Stemple M76/45?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    So I have been perusing various auctions for a transferable submachine-gun in 9mm or .45ACP. I found a Stemple M76/45 in very good shape and I have a few questions ...

• Anyone shot one of these and, if so, what did you think? Most of what I'm reading is positive on the web, but I figured I'd ask.
    • What is a fair price, roughly, for an early, good condition 76/45 with only one magazine and no other accessories? The Machine-gun Price Guide has it around just over $6,000-ish, but I'm not sure how accurate that is in the current market.
    • Finally, this variant runs on modified M3 "grease gun" magazines. Anyone know how big of a chore it is to modify M3 magazines to work with this model?

Thanks for any information. :)

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    So I have been perusing various auctions for a transferable submachine-gun in 9mm or .45ACP. I found a Stemple M76/45 in very good shape and I have a few questions ...

• Anyone shot one of these and, if so, what did you think? Most of what I'm reading is positive on the web, but I figured I'd ask.
    • What is a fair price, roughly, for an early, good condition 76/45 with only one magazine and no other accessories? The Machine-gun Price Guide has it around just over $6,000-ish, but I'm not sure how accurate that is in the current market.
    • Finally, this variant runs on modified M3 "grease gun" magazines. Anyone know how big of a chore it is to modify M3 magazines to work with this model?

Thanks for any information. :)

its just shocking how expensive these things are now. Before 86.. most dealers were having a seriously hard time even moving them. IIRC they were being sold for under $200 when new.

The value really depends on the serial number range and date produced. the last guns that came out need lots of work to run right and are really "loose" due to the dies on the machines just being worn out when they were made. wobbly stocks are also interesting to fix.

Stemple is also a copy of the S&W gun. the S&Ws are much more sought after.

Its a super cheaply made gun. IMO, you'd be way better off buying a Mac for a first full auto. They should be in the same price range and there is way better support for them.

Are you looking to buy as an investment, as a shooter, or both?

you may want to talk to the IA guys to see what they either have available, or can find you.

If it is Ruben sandwich that has the gun, his stuff is ALWAYS nice, but you ALWAYS pay out the nose for it.

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Thanks for the details.

Concerning the serial number, it is listed as, quote, "Serial number very, very low". I will need to confirm with the buyer. This isn't being offered by Ruben, and I've seen what you mean by his prices. The auction is at $4,000 now, but the reserve is not met, so I was curious how far north of that figure would be reasonable. I, generally, don't bother with auctions with a reserve, but this one piqued my interest.

To answer your question, I'm looking for a shooter only. While historical pieces are neat, they come at a premium, and I just want to enjoy some mag-dumps on warm afternoons.

Good point on the Macs. They look fun and there seems to be a lot of aftermarket parts/support for them.

Thanks again.

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    I own a MkIII that I enjoy. Not a big fan of the early ones with folding stock, had to modify grease gun mags. Later ones use un-modified mags, easier to use catch, have collapsable stock, better trigger. Still a "tube gun" and a bit on the cheaply made side, but lots of fun.
    John passed away a few years back, and I THINK his brother is handling the business now, so I don't think parts are an issue if needed.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Lot of variations in these guns like Buzz said, I have had probably 30 of them now and they were all a little different. Shoot good, the sear catch on the bolt is sometimes soft so I recommend hardening it and the nose cone.

Mags arent overly expensive and easy to modify, trigger pull varies from years but generally hard but not much travel which is a plus.

Parts are still easy to get recoil springs wear out as well as buffers. They are nice beginner machine guns and suppress well at that.

Top Bottom