Space X

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nah. Just off principle. Elon Musk is a smart guy. I can't and won't try to discredit that. However he has a democratic train of thought and I won't support him in any way. Being in the automotive industry my whole life doesn't help. He is one of the people trying to make everything electric, which makes my life harder. I'm a automotive technician. I use a high school degree to fix what a college educated engineer couldn't get right the first time.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am a huge SpaceX fan. Elon may be a twit and act like a child sometimes but he is driving the space race now. Between Super Heavy/Starship he will change the human species from a single planet to multiple-planet species. He is doing things that no one thought possible until he did it and now does it so well that it seems like it is part of normal everyday life. I for one can't wait until the first launch of Super Heavy/Starship it will be awesome.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Before you decide if you want to go or not you might want to watch this video SpaceX published of all their crashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvim4rsNHkQ

Granted, these were mostly all on landing and they've had a good track record recently but it still doesn't inspire confidence and I was genuinely nervous watching the crew go up last night.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana

Attachments

• G0053277.JPG
      G0053277.JPG
      6.4 KB · Views: 70
    Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Before you decide if you want to go or not you might want to watch this video SpaceX published of all their crashes:

Granted, these were mostly all on landing and they've had a good track record recently but it still doesn't inspire confidence and I was genuinely nervous watching the crew go up last night.

All of those crashes were early on and from them trying to learn how to get a first stage to come back to earth and land so they could reuse it. But since those early days they have launched more often than the next rocket and also have a better record. Even the US government and NASA are confident of their rockets safety as both NASA and the Armed Forces have certified that it is okay to now use SpaceX's reused first stages to launch all missions. NASA even launched the last Crewed Dragon mission to the ISS on a reused rocket first stage.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    All of those crashes were early on and from them trying to learn how to get a first stage to come back to earth and land so they could reuse it. But since those early days they have launched more often than the next rocket and also have a better record. Even the US government and NASA are confident of their rockets safety as both NASA and the Armed Forces have certified that it is okay to now use SpaceX's reused first stages to launch all missions. NASA even launched the last Crewed Dragon mission to the ISS on a reused rocket first stage.

They had several explosions just last year and one this year. I wholeheartedly support Elon, SpaceX and even own a Tesla Model S, but I wouldn't sit in that rocket. You don't see Elon volunteering to take a ride to space. He's not an idiot. Hell, even my Tesla tries to kill me every so often.

https://www.space.com/every-spacex-starship-explosion-lessons-learned

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    They had several explosions just last year and one this year. I wholeheartedly support Elon, SpaceX and even own a Tesla Model S, but I wouldn't sit in that rocket. You don't see Elon volunteering to take a ride to space. He's not an idiot. Hell, even my Tesla tries to kill me every so often.

https://www.space.com/every-spacex-starship-explosion-lessons-learned

Apples to Oranges. The dragon capsule was on the Falcon 9 and the latest RUDs happened with Starship which is still a prototype. They build them and then fly them to find the issues and yes they explode but they are learning things and iterating fast unlike SLS which has taken 10 years and hasn't flown once. With Starship, they are learning how to take a rocket into orbit and then bring it back down to earth safely and unlike the shuttle it is not an airplane and so they do the belly flop maneuver and the reorient with thrusters and do a retro burn to land safely. It only took like 6 tries to get it right and they are now waiting for FAA approval to do a full go to orbit and bring it back down maneuver which they fully expect to crash into the ocean but they will get great data from that and pretty soon they will be landing that big ass ship on earth and it will seem like something totally ordinary when it is, in reality, a paradigm-shifting change in how we get to space and back. I mean everyone said we could not bring the first stage back to earth and land it for reuse but now it is an ordinary sight to see SpaceX landing the first stage on land or on a barge at sea.

Elon isn't going on the rocket because he has nothing to prove, unlike Bezos and Branson who are trying to see who has the biggest tool. I mean come on Bezos rocket even looked like a dick....

Oh yeah and I would hop on that in a heartbeat if they asked because who would not want to see this big beautiful planet from space..

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Nah. Just off principle. Elon Musk is a smart guy. I can't and won't try to discredit that. However he has a democratic train of thought and I won't support him in any way. Being in the automotive industry my whole life doesn't help. He is one of the people trying to make everything electric, which makes my life harder. I'm a automotive technician. I use a high school degree to fix what a college educated engineer couldn't get right the first time.

For a “Democratic train of thought”, curious our Democrat president and admin won’t even acknowledge him or Tesla and are bending over backwards to help UAW screw them.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    * I use a high school degree to fix what a college educated engineer couldn't get right the first time.*
    KDerekT, I’m steeling that one.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine

People do not understand that engineering perfection is nearly impossible. Fixing Tesla will likely be easier for you down the road because it's probably all modular tech. They will however profit by making the knowledge exclusive and create their own market like Subaru and Ford certified Techs. Best mechanics I ever knew had zero education and they could actually fix broken parts with a welder, lathe, mill, and a hand tools. A handful of them left, but they struggle to make ends meet in a disposable modular world.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

You ever fly in a commercial airline ? ANY kind of aircraft for that matter ?

tjkenn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    Thank god for people like you. I still do not understand how these so-called educated people think that electric cars don't depend on fossil fuels. Where do they think the electricity comes from?

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Thank god for people like you. I still do not understand how these so-called educated people think that electric cars don't depend on fossil fuels. Where do they think the electricity comes from?

If my electricity provider could guarantee me that the electricity that was charging my car was 100% renewable then I could see them saying it is better but until that day happens they need to realize they are just shifting the greenhouse burden from the tailpipe to the electricity plant.

Top Bottom