So this is the new Glock?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Without a "manual" safety the Glock is already incapable of firing without the triiger being pulled. As in a steel block separates the firing pin and the primers it wull strike only after you have completely depressed the trigger.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I guess that's one way of applauding S&W and Springfield. Glock is having to imitate THEIR features and upgrades to the polymer pistol platform ;)

Get back to me when either of them file a successful lawsuit against Glock.

They'd be suing HK if it was for copying the polymer frame. ;)

Actually, jut the opposite happened. S&W was sued by Glock and WON! When S&W jumped on the polymer band wagon, they broke several copyright infringements on their Sigma series and was proven that some Glock parts (when interchanged with the Smith) would function the Smith.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Actually, jut the opposite happened. S&W was sued by Glock and WON! When S&W jumped on the polymer band wagon, they broke several copyright infringements on their Sigma series and was proven that some Glock parts (when interchanged with the Smith) would function the Smith.

I suppose Smith could call it a win if they wanted to, but they did end up having to pay Glock between 5 & 8 million dollars, and agreed to implement a slight design modification.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I suppose Smith could call it a win if they wanted to, but they did end up having to pay Glock between 5 & 8 million dollars, and agreed to impliment a slight design modification.

I meant it to say S&W was sued by Glock and Glock won the lawsuit... You were right in your statement.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I meant it to say S&W was sued by Glock and Glock won the lawsuit... You were right in your statement.

Cool....I had to check & make sure my memory wasn't starting to fail. That'll come soon enough.... :doh:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The Glock 17 did not participate in those trials. It wasn't a matter of it being altered. The Contract Award was written to include a provision that after X amount of guns the pistols had to be produced and serviced at a US Factory. At the time Glock was a small company and had no intentions or ability to open a US Factory.

No doubt the US factory stipulation was the biggest factor. I bet he'd still refuse to to it today!

Wasn't it also true that the Beretta 92 & Sig 226 were basically a wash, IIRC- even though the Beretta became the M9 due to cost? So close that the Sig was given a gov't designation of it's own? I can't remember all of the story....:o

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    No doubt the US factory stipulation was the biggest factor. I bet he'd still refuse to to it today!

Wasn't it also true that the Beretta 92 & Sig 226 were basically a wash, IIRC- even though the Beretta became the M9 due to cost? So close that the Sig was given a gov't designation of it's own? I can't remember all of the story....:o

Not entirely. The SiG 226, which was their entry, never received an M-Designator. A short while later the P228 became the M11. I'm sure he would submit an entry if the competition were held today. In fact the 21SF came into existence because of the JCP Solicitation and there was a Manual Safety variant prepared also. The deciding factor between the Beretta and SiG guns was unit cost for the Pistol, 3 Magazines, and cleaning gear.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Not entirely. The SiG 226, which was their entry, never received an M-Designator. A short while later the P228 became the M11. I'm sure he would submit an entry if the competition were held today. In fact the 21SF came into existence because of the JCP Solicitation and there was a Manual Safety variant prepared also. The deciding factor between the Beretta and SiG guns was unit cost for the Pistol, 3 Magazines, and cleaning gear.

Interesting stuff....So it was the 228, & not the 226...thanks for the info. :)

That JCP thing sure did create a stir for something that never came to pass! Not to mention damn near everbody in the pistol biz came out with a new polymer .45 ACP service pistol. :rofl: It did manage to sell a lot of pistols, I guess. I admit it: I fell for a desert sand, M&P 45 with the external safety on one of my "impulse buys". Maybe that was their idea, all along! :o

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    They have a few major State Police Contracts for that model so until they swap I guess they will continue to carry the flop.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can believe they still are continuing to manufacturing the Glock 37.

"NEIN!! Ve vill NEVAH schtopp makking zie 37!!!"

I can't believe it, either. Maybe someday we can all look forward to a new Glock 40. No, not a new .40 S&W model- a .40 GAP.

Yipee.
    mad0259.gif

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Glock has been making some frames in Ga. for several years and are now producing a few pistols for export. If Glock received a US Military contract the pistols would be made in the USA.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Glock has been making some frames in Ga. for several years and are now producing a few pistols for export. If Glock received a US Military contract the pistols would be made in the USA.

Really? I didn't know that....Do they currently sell them here, or just for export?
    I guess the slides & other parts are still made in Austria?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Really? I didn't know that....Do they currently sell them here, or just for export?
    I guess the slides & other parts are still made in Austria?

They have been assembling imported parts with a Ga. made full size frame for a while and are supposed to be geared up to build complete guns for export.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They have been assembling imported parts with a Ga. made full size frame for a while and are supposed to be geared up to build complete guns for export.

Hmm...that's an interesting piece of info....Thanks.

Yeah, that would solve the domestic issue for a gov't bid, you'd think....

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Manual safeties are for sissies. Why they didnt release all of the. 45 and 10mm pistols in Gen4 I'll never know. I held a 22 with no backstrap, it felt so odd.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That JCP thing sure did create a stir for something that never came to pass! Not to mention damn near everbody in the pistol biz came out with a new polymer .45 ACP service pistol. :rofl: It did manage to sell a lot of pistols, I guess. I admit it: I fell for a desert sand, M&P 45 with the external safety on one of my "impulse buys". Maybe that was their idea, all along! :o

The thing about JCP that made it different is the award was not going to pay to develop a pistol. Essentially to compete and win for JCP you had to bring a girl that already knew how to dance. There was no time or dollars to fix fleas. The down selection dates and milestones were very close together. Most of the units involved already had a favorite before the submission process ever began. It would have been a very very contentious process with more than a few hurt feelings.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom