Steel shot in an old 410?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I didn't even know they made steel shot for a .410
    why steel out of a .410? what are you shooting? I'd think you'd have a tough time with waterfowl with a 410

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I think Nick's right about the steel, and the only thing non-toxic from a factory that you'll find for a .410 is bismuth, and it is malleable like lead and should not harm a thing.

Now there is always the possibility you are going to reload your own shells with steel shot, and I would think it would be safe as long as you use the correct shot cup, and the shotgun does not have a Full or X-full choke.

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Some barrels apparently have issues with steel shot, to be safe...I would assume that an old .410 would be one of those.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Some barrels apparently have issues with steel shot, to be safe...I would assume that an old .410 would be one of those.

Yes, if it is an older gun with a damascus barrel or an antique model, I would not shoot steel through it. If it is a somewhat "newer" style I think he would be fine as long as it has a modified or more open constriction choke. I dont think he will find any current production steel shot for a .410, but if he does, I wouldnt be afraid to shoot it, as modern steel shot has progressed leaps and bounds since it was first mandated back in the 80's when they just replaced the lead with steel pellets. New thicker shot cups protect the barrel from the actual steel, and allow for some compression through the choke, as the steel shot pellets themselves do not. That being said, if your gun does have a tight choke, or you are the slightest bit worried about firing steel through it, find some bismuth or Hevi-shot, as it has just about the same properties as lead shot, and will be fine. You dont say what chamber it is, but if its a 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" you will be hard pressed to find any non-tox load. the 3" are a couple dollars a piece:eek3:

Vermiform,
    more information on the gun would be nice. make/model/chamber/choke, etc...

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Winchester model 37, says choke under the model number but not how much, 3 inch chamber.

I didn't know steel shot in 410 was rare. If it is expensive, I won't be shooting it anyway so no worries. I just remembered my dad saying his old 12 guage was for lead shot only and that steel would bulge the barrel. I was wondering if that carried over to 410s as well. Glad it doesn't or at least isn't an issue with me.

Top Bottom