Stupid castle nut !

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    I broke an ar tool trying to get the castle nut off.Everyone sAid that if it wasn't a Lmt it would twist right off. Tips ? I wAs using a cheAp American tactical wrench anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to instAll an asap plate btw.

Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Its a bcm lower it is staked.

The fawking stakes wont back out, even dremeled them out and it still wond budge.

Took the pistol grip off when heating it up incase it was asseumbled with loctite and a million fawking parts fall out.

Euguene stoner sucks.
    Kalash FTW.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Its a bcm lower it is staked.

The fawking stakes wont back out, even dremeled them out and it still wond budge.

Took the pistol grip off when heating it up incase it was asseumbled with loctite and a million fawking parts fall out.

Euguene stoner sucks.
    Kalash FTW.

Well, it is doing what it was designed to do............not come off! I have 0 experience with an asap plate, but do you need the end plate still, or no? if not, you could CAREFULLY score the area between the buffer tube and the indentation on the rear of the reciever plate with a cutting wheel until enough material was removed that you can bend up the end plate. after that you should be able to remove the assembly as a whole piece, and discard the rest of the end plate. Dont forget that when you do take that end plate off, there is a detent and spring that will come out, making it 2 million fawking parts that will have fallen out.

Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Well, it is doing what it was designed to do............not come off! I have 0 experience with an asap plate, but do you need the end plate still, or no? if not, you could CAREFULLY score the area between the buffer tube and the indentation on the rear of the reciever plate with a cutting wheel until enough material was removed that you can bend up the end plate. after that you should be able to remove the assembly as a whole piece, and discard the rest of the end plate. Dont forget that when you do take that end plate off, there is a detent and spring that will come out, making it 2 million fawking parts that will have fallen out.

haha thanks might do that.

Sorry this thing has me frustrated. :mad:

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    You will need a good lower reciever block & a good three tooth castle nut removal tool.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Ar-15-M4-Stock-Wrench/dp/B002E6X44C[/ame]

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Get the DPMS combo tool, a good lower block or vice jaws, some kroil, and a heat gun. Put kroil on it for a few days every day, then heat it with the heat gun till the kroil bubbles, then go at it.

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    I didnt even try to do it my self with my RRA because 1) I didnt have the time and patience, and 2) I really didnt have the patience, I bought the ASAP plate from hebert's since its close to my house and their gunsmith installed it for me, though I did hear him cussing my rifle out a few times so I would assume he was having somewhat of the same problem

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    Jims will, not sure how much they will charge but I know they will, I would have gone there but they were closed and I didnt have to pay to have it put on at hebert's since I purchased the plate from them

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    like everyone said, get a good lower receiver block and a vice and it'll be a lot easier b/c you'll be able to get more torque with the lower receiver very stable. if it's staked, i usually remove the staking w/ a punch. after that, you can get on the castle nut. there's no reason to really add loctite or anything to the castle nut. i tapped the rear detent spring hole, so i'm not worried about the spring coming out and i stake the castle nut after installation. i don't think it's going anywhere

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom