Solar Roadways, Parking Lots and Driveways

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Could this be a REAL solution? I personally think this a great idea but for some reason, deep down, I don't think it will really happen.

What do ya'll think?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I saw this the other day on Facebook. Would be badass. I don't know if it would happen because, as many jobs it would create, they need money to start the project, EVEN THOUGH it would eventually pay for itself.

But seriously. I want to know where the prototypes are so I can go see them for myself.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think it would be awesome. However, I think it won't happen in our lifetime. Even if it pays for itself eventually, can you imagine the upfront cost?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    They actually received funding for the prototypes from from the highway admin, I believe it was.

Not only would it create jobs but much safer roadways. The fact that it can alert you to objects ahead via LED lighting is amazing. Plus it is all heated and would keep the roads from freezing over and icing.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think it would be awesome. However, I think it won't happen in our lifetime. Even if it pays for itself eventually, can you imagine the upfront cost?

Yep! Just the idea of solar energy has already cost us Billions; a la democrats, Solyndra, and many of these other promising green energy firms.

Here are the ones that skipped off into the sunset with MY money! Why aren't all these people in prison? They all stole money.

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/10/18/president-obamas-taxpayer-backed-green-energy-failures/

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Rest-in-Peace-The-List-of-Deceased-Solar-Companies

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They actually received funding for the prototypes from from the highway admin, I believe it was.

Not only would it create jobs but much safer roadways. The fact that it can alert you to objects ahead via LED lighting is amazing. Plus it is all heated and would keep the roads from freezing over and icing.

I agree everything about it is awesome. I'm just saying, think of the expense and hassle even repairing or modifying current roads. Millions of dollars and a month of traffic headaches to add a lane on a 1/2 mile stretch or road. I imagine the time to install the solar system would be even greater, and the time it would take to train entire worforces on the install. Just not even fathomable to replace entire roadways with it anytime soon.

I can totally see them doing some parking lots and recreational areas with the technology though, and possibly some new roadways. Good ol' fashioned blacktop interstates and highways aren't going away for a looooooong time.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I agree everything about it is awesome. I'm just saying, think of the expense and hassle even repairing or modifying current roads. Millions of dollars and a month of traffic headaches to add a lane on a 1/2 mile stretch or road. I imagine the time to install the solar system would be even greater, and the time it would take to train entire worforces on the install. Just not even fathomable to replace entire roadways with it anytime soon.

I can totally see them doing some parking lots and recreational areas with the technology though, and possibly some new roadways. Good ol' fashioned blacktop interstates and highways aren't going away for a looooooong time.

Oh yeah, I completely agree with you on that. I don't think the cost would be millions, probably more like trillions. They would have to start small and work there way up. Like you said, parking lots, play grounds, rec areas and the such.

Another issue would be that the cities and states would actually have to hire intelligent people, not just sign turners anymore. It would prolly cut down the numbers in the workforce drastically. The positive impact as far as jobs is considered would be on the manufacturing side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom