Somebody has hijacked my phone number

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Apparently, somebody is using my landline number as their caller ID. It started a couple of days ago when I got a call from someone who thought they had called a cable company. Then it was an insurance agent. Then it was a string of "I missed a call from this number." When I got home today I had a voicemail "I don't know who you people is, but y'all need to stop calling my phone." I got a call from Sandra that was upset that I stood her up, and didn't keep an appointment to fix her furniture.

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do about this. I can't change my phone number it's on business cards, accounts, checks, etc.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Apparently, somebody is using my landline number as their caller ID. It started a couple of days ago when I got a call from someone who thought they had called a cable company. Then it was an insurance agent. Then it was a string of "I missed a call from this number." When I got home today I had a voicemail "I don't know who you people is, but y'all need to stop calling my phone." I got a call from Sandra that was upset that I stood her up, and didn't keep an appointment to fix her furniture.

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do about this. I can't change my phone number it's on business cards, accounts, checks, etc.

Does your number in with 8238?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It is really easy these days to manipulate the outbound caller ID. I have people I did not call, call my cell phone on a not infrequent basis asking "why did you call me?" I get phone calls regularly to my (it's on Ooma) home line with my area code and exchange prefix that are spam calls from where-ever. Until the phone companies enforce not letting calls come in presenting a number that you do not own, this will not get better.

As best I can tell, most if not all domestic telecom companies will not let you source a caller ID for an outbound call if you do not own that number. We use Lumen at work. We cannot output a non-owed and registered caller ID (direct or toll free) with them. I'm guessing this is largely an overseas problem that our domestic phone companies have either chosen not to address or have not been incentivized enough yet to address.

I generally hate to advocate for federal action, but for this situation, it is likely the only remedy.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Odd that it happened that frequently. I’ve had random people call me saying they missed a call from me as well as numbers I’ve called back and the people on the other end swore they didn’t call and had no clue what I was talking about.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Odd that it happened that frequently. I’ve had random people call me saying they missed a call from me as well as numbers I’ve called back and the people on the other end swore they didn’t call and had no clue what I was talking about.
    My son received a spam call from his own phone number.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    If I ever find "Christina," I'm gonna kick her in her camel toe! "Christina" obviously used my cell number for all types of crap, because I get calls and texts for her all the time, aside from the regular annoying robocalls about my auto warranty. "Christina" is being sought about mortgage applications, debt consolidation plans, vacation clubs, home pet supply delivery, you name it, this chick signed up for it and put my cell number down. F#@k you, "Christina," f#@k you very much!

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    What is bad is when you get some of these phone calls and the caller ID is showing your own personel phone number......... String them along by asking what are you wearing??? Tell them that I work for the State Police and when I find out who they are that I will be coming to get them and they will be personally prosecuted to the full legal system. .................. drill sgt.

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I develop software and I can answer your question about spam calls. I too have received calls from my number.

You can use software to generate the caller id or sender's email address. The numbers are generated randomly, frequently using the same area code and first 3 digits of the person called to make it appear local. Many times the caller is not in this country.

I know how Do Not Call systems because I wrote one for my state AG. This was later taken over by the feds. The list is useless if the caller uses a computer generated number. Like gun laws, it only works for law abiding companies.

Using software to send emails has legitimate uses. This is how you get emails from Bayou Shooter, and other lists you subscribe to. I wrote code for a court to send emails to attorneys about cases that they were part of.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    What is bad is when you get some of these phone calls and the caller ID is showing your own personel phone number......... String them along by asking what are you wearing??? Tell them that I work for the State Police and when I find out who they are that I will be coming to get them and they will be personally prosecuted to the full legal system. .................. drill sgt.
    Back when I was working, I got more spam calls on my work phone than I got work calls. I got so many that I had the Attorney Generals phone number taped to the wall behind my computer monitor. When I got a spam call my response was "You've reached me on my cell and it's about to die. Please call me at this number XXX-XXXX my name is Jeff Landry." I don't know if they ever called the AG's office or not.

SouthernInsanity

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 31, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA

Can't say on a land line but I've had incoming calls that if i didn't recognize, i would hit an auto reply for them to text me because i was busy. Which turned into getting texts saying why was i texting them. Bottom line, i would screen shot the incoming call information for them.

My thoughts are that cell companies are selling your information or being sold from your PII gathered thru some app you have.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom