Soft Shell Turtles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Been cooking snapping turtles forever. But, what about soft shell, is the meat cooked the same? And judging by the thickness of the skin I assume that it is left behind before cooking. And can anything be done with the shell?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    IMHO Soft Shells is the cream of the crop when it comes to turtles.

Here's what 3 soft shells in a Chicken Sauce Piquante type gravy on jasmine rice looks like :D

o4x2jthdtjbv8gstaw2j.jpg

Someone on Facebook asked me where we got the Soft Shell Turtles. I said, from some black guys underneath a bridge near Lacassine. LOL

Was the truth :dunno: :mamoru:

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Son of a bitch that looks good!!! Turtle sauce picuante is the "Last meal" of food for me, the absolute best. Me and my dad never cooked it and gonna try some this week for the first time. Our largest snapper was about 1 1/2 feet wide this soft shell was over 2' and we got more meat then we expected. Can't wait!!"

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    soft shells are much better than snapper. they are more of a predator than the snapper(scavenger).

the shells dry to a hard leathery texture and look nice carved upon.

TDuhe87

PADUE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Prairieville
    Man i have cought plenty of softshells and i have tried drying the shells already and it has never worked for me, they get all nasty and start to rot. As for cleaning the turtle i always filet the skin off of the meat. i have left a little bit of skin on before and it didnt taste very good, it tasted pretty fishy. But you just cook the meat the same way, i really cant tell the difference between the snapper and a softshell

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Son of a bitch that looks good!!! Turtle sauce picuante is the "Last meal" of food for me, the absolute best. Me and my dad never cooked it and gonna try some this week for the first time. Our largest snapper was about 1 1/2 feet wide this soft shell was over 2' and we got more meat then we expected. Can't wait!!"

That's always the case when cleaning a Soft Shell. Folks are always suprised by the amount of meat.

As far as the shell I was wondering the same. Can you buff/polish it like a hard shell turtle?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What they said! Soft-shells have several different "types" of meat (think "white / dark meat") and are IMHO better than snapping turtle.

I'll tell you this- they're mean as hell and WILL take you on!! If snapping turtles had their personality....I don't even wanna consider that. :dogkeke:

Top Bottom