Speed Vans denying your Constitutional Rights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Seems to me they are. You can be issued a citation without any ability to contest it in a Court. Here in Sulphur they say you can have a "mediation" instead.

I wish I could afford to move away from here!

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    They have been brought up in courts, along with red-light cameras that are permanent, and some places have deemed them unconstitutional on grounds that you are not granted the right to face your accuser.

From what I undestand, there is a pending lawsuit in Lafayette over them.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Unfortunately, the court case in Lafayette went for the cameras. The penalties are civil instead of criminal, so it's only a monetary penalty. By switching it to a civil fine, they get around the assorted amendments that control criminal procedures. The court was okay with it.

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Unfortunately, the court case in Lafayette went for the cameras. The penalties are civil instead of criminal, so it's only a monetary penalty. By switching it to a civil fine, they get around the assorted amendments that control criminal procedures. The court was okay with it.

Why isn't it a civil offense when a LEO gives you a ticket? How can the same offense go either way? What really happens if you dont pay it? Since it is civil, there will not be a warrant, right. Is it like not paying some other bill?

Where is McInfantry?

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    In summary, the Supreme Court many years ago had a case in which they said they were okay with localities reducing a criminal violation to a civil violation and only applying a monetary fine. A monetary fine is not considered deprivation of property, so "due process" doesn't apply. Also, because it is now civil in nature, the rules of evidence don't apply the same so they shifted to "preponderance of the evidence" rather than "beyond a reasonable doubt". If you are pulled over by a cop, it is still a criminal offense per the State code, but you can't get ticketed by the camera at the same time.

If you get ticketed, you can choose not to pay, but then it will result in a bench warrant (just like a parking ticket) at which point it goes to the criminal side.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    In summary, the Supreme Court many years ago had a case in which they said they were okay with localities reducing a criminal violation to a civil violation and only applying a monetary fine. A monetary fine is not considered deprivation of property, so "due process" doesn't apply. Also, because it is now civil in nature, the rules of evidence don't apply the same so they shifted to "preponderance of the evidence" rather than "beyond a reasonable doubt". If you are pulled over by a cop, it is still a criminal offense per the State code, but you can't get ticketed by the camera at the same time.

If you get ticketed, you can choose not to pay, but then it will result in a bench warrant (just like a parking ticket) at which point it goes to the criminal side.

Yep, see link three I posted.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I read about some guys who took a front end plate off of a speed van in Australia, then drove by it speeding somewhere in the realm of 20+ times, resulting in the municipality or state or whatever that owned the van receiving violations in the mail.

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    I read about some guys who took a front end plate off of a speed van in Australia, then drove by it speeding somewhere in the realm of 20+ times, resulting in the municipality or state or whatever that owned the van receiving violations in the mail.

Now that's street justice.
    :mamoru:

Top Bottom