State Rep let off DWI charges by judge; video shows him pleading with trooper

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Yes but the likely hood of injury needs to come into play. The vast majority of people that drive drunk are not involved in vehicle incidents. Shooting into my yard while my kid is in the back is criminally negligent or at least reckless. Acting like there is no difference between the two is like saying banning guns would eliminate any risk of gun crimes so lets do that.

horse dung. how do YOU have any idea whatsoever how many people drive drunk vs the ones that hurt people??? exactly, you really don't.

I didn't say shooting INTO your yard, just shooting period in the adjacent yard. driving drunk is also "criminally negligent or at least reckless" which is why it's also illegal.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I think that a better way of dealing with crime is harsh punishment after a crime is committed not trying to make laws that make it harder for a person to commit it.
    How is it that DWI laws make it harder to get blitzed and slip behind the wheel? DWI laws are all about the penalty.
    DWI is a victimless and any crime that has no victim except for the person doing the crime is not really a crime at all.
    Yeah, driving while intoxicated is a victimless crime, that is until it's your family member they kill. So we should just let 'em all go on as long as that hasn't happened yet, right? I've got a great idea! Post your phone number, and police can start calling you to come give a ride to every drunk they stop that hasn't YET hurt or killed anyone. Make sure to keep your tank filled.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I....I just can't bring myself to believe he's being serious.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    According to Lazard's report, Badon was stopped for improper lane usage, but after viewing the video Judge Herman Clause sided with Sallinger and Badon deeming there was no basis for the traffic stop.

If this is accurate, than anyone with a decent lawyer, politician or no politician, should have been able to get the charges dropped. I'm not saying what he did was excusable, but you can't get pulled over for the hell of it.

My problem with the DUI penalties is that there is really not much discretion between someone who enjoys a few beers responsibly, and someone who drinks a 12 pack and gets behind the wheel.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My problem with the DUI penalties is that there is really not much discretion between someone who enjoys a few beers responsibly, and someone who drinks a 12 pack and gets behind the wheel.

You are correct. And I will support your assertion with this; I have a very high tolerance to alcohol. My wife does not. One bottle of wine for me, and I am just getting warmed up. 1 for her, she's toast. Yes, I outweigh her. But not enough to compare my BAL and hers equally.

I would be glad to drink enough to be well over the legal BAL, then take an impartial driving skill test and bet that the instructors or the testers positiviely will not detect any nuance or hint of intoxication by the driving alone. Wife would run the testers over.

So for that point you made, yes; it doesn't seem equitable. Unfortunately for you, that's the only way they can do it at this time. But the field sobriety test is the variable. If you drink and drive you little whino college bastard, you must pull the wool over on the cop in the field, cause the BAL will not be so impartial.

BTW: Just kidding about the LWCB remark.:D Levity is always in style.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    If this is accurate, than anyone with a decent lawyer, politician or no politician, should have been able to get the charges dropped. I'm not saying what he did was excusable, but you can't get pulled over for the hell of it.

KATC's website has more of the video... including his "wide" turn... so wide he basically ran off the road... and him attempting the field sobriety test... it's quite clear the trooper had cause to stop him... the judge let him off.

Aaron

EDIT: http://www.katc.com/news/dash-cam-video-released-of-rep-badon-s-dwi-arrest/

Last edited:

reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    The fact that this representative got off is the problem. DWI is a poor unconnected man's problem. If you have money or know someone, you stand a good chance of getting off. After years of this (people getting a pass) the laws are made tougher and people like this get a pass. These people pass stricter laws and know it won't affect them, at least not like it would me. If you have a gun someone could get shot, if you have a car someone could get killed, there are many ways to accidently kill someone. Negligence is negligence, drunk or buzzed or straight. I am taking my life in my hands every morning with these f$%&ing people texting and on the phone.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    KATC's website has more of the video... including his "wide" turn... so wide he basically ran off the road... and him attempting the field sobriety test... it's quite clear the trooper had cause to stop him... the judge let him off.

Aaron

EDIT: http://www.katc.com/news/dash-cam-video-released-of-rep-badon-s-dwi-arrest/

In that case... that's BS! :mad:

The fact that this representative got off is the problem. DWI is a poor unconnected man's problem. If you have money or know someone, you stand a good chance of getting off. After years of this (people getting a pass) the laws are made tougher and people like this get a pass. These people pass stricter laws and know it won't affect them, at least not like it would me. If you have a gun someone could get shot, if you have a car someone could get killed, there are many ways to accidently kill someone. Negligence is negligence, drunk or buzzed or straight. I am taking my life in my hands every morning with these f$%&ing people texting and on the phone.

+1

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The fact that this representative got off is the problem. DWI is a poor unconnected man's problem. If you have money or know someone, you stand a good chance of getting off.

It's not as comfy cozy as it used to be. My niece (straight A's at LSU/no priors of any sort/first offense), got no jail time, but really got her ears pinned back on probabtion, cost of penality fees, community service, and a warning that a relapse in judgment will cost her dearly.

You have to REALLY be tight with the judge nowadays to skate completely. And, the arrest for suspicion of DUI is still there. That aside, it is much harder for a person with shallower pockets and no lawyer buddies to weather the storm.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Yep if a drunk kills me I don't want it to be a amateur I want a pro so I can be deader. :rolleyes:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    ******** on your ******** the drunk SOB crossed the fog line. I think he should have charged him with RS 32:79
    Chilllllll man... it's obvious he crossed the line.. I was simply stating that it's BS that he got off, since my original statement was based on the accuracy of the judges ruling.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Yep if a drunk kills me I don't want it to be a amateur I want a pro so I can be deader. :rolleyes:

The point I was trying to make is that the law does recognize that not everyone who drinks alcohol becomes a drunk (i.e. .08 BAL) , I was just stating that the person that drinks 2 beers, in most cases, isn't impaired, but has to suffer the same consequences as the jackass that chose to binge drink and drive. You're more likely to get killed by a texting teenager than someone who grabbed a couple beers with dinner.

Top Bottom