Springfield Echelon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Had a chance to take the brand new Springfield Echelon for a test drive this week, thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

Bottom line up front: I love it, and feel really weird about saying that about a plastic Springfield. Shoots nicely, and it's surprisingly easy to run flat and fast.

How cool this is depends on what level of perspective you have. If you're of the "all plastic guns are the same" camp, then this is just another plastic gun and you'll have no interest in it whatsoever. If you're interested in innovation in the industry, this one's got some very cool features.

WHAT I LIKE:

1. The optic-mounting pin system is brilliant. Whoever thought that up needs a kiss on the pp. No more plates to mount the optic of your choice.

2. It's ambidextrous out of the box. Not just the slide catch but also the mag release (the button, uh, goes both ways).

3. The slide design is great. Forward cocking serrations are deep and useful, and the rear charging supports (stolen from the VP9 in principle) are useful.

4. The grip is great, with three tool-less backstraps to choose from. Triggerguard has a nice double-undercut with some stippling underneath.

5. The front of the grip has subtle flares on both sides that will serve as a bit of a thumb ledge / index point. This is an interesting move I've never seen before. The takedown lever itself is a small gas pedal.

6. It's got a serialized FCU like Sig's been doing lately, which paves the way for easy swapping of grip modules.

7. The trigger shoe is flat-ish and feels great. It's a good wall with a nice wall, clean break and short reset. The one I got averaged 3lb 3oz on the Lyman gauge. It's not quite a Canik trigger, but it's really well done.

8. For a full-sized pistol (same size as the G17) it's got a relatively modest grip profile. People with medium-sized hands will like this one a lot I think.

9. It comes with flush-fit 17rd mag, an extended 20rd mag, and an extra +3 so you can upsize the 17 if you're so inclined.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

1. You get your choice of u-notch or 3-dot sights, which is like having to pick whether you want to be kicked in the left nut or right nut.

2. The optic plate came loose after about 150 rounds. This is nothing more than a lack of good threadlocker from the factory, but it was a dumb problem to have.

3. The slide catch levers are unnecessarily tiny, and I could see myself getting angry with them over time.

Attachments

• IMG_4486.jpg
      IMG_4486.jpg
      970.7 KB · Views: 77
    • IMG_4490.JPG
      IMG_4490.JPG
      456.7 KB · Views: 70
    • IMG_4488.JPG
      IMG_4488.JPG
      423.6 KB · Views: 65
    • IMG_4489.JPG
      IMG_4489.JPG
      580.9 KB · Views: 73

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Thanks for the review. I was wondering how good the trigger was, looks like an improvement over most of the Tupperware guns but I haven't had an opportunity to finger F one yet. I appreciate the write up

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Thanks for the review. I was wondering how good the trigger was, looks like an improvement over most of the Tupperware guns but I haven't had an opportunity to finger F one yet. I appreciate the write up

Ditto. Thanks for the post, but what about the fire control system?

I will likely buy one to see what they are like, but as a 1911 fan boy, I have a low tolerance for crappola triggers. If the Echelon has enough in the plus column despite a typical striker fired trigger feel, I may keep it after I try it out.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Had a chance to take the brand new Springfield Echelon for a test drive...

WHAT I LIKE: ...

7. The trigger shoe is flat-ish and feels great. It's a good wall with a nice wall, clean break and short reset. The one I got averaged 3lb 3oz on the Lyman gauge. It's not quite a Canik trigger, but it's really well done.

I missed that on the 1st read of your post. Sounds promising.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I handle one of these at the Slidell show last weekend. Grip feel (which is subjective) is much better than the xdm, comparable to a ppq in that it is more "organic" in shape, so it works well with my hand. Not as boxy as some of the tactical Tupperware can be.

On a side note, I hadled the newer shadow systems 19x style gun (4" barrel, full size 17 grip) and it was very nice... Both guns were at the same table, right next to each other, so I got to go back and forth. Grip feel is not everything, I know, but i think better grip feel does help in the march towards better shooting.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I got to fondle one yesterday. The internals look a lot like the XD/XDM. Stick around for a couple weeks and all the major players will have trigger upgrades available soon.

Top Bottom