St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The risk he's referring to is not operational, it is financial.

That very well could have been the root of his response.
    shrug.gif

Hell, the conversation about this was last year sometime.
    We talk about ducks and crawfish way more than fracking.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    I remember being told about a oil well drilled near the Causway bridge that hit fresh water at 30,000 feet.

This is how nonsense gets propagated across the web. There are no 30,000 foot wells anywhere near here. There are are three 22,000 foot deep wells and one 24,000 foot well near the northern end of the Causeway in Lake Ponchartrain. They were looking for Tuscaloosa production. Oftentimes the Tuscaloosa is sour gas production so be thankful they didn't hit. And in 34 years of analyzing oil wells I've never seen a well that had fresh water anywhere near those depths. You want to drink it, go ahead.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Every company has their own mixture. Here is a basic list of chemicals used in fracking. This is the important part, all the chemicals only make up less than 5% of the mixture. It's actually the water/ sand with the pressure that does the actual frack.

http://fracfocus.org/chemical-use/what-chemicals-are-used

And also know that once the frack is done and the well becomes active and begins to produce, the first thing that is flowed is the frack fluid. Some gas and oil, but mostly frack fluid. It is run through separators, which separates the the oil/ gas from the fluid. The oil/ gas goes to production lines while the frack fluid is collected in in holding vessels and is eventually disposed of. Which is the most regulated part of the whole process.

You guys have to realize this present day oilfield is not the same "cowboy" system that was in place years ago. It is very highly regulated. The area my rig drills in is just north of Denver, we have people's homes within a 1/4 mile of the rig at times. IF the population deems our rig is making too much noise then we have to install 50' sound walls around the rig. Half my day is filled with the paperwork that I send off to the COGCC and BLM. We report everything that happens on a day to day basis.

Most of you are correct about the money and traffic. But one rig in your area will not create traffic jams. Maybe on some days depending on what operation is happening on the rig, you may see up to 10 new 18 wheelers in the area. But this does not happen on a daily basis.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Yes, if a rig is present during fracking operations. A drilling rig is large, if a rig is present during a frack it's usually a smaller workover rig. During a frack operation you will see lots of large pump trucks and frack tanks.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You talking about the stuff showen to have no effect on wildlife.

This doesn't make much sense, after reading gunut's link. I recognize a few things in there that are not good. HCl, Ethylene Glycol(anti-freeze), Ammonium persulfate(causes asthma mostly in women due to prolonged exposure), Glutaraldehyde(disenfects medical equipment, is toxic).

Here are a few more from wikipedia

Quaternary ammonium compounds can display a range of health effects, amongst which are mild skin and respiratory irritation [11] up to severe caustic burns on skin and gastro-intestinal lining (depending on concentration), gastro-intestinal symptoms (e.g., nausea and vomiting), coma, convulsions, hypotension and death.[12]

They are thought to be the chemical group responsible for anaphylactic reactions that occur with use of neuromuscular blocking drugs during general anaesthesia in surgery.[13] Quaternium-15 is the single most often found cause of allergic contact dermatitis of the hands (16.5% in 959 cases)[14]

Reproductive effects of trace amounts[edit]
    Quaternary ammonium-based disinfectants (Virex and Quatricide) were tentatively identified (by researcher Patricia Hunt - who previously uncovered the reproductive system effects of bisphenol A) and were also identified by researchers at other labs, as the most probable cause of jumps in birth defects and fertility problems in caged lab mice.[15]

Magnesium peroxide is an irritant that can cause redness, itching, swelling, and may burn the skin and eyes on contact. Inhalation can also cause irritation to the lungs, nose, and throat, as well as causing coughing. Long term exposure may lead to lung damage, shortness of breath, and tightening of the chest. Ingestion of MgO2 can cause numerous adverse effects including: bloating, belching, abdominal pain, irritation of the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.[8][9]

Environmentally, Magnesium peroxide is not a naturally occurring compound and is not known to persist in the environment for prolonged times, in its complete state, or to bio-accumulate. The natural degradation of MgO2 leads to Magnesium hydroxide, O2, and H2O. If spilled MgO2 should be contained and isolated from any waterways, sewer drains, and it should be isolated from combustible materials or chemicals including paper, cloth, and wood[6].

Isopropyl alcohol and its metabolite, acetone, act as central nervous system (CNS) depressants. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption; therefore, well-ventilated areas and protective gloves are recommended. Around 15 g of isopropyl alcohol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated.[20] However, it is not nearly as toxic as methanol or ethylene glycol. Isopropyl alcohol does not cause an anion gap acidosis (in which a lowered blood serum pH causes depletion of bicarbonate anion) unlike ethanol and methanol.

I got tired of going down the list.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    A person can drink frack fluid. Most of it has less chemicals than the processed food we buy. Prolonged exposure to the sun will give you skin cancer. Might want to stay inside.

I have a question for the St. Tammany folks. How many of you get your drinking water from water wells on your property?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    WOW! Yea BIG difference. Living in SWLA, Rigs pop up like mole hills around here. Haven't seen one like you posted.

My favorite back road home has now been completely torn up b/c a rig went up right off the road :p
    .....in like RECORD TIME mind you.... That place went from being a wooded area, to cleared, to a dirt pad with a rig on it,
    in MAYBE 10-12 days. I had never seen a place so quickly transformed. I went home on a Thursday and it was like a 6 acre dirt pad.
    That Monday morning from around 2 miles away, I thought I had seen a UFO :D considering I've driven down that dark, no street lights back road for 8 years
    and never once saw a light there As I got closer the were Mobile Homes and Trucks everywhere with a tall tower.

I was impressed with the logistics of getting all that done within two weeks. Of course down a back road barely driven helps too I'm sure.

That Monday a.m.;
    30Yhyek.jpg

That Monday afternoon;
    GYJltms.jpg

Picture taking from right here> http://goo.gl/maps/2o9C9

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    A person can drink frack fluid. Most of it has less chemicals than the processed food we buy. Prolonged exposure to the sun will give you skin cancer. Might want to stay inside.

I have a question for the St. Tammany folks. How many of you get your drinking water from water wells on your property?

If I'm not mistaken everyone who doesn't live inside City Limits.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Interesting.

We get 'city water' as we call it,
    but the nearest city to us is Kinder, 20 miles away. :dunno:

Beauregard Water offers water to my area,
    but many folks have wells.

Last edited:

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    OK, aquifers were mentioned earlier. I do not know the depth of the aquifers in St. Tammany. But the company drilling the wells will know the depths. These aquifers will be sealed off from surface to plus a minimum of 200' below them. Usually a company will exceed whatever depth the local regulators require. For those people that don't know, the aquifer if where you get your well water. As mentioned before also, the aquifers will be sealed with 3 strings of casing and cement on the outside. And sure, there is a chance that this system can break down. But it is a very slim chance.

I am also not sure what depth the production zone is there, but I do know that it will be far deeper in the ground than the aquifer. I can tell you that naturally occurring gas migration takes place without fracking. I also do not know if these wells to be drilled are oil or gas wells. There is a huge difference in the well geometry, depending on what they are after. Gas wells tend to be deeper and drilled vertically. Oil wells are shallower and usually drilled horizontally.

Hitman, you are correct. Oil companies and the contractors that work for them can move mountains in a short period of time, changing the landscape, depending on the area they will return it to as close as they can to what it looked liked before they got there. This is a fairly new rule.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Down here were I live, in the marsh, gas bubbles up to the surface all the time. And it has nothing to do with fracking. We get our water from the city.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    OK, aquifers were mentioned earlier. I do not know the depth of the aquifers in St. Tammany. But the company drilling the wells will know the depths. These aquifers will be sealed off from surface to plus a minimum of 200' below them. Usually a company will exceed whatever depth the local regulators require.

I'm 10 miles or so north of Covington and my well is approximately 180'.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sandman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    St.Amant
    This doesn't make much sense, after reading gunut's link. I recognize a few things in there that are not good. HCl, Ethylene Glycol(anti-freeze), Ammonium persulfate(causes asthma mostly in women due to prolonged exposure), Glutaraldehyde(disenfects medical equipment, is toxic).

Here are a few more from wikipedia

Quaternary ammonium compounds can display a range of health effects, amongst which are mild skin and respiratory irritation [11] up to severe caustic burns on skin and gastro-intestinal lining (depending on concentration), gastro-intestinal symptoms (e.g., nausea and vomiting), coma, convulsions, hypotension and death.[12]

They are thought to be the chemical group responsible for anaphylactic reactions that occur with use of neuromuscular blocking drugs during general anaesthesia in surgery.[13] Quaternium-15 is the single most often found cause of allergic contact dermatitis of the hands (16.5% in 959 cases)[14]

Reproductive effects of trace amounts[edit]
    Quaternary ammonium-based disinfectants (Virex and Quatricide) were tentatively identified (by researcher Patricia Hunt - who previously uncovered the reproductive system effects of bisphenol A) and were also identified by researchers at other labs, as the most probable cause of jumps in birth defects and fertility problems in caged lab mice.[15]

Magnesium peroxide is an irritant that can cause redness, itching, swelling, and may burn the skin and eyes on contact. Inhalation can also cause irritation to the lungs, nose, and throat, as well as causing coughing. Long term exposure may lead to lung damage, shortness of breath, and tightening of the chest. Ingestion of MgO2 can cause numerous adverse effects including: bloating, belching, abdominal pain, irritation of the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.[8][9]

Environmentally, Magnesium peroxide is not a naturally occurring compound and is not known to persist in the environment for prolonged times, in its complete state, or to bio-accumulate. The natural degradation of MgO2 leads to Magnesium hydroxide, O2, and H2O. If spilled MgO2 should be contained and isolated from any waterways, sewer drains, and it should be isolated from combustible materials or chemicals including paper, cloth, and wood[6].

Isopropyl alcohol and its metabolite, acetone, act as central nervous system (CNS) depressants. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption; therefore, well-ventilated areas and protective gloves are recommended. Around 15 g of isopropyl alcohol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated.[20] However, it is not nearly as toxic as methanol or ethylene glycol. Isopropyl alcohol does not cause an anion gap acidosis (in which a lowered blood serum pH causes depletion of bicarbonate anion) unlike ethanol and methanol.

I got tired of going down the list.

I was responding to guy taking about the stuff used during the Bp
    oil spill.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom