point of NOT having a manual safety on a Glock, but IMO if they would OFFER one, they would generate a ton of more sales than these silly gimmicks they try and call them improvements.

I know plenty of people who would own a Glock, but because they do not come with a manual thumb safety, they won't, and I think the US military is one of them.

What makes you think certain agencies within the US Mil doesn't already use Glocks?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I knew that was coming...

I know that certain agencies DO.

I mean that they would be adopted by MORE agencies in a more widespread manner.

I would much rather see the G17 or G19 adopted over the 92FS. I mean thats a no brainer.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Don't take this the wrong way, but one has to wonder if Glock will become more open to the idea of new products when Robert Glock controls the company (assuming he does), akin to what happened at Ruger in the years following WBR...Robert designed the G36- which is arguably the closest thing to "something different" Glock has offered- to this day.

It's hard to argue with what GG has done, from the standpoint of building his business into a colossus. But purely from a gun guy who'd like to see something new, I wonder how much of the "stay the course" attitude is strictly due to the man himself? After all- this is the man who refused to alter his pistol for the US Military's pistol trials in which the Beretta M9 eventually won out. Just thinking out loud.....:confused:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    My thoughts exactly, Oleheat.

When Glocks came out 25 years ago, they were revolutionary. It was a new way of doing things. It worked, and it worked well. Glock was so far ahead of everyone else at the time, nothing came close. But times have changed and more and more manufacturers are making products that are just as good or better than the Glock and if Glock refuses to be the innovative company that they once were, they're going to be left behind.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't blame Glock, they're sticking with what they know and are selling shitloads of guns. Introducing something new could only serve to tarnish they're reputation if it can't live up to the standards of the Glock pistols. And it probably wouldn't.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The only reasson why they should have the "need" to reinvent their product is if the costumers would stop buying until the upgrades would take place to meet the "new trend" and that is NEVER going to happen, as much as some of us hate to admit it, they make a damm good and reliable product and people will continue to buy them for years to come. People tend to stick to what they know and like, pretty similar to a BMW owner who follows the brand for the rest of his life since he already knows what to expect for his money.

Besides their market is not only the US, so what we might like or want here might not be the trend everywheres else.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Introducing something new could only serve to tarnish they're reputation if it can't live up to the standards of the Glock pistols. And it probably wouldn't.

This is what I think is their problem now. The "New" things they're introducing are tarnishing their reputation because they don't address legitimate problems and they answer questions nobody asked. ie: 45 GAP.

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Worse yet, they keep trying to fix stuff that isn't broken - 45 ACP, third gen guns, etc.

Sure, the third gens weren't broken but besides the double recoil spring, I see the 4th gen features not so much as fixes, but slight improvements. I don't need the interchangeable backstraps, but I'm sure some bear pawed or todler mitted shooter welcomes them. I didn't find the old texturing lacking, but there's tons of folks with skateboard tape on their gen 3s, so someone out there is appreciating the rough texture. I also think the giant mag release is a great idea. Mag changes were no problem before on the full size models, but at least it will help slightly with economy of motion, since you will need to roll the gun less/not at all depending on the length of your thumb. I find the mag release on my G26 a little harder to get to than on my full sizes, so the gen 4 big button should help the compacts out greatly. Now the double recoil spring, I'll give you. That definitely was a fix for something that wasn't broken.

Once they work out the recoil spring kinks, I'll most likely buy gen 4 versions of my carry Glocks just for that big ole' mag button.

As to all the guys saying Glock's falling behind on the times, I'm not so sure that's entirely the case. The only similar class pistol that I think has gone ahead of Glocks is the M&P, which hasn't done anything revolutionary or game changing; Just way better ergonomics. Now, the pocket pistols have definitely come a long way with the tiny .380s and slimline 9's but Glock hasn't entered that ballgame. They need to hurry up and do so, but as far as the guns classes that they currently make, I don't think anyone has really revolutionized he game while Glock sat on their hands.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That's the thing about Glocks, though....They are guaranteed to start a debate- but they still work & still sell.

I don't think there's any doubt that Mr. Glock is a stubborn man. But who the hell am I to question his motives? :o

I'm am of the opinion that the .45 GAP (like someone mentioned earlier) is probably the best example of this stubborness.

People pleaded for a large capacity .45 with a smaller frame that didn't require the hands of a gorilla to handle. So what does he do? Invent a new .45 cartridge that will "perform like a .45 ACP"!!:doh:
    Uh, Mr. Glock. That's not what we meant. :dunno:

Anyway, I do not know if we'll ever see a different product offering from them. From their standpoint- like others have mentioned- you can't blame them. I tend to disagree that they are in danger of falling behind. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Take a good look around.

Top Bottom