Spray painting your guns? serious?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Paint stripper should not affect blueing unless you use an abrasive like steel wool or Scotchbrite pad or hard scraper. Krylon and most other spray paints can be removed by soaking in lacquer thinner or MEK. Do not use on plastic parts but there are strippers safe to use on plastic. Paint can generally be safely removed from plastic by soaking on DOT 3 brake fluid, thats why instructions on brake fluid says do not allow it to get on painted surfaces..

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Paint stripper should not affect blueing unless you use an abrasive like steel wool or Scotchbrite pad or hard scraper. Krylon and most other spray paints can be removed by soaking in lacquer thinner or MEK. Do not use on plastic parts but there are strippers safe to use on plastic. Paint can generally be safely removed from plastic by soaking on DOT 3 brake fluid, thats why instructions on brake fluid says do not allow it to get on painted surfaces..

hmm. good to know, thanks for the post

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    got all my toys ready to begin this project saturday.

fine grit sandpaper, kyrlon fusion-flat desert camo (going all tan), alcohol, shop rags, wooden blocks, ...am I missing anything?

alcohol bath for the gun, tape whats not being painted, sand it lightly, paint it, let dry, repeat prior 2 steps twice, remove tape, post pictures to bayoushooter.

am i missing any steps? any words of wisdom on disassembling gun vs just taping parts off?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    got all my toys ready to begin this project saturday.

fine grit sandpaper, kyrlon fusion-flat desert camo (going all tan), alcohol, shop rags, wooden blocks, ...am I missing anything?

alcohol bath for the gun, tape whats not being painted, sand it lightly, paint it, let dry, repeat prior 2 steps twice, remove tape, post pictures to bayoushooter.

am i missing any steps? any words of wisdom on disassembling gun vs just taping parts off?

If you are going to go through the trouble of sanding, prepping and taping then why not buy some cerakote or spring for a duracoat setup? It's not that expensive and you can start developing a marketable skill. The cerakote is rattle can and the duracoat is just a basic airbrush setup.

Don't get me wrong, I've used BBQ grill Rustoleum on the bottom of many Saigas post-conversion, but if you are going to put all that effort into it then investing a little more money might yield much better results. Check out the prices online. They are very reasonable.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    ill take a peek, thanks for the tip.

I presume reading between the lines though, "tape n spray" was perfectly acceptable? It's so seldom that the easy way is the better way, so I felt like I 'needed'? to take it down

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    Krylon:bigok:

IMG_1490-1.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics