Steel Targets?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WongBob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Heflin, LA
    I want to get several steel targets for shooting around the house. I shoot paper now but I want steel. Shooting 9mm, .223, .308 .22lr, 20ga, 12ga, and maybe some 7mm wsm from distances. I want to buy a bunch at one time but I ain't trying to spend $1000 on targets. Where are y'all getting stuff from? I found some 6 packs on ebay... I have also looked at some ar500 stuff but prices on that seem to be really high for a small piece of steel. I really like hickock45's(youtube) setup but I haven't found a lot of that stuff.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I want to get several steel targets for shooting around the house. I shoot paper now but I want steel. Shooting 9mm, .223, .308 .22lr, 20ga, 12ga, and maybe some 7mm wsm from distances. I want to buy a bunch at one time but I ain't trying to spend $1000 on targets. Where are y'all getting stuff from? I found some 6 packs on ebay... I have also looked at some ar500 stuff but prices on that seem to be really high for a small piece of steel. I really like hickock45's(youtube) setup but I haven't found a lot of that stuff.

These are the best prices I could find on the ar500 stuff http://www.arntzentargets.com/index.htm

You can hang them with a shepherds hook from walmart = real cheap method.

Honestly I was looking into buying ar500 steel and creating my own and it seemed cheaper to buy it straight from them then to purchase ar500 in sheets.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Do yourself a favor and buy some AR500, there are some good prices to be had in the right places. If you plan on shooting rifles at your targets, anything less than AR500 will not last long.

Wideners.com has a decent selection and good prices, they also have a "value pack" for about $250. They also have some of the farm animal shaped targets.

Shootsteel.com has really good prices too, but I don't recall seeing a "valu pack". This is the site of one of the main sellers on ebay. He is growing and makes good targets.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Becareful shooting steel!!! It can bite you if not done correctly. The plates need to be at least 3/8" thick anything less won't do,except for rimfire work. Regular steel plate will do for most handgun work such as the 9's, 40 and 45 stuff. Rifle steel is a whole new ball game. Look at MGM and see what they are using. Rifle plates, even the real good ones can be damaged when using steel core ammo or if you hit the edge of the plates. If you can get a local metal shop to water cut some plates for you, that would be one of the best ways to get some. You would be using a local supplier and there would not be any shipping cost. Since this is not for a match, hanging the steel with chains or sections of old tires is a good idea. Have your supplier cut a bolt hole as well. For shotgun work, mild steel at least 3/4" thinck. I have plates we shot with slugs and anything less will be destroyed in short order. Slugs are awesome projectiles and will do more damage than rifle ammo at short distances. If you dent, potmark or bend the steel from shooting it will start throwing the bullets back your way. I have seen a lot of steel good and bad. Good steel is a lot of fun, bad steel is dangerous. Most folks don't know the difference.

Beauxdog

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    My friend Golden Dragon gives you good advice on MGM targets...high-quality rifle rated stuff in all sorts of types and sizes...get on their e-mail list and you'll get a monthly sale that can build up your collection more economically.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I split a 3/8" Value pack from Wideners with my uncle and it is high quality steel. I have shot it with 9mm, 40, 45, 357 magnum as well as 22lr. The only thing that left a smudge on the steel was the 357 out of a carbine at like 15 yards. Besides that one smudge if I paint them you wouldn't be able to tell they have been shot at all. They have literally taken thousands of rounds most of that from a full auto m11/9.

Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    I buy from MGM targets, and have the 42" popper and the triple dropper. Both can take a hit from a .300 Win Mag at 100 yards and not have the slightest induntation.

Top Bottom