Stainless steel weight - 303 vs 304 vs 316

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Hey dudes. Looking at picking up a stainless steel guide rod to add some weight to one of the peashooters, and various manufacturers offer them in 303, 304 and 316 stainless steel.

Some places I look online say that 316 will weigh a bit more while other sites say they're all about the same at least as far as weight goes. For something the size of a guide rode it also might be completely negligible and I'm going down a rabbit hole of nitpicking for no reason.

Anyone familiar with metals able to educate me on this?

noahvale

shootist
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Redstick
    303 or 304 is fine for the rod. 304 is the typical ss used in construction. 316 is the most resistant to saltwater and chemicals, it's harder and more expensive.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Weights between the stainless grades are minimal. If you’re looking for something heavy, try tungsten weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Hey dudes. Looking at picking up a stainless steel guide rod to add some weight to one of the peashooters, and various manufacturers offer them in 303, 304 and 316 stainless steel.

Some places I look online say that 316 will weigh a bit more while other sites say they're all about the same at least as far as weight goes. For something the size of a guide rode it also might be completely negligible and I'm going down a rabbit hole of nitpicking for no reason.

Anyone familiar with metals able to educate me on this?

The weight will be the same between the alloys. As far as the rest see below:
    ovng7tug4fvthcixgfd.jpg

Per my old red and black Ryerson Stock List book.

Just noticed this is an old thread that got bumped.....Sorry I am late southerncanuck.

Last edited:

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    The weight will be the same between the alloys. As far as the rest see below:
    ovng7tug4fvthcixgfd.jpg

Per my old red and black Ryerson Stock List book.

Just noticed this is an old thread that got bumped.....Sorry I am late southerncanuck.

Latest and last print edition. We are strictly digital now so don’t lose your hard copy. They are worth their weight in gold in the digital era.
    0dfd117dbd89b5095d700a62d5afc431.jpg

0317a48d42f03f3e02d73b67b35c2227.jpg

Customers beg me for a copy of one but I’m not giving up the only one I have left... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom