So You Want to Open Carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Open Carry Is Bad Enough and Open Carry Behind The Hip Makes A Gun Grab Much Easier.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Most of the time I've seen someone open carrying, they were in walmart with some $5.00 uncle mike's holster, zero retention. I'm just picturing it being grabbed like the video, or someone going to the hardware section and coming back with a hammer, smacking the oc'er in the head and walking out with a new shiny pistol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk Pro

aborne108

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2020
    Thibodaux
    Most of the time I've seen someone open carrying, they were in walmart with some $5.00 uncle mike's holster, zero retention. I'm just picturing it being grabbed like the video, or someone going to the hardware section and coming back with a hammer, smacking the oc'er in the head and walking out with a new shiny pistol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk Pro
    I get super nervous whenever I see someone open carry. Most times its like you mentioned with the carrier displaying zero awareness and a less than ideal carry set up. I used to think open carry was a good idea, but most don't take the task seriously

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Anyone wanting to open carry out in public should be required to wear a bright colored shirt with a large bullseye target on front and back, also a flashing light on top of their head to show that they are and will be a easy target for anybody up to no good and so go ahead and try and take me out first before doing their bad deeds. .......With the attitude of so many anti guns people why would give them any ammunition to start spreading their jaded views and calling out in loud voices that "he has a gun" (have seen this on several occasions.).......... Just because the law says it is legal to open carry does not make it a good idea to do so under all conditions. But to each their own decisions. ............................ drill sgt.

Last edited:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I occasionally open carry instead of conceal, but that largely depends on where I’m going, how I’m dressed, company I expect to be in, etc...when I do, I make a point to stay more hyper vigilant of my surroundings than I normally do anyway and I use a lvl 2 Cytac holster.....And it damn sure isn’t by my back pocket like that guys... lol. I'll keep mine at about my 2:30-3 O'Clock

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Too bad we can't remove this guy's stealing hand. Maybe that would make the road to 50 arrests a little more difficult.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That pistol was totally in the pocket, not exposed.

So this thread is really about the dangers of conceal carry?

The thief may have even thought he was grabbing a wallet. No telling....

snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    Open carry is a bad idea 99 percent of the time.

First, it frightens many people when they see someone doing this. You might think it's their problem, but those people also vote, and such experiences for them can easily push them over to the more general anti-gun line of thinking.

Second, as some above have suggested, it's a red flag for a bad guy to acquire your gun, and I don't care how much retention your holster has.

Third, I just don't see any advantage in doing it. If your excuse is you're simply excising your second amendment right, you're not being smart about it because you're hurting the rest of us who don't feel like we need to openly carry a gun just because we can. We chose to be smart about it.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Doc Holiday knew how to open carry,Pistols in front

Attachments

• doc.jpg
      doc.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 57

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    That pistol was totally in the pocket, not exposed.

So this thread is really about the dangers of conceal carry?
    The entire grip was sticking out of his back pocket. If you slow the video down you can clearly see the gun and the thugs hands never go Into the mans pocket just a quick snatch and grab

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    open carry is a bad idea 99 percent of the time.

First, it frightens many people when they see someone doing this. You might think it's their problem, but those people also vote, and such experiences for them can easily push them over to the more general anti-gun line of thinking.

Second, as some above have suggested, it's a red flag for a bad guy to acquire your gun, and i don't care how much retention your holster has.

Third, i just don't see any advantage in doing it. If your excuse is you're simply excising your second amendment right, you're not being smart about it because you're hurting the rest of us who don't feel like we need to openly carry a gun just because we can. We chose to be smart about it.

agreed 100%

Top Bottom