SR 71 Blackbird--3200 feet per sec...interesting video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Hi guy, did you know a B-52 crashed at barksdale loaded with nuclear bombs on board, ,in the area , I found the area when I and some friends were hunting deer on the base,we came up to a very high bobed wire fence about 15 feet high, and the wire had grown into some of the trees, this was 1970, their were radiation signs all over the fence. any way little known things about our old air force..
    The funny thing is they were supposed to leak fuel (JP-7). Considering how much the airframe stretched from heating, there was no way to seal the fuel tanks so the leak when cold. That’s also why the skin of the wing was corrugated so it wouldn’t crack. Once they hit cruse and the airframe heats up the leaks seal themselves. If you look at the photos of the SR’s approaching the tanker, if you can see the fuel leaking on the top of the wing, they have just taken off and are topping off the fuel load. If the wing is dry then she’s been at cruise and the tanks are sealed.

They used the fuel to cool various parts of the airframe and as hydraulic fluid for the engine exhaust nozzle. Also, the jet carried nitrogen in liquid form to blanket the fuel tanks with an inert gas to prevent a fire at operating temperatures.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Hi guy, did you know a B-52 crashed at barksdale loaded with nuclear bombs on board, ,in the area , I found the area when I and some friends were hunting deer on the base,we came up to a very high bobed wire fence about 15 feet high, and the wire had grown into some of the trees, this was 1970, their were radiation signs all over the fence. any way little known things about our old air force..

It wasn't a B-52 but a transport a/c.

I know because several friends were in that cotton field doing a survey.

The a/c seemed to be coming right at them. They helped the crew get out.

That was the late fifties or early sixties. I was still in Centenary.

There were injuries but nothing serious.

The area is fenced off because of residual radioactivity.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

More recently, a B52 loaded with a nuclear equipped weapon by mistake flew from Minot to BAFB. Punishment was handed out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom