Son's first fish.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Just sharing a little story that I gained some wisdom from.

As a young father I got caught up in trying to make sure my son's first fishing trip was going to be amazing. Or what I thought would be amazing in "MY" eyes. Little did I know, that fish would be the least interesting thing my son would enjoy.

At first I lined up for us to go to a Catfish pond. When we got there the truck was swarmed(Literally) with thousands of mosquitoes. No way I'm dealing with that. So I told him it was closed and we'd have to come back later. "That's ok, we'll have to come back to-maw-wow", he says. Disappointed I said alright. We go back home, do some yard work, nap time etc. Then we go back that evening, same thing. This time I'm even more disappointed becuase I really wanted him to see a big catfish. So we truck it back home. With a few hours of daylight left I thought heck we'll just go behind the house in my little pond, Surely there's got to be a little brim or bass in it.

So we walk back there and in the end it was more about the trip (A whole 2 minute walk) that was so special for him. Getting the poles ready, walking to the back, watching for snakes, baiting the hook. He was completely blown away by the whole experience. This was two months ago.

Now that I look back and remember my own childhood memories, I remember more about the trip than I thought I did. More about my dad waking me up early, having the boat or truck already loaded than actually the kill or catch and I learned it all over again when I noticed my son was much more attracted to just being at the pond. He could care less about the fish :mamoru:

That is until he caught one.

So for those of you with children the same age, or not. I thinks it's good to remember it's not always just about the kill/catch. The quality time together is far too often overlooked.

He's 3 next month BTW.

pond013.jpg

pond035.jpg

His first REEL in !

pond046.jpg

pond053.jpg

Note: the P22 was in condition 3.
    (For you super observant guru's)

Last edited:

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    That is awesome! I remember my first hunting trip with my dad. I remember more about it than I do my last hunting trip that I took last season.

Being with dad usually means more to the kid than the actual catch/kill. I will always remember mine.

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    I take my son pond fishing almost every weekend. He is 4 and loves it! We've been to just about all the ponds I have permission to fish. We dont keep any fish, so he is now in the habit of throwing them back. Its a great time for us both.
    Anyone have a stocked pond in the Ascension parish area we can fish? lol

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Just a night crawler on a small hook with a cork.

He was actually more interested in reeling than watching the cork. :rofl:

ah, my vision fails me. Looked like you had a fly rod with a yellow fuzzy strike indicator.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That is awesome!! You are a great Dad- he will remember times like these forever!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Since you guys like the 2nd Pic I just had to add the last one. You can see just how close he wanted to get to the one he reeled in. lol !

pond053.jpg

I take my son pond fishing almost every weekend. He is 4 and loves it! We've been to just about all the ponds I have permission to fish. We dont keep any fish, so he is now in the habit of throwing them back. Its a great time for us both.
    Anyone have a stocked pond in the Ascension parish area we can fish? lol

That's sounds like me too. What ? you have a pond?, do you fish it ? I'm real conservative, don't worry :rofl:

That is awesome!! You are a great Dad- he will remember times like these forever!

Thanks alot for that :)

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    I dont have a pond hitman. I wish I did. Right now we make a bunch of trips to the same ole watering holes that I do have permission to fish. Or a public bayou.I can tell he gets tired of the same old same sometimes. I wish we had a few more places I could take him.

Perhaps we need a 'who has a pond we can take our kids fishing' thread?
    lol

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Perhaps we need a 'who has a pond we can take our kids fishing' thread?
    lol

I'm game for that. That's the story of my life. Hunting and Fishing others land.

Heck me and my brother slaughtered deer in Ruston, LA. You can bow hunt in the city limits, and Walmart was throwing all their busted corn bags behind the store. Straight Murder ! :cool: My Brother's Father-n-law was a pretty popular person in Ruston. He was given out our names to people that, (prepare yourself for this) Had a deer problem !?!?!?

I'm serious these folks would call us, and ask if we could get rid of these pest deer eating their flower bed.

It worked out ok, but a couple of them freaked out when they found blood trails thru their yards and driveways ! :rofl:

Man we ate good that year. Living back down here, I've NEVER heard of such a thing as a deer problem, unless someone was fussing about not being able to find them :rolleyes:

Top Bottom