Sugar Cane?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baker Shake

Rating - 100%
    0   0   1
    Sep 15, 2021
    Gonzales, LA
    Anyone know where I could pick up a half dozen or so stalks of sugar cane? I live in Gonzales, don’t mind a little drive and will pay. Just can’t seem to find anywhere to buy any. Thanks!

folivier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Most farmers today use the choppers rather than the old style cutters. So if you ask a farmer you'll probably need a cane knife or machete to cut a few stalks. Also there are commonly some areas in corners that the choppers can't get to. Again ask and you'll probably be able to cut some of that.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Just whatever you do, never ever pull off the road and grab any out of a field. People still do that for some reason and it’s a good way to wind up in a bad situation.
    Yea I never did get that man even as a young child growing up in Louisiana I knew better. Seems like a quick ticket to end up in the hospital, jail, or worse.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Most farmers today use the choppers rather than the old style cutters.
    Off topic but id love to talk with farmers who made the transition and kept accurate records to know the profit difference in only sugar produced for long stalk vs billets (chop cop). For example, checks from the sugar mill for one square or two for both types. The only good data i found is this but it's for planting season.

My goal is to see if the combines are the lords gift to farmers or a cancer.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    The combines are more efficient. They cut the cane, it goes straight to a cane wagons. No need to come behind and pick it up with a loader. There are other benefits but I think that is the main one.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    The combines are more efficient. They cut the cane, it goes straight to a cane wagons. No need to come behind and pick it up with a loader. There are other benefits but I think that is the main one.
    Of course it's more efficent. But combines cost hundreds of thousands. The wagons cost a fortune. I just want to compare to see if the efficiency is worth it.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    I started to type a long response on the cost of double row cutters, cane loaders, combine efficiency on laid down cane, daily quotas etc etc but I just feel it will turn in to something I don’t feel like arguing about. Hopefully a farmer will answer your question.
    Merry Christmas.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Off topic but id love to talk with farmers who made the transition and kept accurate records to know the profit difference in only sugar produced for long stalk vs billets (chop cop). For example, checks from the sugar mill for one square or two for both types. The only good data i found is this but it's for planting season.

My goal is to see if the combines are the lords gift to farmers or a cancer.
    It’s the way of the world, keep up or get left behind. Whole stalk harvesters have been out of production for some time now. While there are still a few used during harvest most are only used to cut the whole stalks for planting. Even that will be coming to an end one day, it’s hard to keep these dinosaurs alive. Planting billets probably accounts for 20% of the planting in the state and it’s increasing every year.
    Our farm made the transition from whole stalk to a chopper harvester in ‘97. The chopper will pick up and gather cane with minimal loss especially when the cane falls.

And to the OP just pull up to any sugar cane loading site, preferably on a dry day, and look around for the oldest guy you see and go talk to him.

folivier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Look at a field before harvest. You'll probably see some areas where the cane looks blown down. That was a nightmare for the old type cutters. Constantly breaking chains, having to raise the cutter too high, needing scrappers to cut the cane left by hand, etc. When cane lays down like that it sometimes grows new roots making it difficult to harvest and a big loss to the farmer. The new choppers don't care how twisted up the cane is.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I started to type a long response on the cost of double row cutters, cane loaders, combine efficiency on laid down cane, daily quotas etc etc but I just feel it will turn in to something I don’t feel like arguing about. Hopefully a farmer will answer your question.
    Merry Christmas.
    If you want to waste time your time, id love for you to PM me. I'm aware of the cost of the equipment, my dad farmed cane for over 35 years. He went out of business for himself before having to get a combine. I'm only interested in how much more sugar is made per ton. I dont think if i say "yield" it's correct because tons dont exactly mean sugar content.
    It’s the way of the world, keep up or get left behind. Whole stalk harvesters have been out of production for some time now. While there are still a few used during harvest most are only used to cut the whole stalks for planting. Even that will be coming to an end one day, it’s hard to keep these dinosaurs alive. Planting billets probably accounts for 20% of the planting in the state and it’s increasing every year.
    Our farm made the transition from whole stalk to a chopper harvester in ‘97. The chopper will pick up and gather cane with minimal loss especially when the cane falls.
    It seems it was pushed onto farmers instead of an option. in 1997, was your combine able to pick up and gather far better right away with the old varieties? Could you give me a number of how much sugar (in terms of money from mill {assuming CRS was close to the same}) was there in one square of cane after harvested both ways? For example from 1996 to 1998 did you guys produce more sugar for the same variety of cane in a said square of cane? I do understand that is personal info and it's no big deal if you wont share.

Top Bottom